Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:09:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGunbox
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Gunbox  (Read 24559 times)
poe
« on: November 06, 2012, 11:33:43 AM »

Gunbox (Working title) is a coop arena survival platformer arcade game. Essentially it's a copy of Super Crate Box with multiplayer right now. The server and client stuff already works. I started on November third and waited until now to post. I'll have daily updates.

Features:
Four player coop
One enemy
Six guns
Special timed crates- get them before time runs out to get a mega bonus such as killing all enemies and reviving all teammates
Server side maps- create your own maps and play with friends
Verified usernames- no impersonating other players
Seamless losing- Just get everyone back into the center and you can try again, or kill some time mucking about

By the end of the comp I hope to add a lot more guns, a few more enemies, and polish it off. If there is any interest, I can host the game at the end of the compo and we can all play together.  Smiley

Oh and do tell me if you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them!

Sprites courtesy of Rasse
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 07:30:16 PM by poe » Logged
IndieEmma
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 12:32:48 PM »

Is this really a sport?
poe
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 12:34:39 PM »

Is this really a sport?

I think so but I guess if others disagree I can remove it...
poe
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 03:54:48 PM »

Added bats, they fly, and have only one health.
I also added a particle effect for when you kill enemies.
Fixed the map being asymmetrical.
Polished up the server a bit.
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 05:09:51 PM »

Is this really a sport?

Of course it is. Shooting's been a sport for a long time. I think part of the "sport" part of the theme is having a bit of complexity and nuance to the controls, tho, so just copying super crate box might be a little too silly...

Get the demo itch.io
Follow @lunarsignals on twitter
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 05:38:27 PM »

Is this really a sport?

Of course it is. Shooting's been a sport for a long time. I think part of the "sport" part of the theme is having a bit of complexity and nuance to the controls, tho, so just copying super crate box might be a little too silly...

psch... what?! that means COD, Doom, etc., can all be categorised under "Sport"...

@poe you can make it more sporty for sure, just call it 'hunting game', and have the enemies be scary animals that need to be shot, like bunnies and what not.

poe
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 05:50:56 PM »

Is this really a sport?

psch... what?! that means COD, Doom, etc., can all be categorised under "Sport"...

@poe you can make it more sporty for sure, just call it 'hunting game', and have the enemies be scary animals that need to be shot, like bunnies and what not.

I think I'll just have it moved out of the competition. Thanks for the input guys.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 06:04:04 PM »

I think I'll just have it moved out of the competition. Thanks for the input guys.

How come? You could call the game "Nature Hunter" and make it a pun on the awfulness of hunting animals for sport. I wouldn't take the comp rules too seriously, and getting this in the top 5 games would be great exposure.. but anyway, I'm probably not doing the comp, so just ignore me.

poe
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 06:14:29 PM »

How come? You could call the game "Nature Hunter" and make it a pun on the awfulness of hunting animals for sport. I wouldn't take the comp rules too seriously, and getting this in the top 5 games would be great exposure.. but anyway, I'm probably not doing the comp, so just ignore me.

Well it's only a side project anyways so exposure doesn't matter to me. People feel like it doesn't fit and I don't want to request too much from Rasse. Not a big deal to me either way Smiley Thanks for the encouragement though!
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 06:36:37 PM »

okilydokily! :D

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 07:04:23 PM »

Hah, so this is what you did with your cool sprites from the pixel art thread (?). Nice art. Do you plan to expand Super Crate Box at all?

IndieEmma
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 12:12:25 AM »

Looks awesome.
poe
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 12:03:45 PM »

Hah, so this is what you did with your cool sprites from the pixel art thread (?). Nice art. Do you plan to expand Super Crate Box at all?

Not my art, I asked Rasse if I could use it since it looked amazing. Yeah I do plan to expand on it such as more variety in content(enemies, guns, maps). As well as making it feel more like a survival game(waves, upgrades maybe?)

Any monumental changes will be optional though to let people play normal crate box multiplayer, since some people might want that.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 01:54:56 PM »

Ah, that's right. Couldn't remember who made it.

Cool, though. Multiplayer might be nice, but maybe you should expand the level size? Seems like it'd be too simple to block the exit with two players.

caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 02:12:17 PM »

I hope that box is a placeholder!
poe
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2012, 02:16:20 PM »

I hope that box is a placeholder!

It is!

Yeah I think I'm going to expand the levels, they're definitely too small for three or four people.
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2012, 02:32:12 PM »

Are they? Isn't that part of the chaos?
poe
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2012, 02:34:13 PM »

Are they? Isn't that part of the chaos?

I suppose, but adding an extra map that's bigger can never hurt Smiley
poe
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2012, 04:09:42 PM »

Progress Update

Added the new map. You can make the maps with tiled, it's pretty simple stuff. I also added a new weapon, Dash. You run faster and kill all enemies in your path. I think I need to add a Super Smash Bros. esque arrow thing to point towards the crate when it's off-screen.

How should I handle map selection? The server has a bunch and users can vote?

EDIT:

Full map in case anyone cares.
Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2012, 06:05:57 PM »

Huge maps are nice - I just hope you add more enemy types - and perhaps player hazards(likes spikes) to make the game even more challenging.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic