Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1059205 Posts in 43057 Topics- by 35006 Members - Latest Member: barbaraholland

October 31, 2014, 12:29:24 AM
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesHow many people actually know how to play Dwarf Fortress?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: How many people actually know how to play Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 2672 times)
Capntastic
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2012, 01:03:41 PM »

I know everything about Dwarf Fortress's inside baseball and I won't tell anyone anything except for cryptic snide remarks.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

team_q@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2012, 01:41:14 PM »

I played a bunch around the time before and after it made the jump to a 3d world.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Bandages
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2012, 11:23:46 AM »

I make one fort every year, but I used to play a lot more back in HS because it could run on my netbook and it was more interesting than 2/3 of my classes.

I love the changes to adventure mode, that always appealed to me more. It's still pretty... rough, but the combat is a bit more fun now with targeting and things like necromancers and vampires.

In what other game can you impale an enemy with the corpse of another enemy?
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2012, 01:17:00 PM »

the game is never not going to be in alpha, so the interface will probably always be shitty.

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Noir Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2012, 02:02:42 PM »

I already said that.

The scope of Toady's game is so big and taken so long already, I wouldn't be surprised if it was fueled purely by massive amounts of PCP and RedBull.

Or if he was secretly a game making AI; like SkyNet only with rougelikes instead of sending death robots to the past.  Cool
nikki
Level 10

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2012, 03:27:03 PM »

Toady One puts it under serious consideration, even mentioned that he plans to make it full 3D in the future (even though nobody asked for a 3D game)

huh, it's allready 3d though right, coming from a 2d world.. have you got a link or something on that ?

as for the question of the post, yeah I do sort of, atleast enough to build a little empire and have fun until bored. just watch some youtube on it and/or install the lazy newb pack , it might be just for you!

shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2012, 03:30:05 PM »

yeah but I can't do complex stuff like irrigation and those insane lava traps you find on youtube, I can generally get a nice lil fortress going and then suddenly tigers or elves appear and they all die :<

olücĉbelel
Muz
Level 10

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2012, 06:22:27 PM »

Toady One puts it under serious consideration, even mentioned that he plans to make it full 3D in the future (even though nobody asked for a 3D game)

huh, it's allready 3d though right, coming from a 2d world.. have you got a link or something on that ?

As in polygons. Lol, it's a needle in the haystack, under the yearly 200 page development discussion threads and the massive feature list they had a while back. But the original Slaves to Armok was also polygons.

It's not on the "any time soon" list, though. They had a "presentation arc" at one point which was supposed to be a graphical overhaul, but it seems to have been buried too.

A somewhat old thread on this from DF's designer/project manager:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=34311.0

Dev list here:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html

It used to be more insane, but they've wrapped up the combat mechanics last year and greatly improved the adventurer mode over this year. Looks like next year's focus is procedural story generation.
antoniodamala
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2012, 07:58:52 AM »

There's a book with 240 pages about how to get started with Dwarf Fortress http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920022565.do

That shit is cray.
team_q
Level 10

team_q@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2012, 08:20:17 AM »

I think some people miss the point, the simulation itsself's insane depth is the draw, you feel like you can do anything, once you know how to do it, baseline survival is pretty simple, there are basic moves that work for any playthrough, and if you get good enough at that, you will want to try new interesting things like: Obsidian towers, Giant Ebony trees with Cages full of captured goblins on their branches, Golden fighting platforms with lava underneath them, for fighting training in your ornate dining room, a network of towers connected underground to repel raiders, a rapture like 3 story tower sunk into a lake, giant waterworks designed to flood and drown raiders, with an out spout to a local river, using a grate to collect their resources, lava heated water that doesn't freeze in the winter. Those are things I've done.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
antoniodamala
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2012, 09:14:19 AM »

I think some people miss the point, the simulation itsself's insane depth is the draw, you feel like you can do anything, once you know how to do it, baseline survival is pretty simple, there are basic moves that work for any playthrough, and if you get good enough at that, you will want to try new interesting things like: Obsidian towers, Giant Ebony trees with Cages full of captured goblins on their branches, Golden fighting platforms with lava underneath them, for fighting training in your ornate dining room, a network of towers connected underground to repel raiders, a rapture like 3 story tower sunk into a lake, giant waterworks designed to flood and drown raiders, with an out spout to a local river, using a grate to collect their resources, lava heated water that doesn't freeze in the winter. Those are things I've done.

That all sounds cool and all, but minecraft does the same through an acessible interface. It takes so much effort to do something in DF at first, that feels like you can't do nothing at all. But as some people pointed out, it's on alpha, so let's wait.
team_q
Level 10

team_q@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2012, 09:21:31 AM »

You can't make nearly as many interesting situations in Minecraft, due to the solo nature of the gameplay. Also, the interface in Minecraft is pretty convoluted as well. You are also missing the entire AI social aspect that is a big part of what makes Dwarf Fortresses interesting.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
IzzyReggie
Level 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2012, 10:21:27 AM »

Also, the interface in Minecraft is pretty convoluted as well.
What? There is a health bar, a food bar, an inventory bar and a mysterious green bar that you will quickly discover is an experience bar.
Whereas in DF there are like a quarter million keys you gotta press and now you've told a dwarf to cook a bun. You win!

Twitter: @fistpuncher (no relation to the game)
antoniodamala
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2012, 11:12:57 AM »

I think there's a misunderstood here, you see, it's not that DF is bad or something, it's just that its interface walls up the game instead of opening up. The game has pretty much a language of its own.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2012, 12:28:54 PM »

So do some of us. And... ?? Cheesy

FTR, I could probably figure it out, but don't need any more timesinkers than I already have on my plate now.

Genuinely curious though... which do you think would be harder to learn:

Being good at programming?

OR

Being good at Dwarf Fortress?

Bandages
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2012, 12:29:07 PM »

That's why the game has a community and a wiki

If you go into a game like DF and try to figure it out yourself, yeah you deserve to be stumped. You're trying to approach some dude's really complex life work and you have so much freedom and no idea what to do and it's paralyzing.

So you go to the community, you get help, you read the wiki, and you play it. Part of the game is sharing how to play with other people. It's not hardwired into the game, so I wouldn't call it a feature, but the community is as much a part of playing DFort as the code that constitutes the game is.
team_q
Level 10

team_q@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2012, 01:29:17 PM »

Also, the interface in Minecraft is pretty convoluted as well.
What? There is a health bar, a food bar, an inventory bar and a mysterious green bar that you will quickly discover is an experience bar.
Whereas in DF there are like a quarter million keys you gotta press and now you've told a dwarf to cook a bun. You win!

There really isn't that much you need to know to get started in dwarf fortress. Mining and getting food, both are pretty easy, there are multiple ways to get food, you can learn in steps and the internet will help

Actually, cooking a bun is probably EASIER as a player in Dwarf Fortress then in Minecraft. You just need to open up your manager window and create an order for a bun to be cooked, and eventually it will, if you have the required items in your stockpiles.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
nikki
Level 10

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2012, 01:44:51 PM »

Being good at programming?

OR

Being good at Dwarf Fortress?

naah, I believe programmer ought to pick it up easier then others, to get 'good' at it it helps if you
  • like to research by googling, or rtfm in general
  • are capable of using a keyboard
  • are willing to remember some keystrokes

so, yeah no OR but yes AND !

and what Castle said.

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2012, 01:45:18 PM »

@baconman: programming. Programming takes logic and an active brain, while Dwarf Fortress only takes lots of time to learn.

Do I need a signature?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic