Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 07:09:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAll My Balls
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: All My Balls  (Read 9350 times)
amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: November 05, 2012, 02:48:16 PM »

Physics Color Matching Game

What is All My Balls?
All My Balls is new take on matching color games where you shoot your ball towards other balls in order to destroy all of them (Same Color destroy each other)

It may sounds simple and that's what makes it perfect, Your aim is simple to destroy all the balls by any method, So you can drown it in water or through it in spikes or by any other mean.
There are lots of environment tricks that will confuse or help you to destroy all the balls.

Release Date
To Be Announced

Trailer
Soon

Screenshots

Click on the Image to enlarge it

Game Prototype

Target Platforms
Windows and Mac (for sure)
Linux and iOS (May be)

I will try to finish the game soon and will try to update this devlog continously and writing everyday progress.
This game will be my 2nd Commercial title.

Thanks for reading and Hope you like the game Smiley

« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 01:37:18 PM by amidos2006 » Logged

W3REWOLF
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 02:57:53 PM »

The concept is pretty good. I could see this being a great mobile game.

The only problem I have is that the level design is a little rough. This style of game does really well when you do a good job of explaining a feature and giving the player a couple levels of increasing difficulty using that feature, and then adding in something new..and repeating this until theyve learned everything there is too offer.

Play around with this. I found it a little difficult at first to really understand what I was supposed to be doing until I played a couple levels and figured it out.

amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 03:44:57 PM »

The concept is pretty good. I could see this being a great mobile game.

The only problem I have is that the level design is a little rough. This style of game does really well when you do a good job of explaining a feature and giving the player a couple levels of increasing difficulty using that feature, and then adding in something new..and repeating this until theyve learned everything there is too offer.

Play around with this. I found it a little difficult at first to really understand what I was supposed to be doing until I played a couple levels and figured it out.

Thanks for trying the game Smiley I know the prototype is super difficult so I will keep that in my mind while making All my Balls Smiley Thanks again for the feedback Smiley

st33d
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 04:10:36 PM »

I am slightly disappointed that there is not a mouth in the game.
amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 04:13:26 PM »

LooooooL for what you want a mouth :D

W3REWOLF
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 09:11:53 PM »

so he can put all his balls in a mouth?  Shrug

amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 12:15:15 AM »

so he can put all his balls in a mouth?  Shrug

Hehehehehehe :D That's Hilarious :D but there would be hundreds of balls so we will need a godzilla mouth to put all of them in the mouth :D

amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 02:35:04 PM »

Day 1
  • Most of the prototype engine is rewritten again in better way
    • Transitions between worlds
    • Player Ball is implemented with power meter
    • Player Ball entrance animation
    • Physics is integrated with the Balls
    • Different Ball Effect (Explosion, Sinking, Changing Color, Teleport)
  • Black Ball: Its a ball that self explode with a timer after shooting
  • Making Graphics for the new effects and modifying old prototype graphics
  • Creating Ogmo editor project to edit the levels

Most of the time is consumed in graphics and making base classes for the up coming code and some design issues.

Also Thanks to Greg Labanov for his feedback on the prototype and amazing ideas to make "All My Balls" a better experience than "Balls", by the way you should consider trying his game "Phantasmaburbia" its an amazing JRPG.

Manuel777
Level 0

Indie rocks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 03:28:04 PM »

The name is catchy  Cheesy

amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 09:24:31 PM »

The name is catchy  Cheesy

Yup that's why I chose it in first place :D

amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 09:25:20 PM »

Hand Joystick You'll probably want to write in an expert mode called all my balls to the wall.
LooooooL :D

amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 03:53:01 PM »

Day 2
Didn't work a lot on the game today because I was having a huge amount of work at college Smiley But I decided I should work even if a little bit Smiley So here what I finished
  • Added Water tiles to editor
  • Added Polygon points (used to define any static polygon shape object in game like water, solid ...etc)
  • Made code that handles the Solid Entities and water Entities

amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 04:21:23 PM »

Day 3
Didn't work much because of some faculty work but I have encountered strange problem with adobe air Sad the size that I define in application.xml is the size of the game with the window borders.
Since the size I want is 960x640 when I get a screenshot and measured the playing ground it was 954x610 which means the window borders is calculated Sad
So is there a way instead of changing the intial size to get border size will be nice (so as to be platform independent as I don't know if that a case in Windows or in all Adobe air) Smiley

About today development
  • Modified a little in the parameters of the ogmo editor project
  • Modified a little in some of old code to be more generic
  • Worked a little on some design issues about gameplay modes as for now the game will have 3 mode (Bomb Mode, One time Ball, Zuma Balls)
  • Made loading code for Starting Ball, Balls, Solid, Water

About the game types will talk about it later and test if the three are good or not and remove the useless ones Smiley so if anyone have more suggestions it will be nice to help me on that project Smiley

Kyle O
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 04:54:37 PM »

I like the title.

my twitter. my itch.io page.
amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 04:59:37 PM »

I like the title.

Hope you liked the prototype and the game after it is finished Smiley

Spring Missile
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 05:18:19 PM »

I like the style Smiley Are you using the Nape physics engine or Box2D? or did you write your own? Smiley

SuperDisk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 05:30:57 PM »

I like the style as well. The puzzles were nice, but some of them were very hard!  Wizard
The music suits as well, a relaxed kind of mood. The quite like the graphics.

Figured out how to play pretty easily as well.. are there going to be any more ways to destroy the balls other than putting them in the lake or colliding them with another color?
amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 12:54:30 AM »

I like the style Smiley Are you using the Nape physics engine or Box2D? or did you write your own? Smiley

Thanks I have used Box2D physics Smiley

I like the style as well. The puzzles were nice, but some of them were very hard!  Wizard
The music suits as well, a relaxed kind of mood. The quite like the graphics.

Figured out how to play pretty easily as well.. are there going to be any more ways to destroy the balls other than putting them in the lake or colliding them with another color?

Thanks Smiley About other ways yes there would be wall spikes, cactus and moving saws and shooting guns to destroy.
There would be other stuffs that helps you moving like moving rafts to pass some lakes and Teleporter and there would be color stains that will change the ball color and bomb that would explode upon collision and windmills and Iceman.
There would be collectible stars in the level and lots of achievements.
Three main Chapters with different Gameplay (Lone Ball Journey like the prototype, Colored Ball Journey where you shoot from a fixed position on all the colored balls (like zuma) and you shoot balls with random color from the ground and Black Balls Journey where you shoot black balls where they start flicker as soon as you shoot them like bombs)
There would be three areas in each chapter (Forest (normal friction), Desert (high friction), Snow (low friction))

if you have more ideas about gameplay or obstacles that we can add it will be nice Smiley

amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2012, 02:14:22 PM »

Day 4
I have worked a bit today but not so much as I want to participate in Fuck This Jam and at same time I was trying to start working on my Master Thesis (a part of my job is to do a master thesis. I am trying to choose a topic about gaming so that is the reason it take too long till now)
  • solving the bug in the displaying the game (the window size consider the size of the title with it)
  • worked on making the fullscreen work (and disabling the escape button from exiting from the fullscreen mode)
  • Made interactions between balls work and between ball and water too

I know I didn't work a lot today but I want to finish my master thesis (as If I didn't finish it in the upcoming year I will be without job and since I couldn't make enough money from indie games till now so I must keep my job) that's why my progress on game is slow(sorry for that).

if anyone can help me to choose a topic for my master thesis or can direct me plz don't hesitate to pm me Smiley I really appreciate that Smiley

amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2012, 04:32:49 PM »

Day 5
I worked today in implementing the shooting technique and I came with several new ones beside the old technique (arrow) so tell me what do is better

1- Arrow Technique (old one)

2- Dots technique where the dots will fade after fixed distance

3- Dots technique where the dots fade after collision with any element in the scene and showing the collision point

4- Predict the full path of the ball before shooting it for a fixed amount of time in future (didn't implement it yet but I know it will be too expensive as I will simulate the physics with every movement of the mouse and predict the future)

So what of these techniques do you think is better for the game as I don't know till now which of them is better so can you tell me what do you think will work better Smiley

In the end thanks to Emanuele Feronato and her amazing tutorials on Box2D Smiley Also this devlog appeared on Dom2D visual showcase of awesome new games Smiley on venus patrol Smiley (link) which is something nice Smiley so thanks Dom2D for that Smiley

Waiting for some feedback Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic