Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1025748 Posts in 41107 Topics- by 32713 Members - Latest Member: CarlaWolfe

July 23, 2014, 03:41:52 AM
TIGSource ForumsCommunityCompetitionsSportsUltimate Sports (in 3D) [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Ultimate Sports (in 3D) [FINISHED]  (Read 3458 times)
Dr. Cooldude
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 02:30:03 AM »

I always laugh when I fall.
Oh god someone stop me...

Anyways, great game! (even though it's kind of hard but meh) I really love the graphics in it!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 09:21:51 AM by Dr. Cooldude » Logged
whilefun
Level 1

Ah, that's what this field is for...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 06:06:49 PM »

This was pretty funny. Definitely an original take on the theme Smiley

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2012, 11:06:36 AM »

Some of the best art in the compo, and great attention to detail. I felt on a couple of occasions that the obsticles put me in an impossible situation, but as it only takes a few seconds to play I didn't mind. Liked the event names too. How many are there? I didn't want to try and get them all as I've still got a couple more compo entries to try. Good stuff Hand Thumbs Up Left

panthus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2012, 01:30:28 PM »

Thanks for the great comments guys.

A little about the inner workings. The object arrangements are established in little text files for each block of 6 steps such as:
xxxxxxxxx
xoxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxx
xxxxxoxxx
xxxxxxoxx
xxxxxxxxx
I wanted the patterns to be learnable and never impossible. There are a few occasions when the next tile picked does make it impossible but I ran out of time to finesse it. Also which object is picked is purely random and some being taller than others makes some runs through easier or harder. For instance a low obstacle on a step the guy bounds over can be cleared running straight at it. The widely open burger box may be the most annoying one on there.

There are 10 tiles for steps 0-30 and 10 for 30-60 and 10 for 60+. They get denser and were supposed to have larger obstacles on them. I didn't spend as much time testing steps after 60 as I never got around to making the large obstacles, so I can't really vouch for their playability. Also I think the hook has probably worn off before then anyway.

The guy doesn't actually move off 0,0,0; the environment treadmills around him, so when the ragdoll kicks in he does tend to collapse rather than look like he has tripped. Since the comp finished I have played around with giving him an artificial kick and it does look much better.

The event names are pulled out of 3 text files and with a bit of thesaurusing I got to over 100 entries in each. So no, I wouldn't expect anyone to see all the combinations. With a bit of array swapping it discards used ones so you would never see the same one crop up per session unless you played over 100 times. It refreshes on load though because I didn't think it was that important to save out.

One thing I have noticed since finishing is the CPU use tends to creep up to alarming levels on extended play and it gets jittery. I think this may be using mainTextureOffset so much for the facial animation and unity creating a new material instance every time, but I don't really know. Or maybe something to do with sleeping and waking physics a lot. Not really in a position to buy unity pro at the moment so no access to profiling.

I uploaded 1 final final version that has some post comp tweaks. Not sure of competition etiquette for posting updates after the whistle blow so I will just drop it here and leave the first post linked to the version I got done in time. I rounded out the small obstacles with a few more and got a couple of large ones in. Made a contact effect and a better fall. Probably some other little tweaks and there is an easter egg [g]ore mode for if you press a certain key to play...

I learned a tonne of stuff making this and am glad people got a laugh out of it. Cheers all. Btw my highscore is 66... just throwing that out there if you need the competition.

DIRECTOR'S CUT (8.6mb zip):
http://www.dallsop.com/ultimateSports/ultimateSportsDirectorsCut.zip
capn.lee
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2012, 02:14:08 PM »

had loads of fun with this, the screen does seem to not be its intended bounds though
also not sure how i did it, but at one point i restarted and this occurred

this was on the post-compo build.

the newer builds fall is greatly improved with the leap, is there any way you could also encourage him to tumble as well?
panthus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2012, 03:14:06 PM »

hmm yeah I got that on my netbook but figured it was isolated to anyone with a screen res less than 960 high and never really followed up. The guy in the stairs I cannot explain.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic