Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 06:16:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFran Bow - Point & click adventure (+video now!)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Fran Bow - Point & click adventure (+video now!)  (Read 3398 times)
Bladderbloat
Level 0

I make bugs

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2012, 03:20:08 PM »

Hello!

This is going to be my first try at a devlog for our game Fran Bow! It's going to be cool to see it progress (or not, then it's time to nolife again) and when it's done im printing it out as a trophy for my bath-hour. Anyway, heres the stuff!

I will be writing about the entire process up until the date of launch and whatever happens after that, be it for good or really maximal worse. A post-mortem?

About the game:

Fran Bow is a point and click adventure with a touch of horror. You play as Fran Bow, a little girl with a unique perception of the world around her. Her parents are brutally murdered and the only thing she has left is her cat and aunt Grace who takes care of her. But something happens, her cat vanishes and she is taken to an asylum for mad children where she loses her memory. One day the cat appears outside her window and she starts to plot her escape... During her way back home she will unlock fragments of her memory about the murder of her parents and finally discover who did it.

You get to use pills to see the world shift into a gore filled madworld. It's a crucial part of the game since lots of the puzzles need you to jump in and out of the two different realitys. Sometimes using the pills summons Remor, a hallucination of Fran Bows insane mind, and starts chasing you around. If you get caught by him you lose one day out of 60. Lose them all and it's game over. You can always switch off the pills to make him dissappear.

There is going to be some minigames in there aswell. Short but hard retro-games you will need to complete to progress in the game.

Right now we are almost done with the first chapter of five. It'll propably go faster now since im almost done with coding the engine, but goddam those bugs just won't stop reproducing..

Anyway, im the programmer and the second half is my wife doing all the art and game design.
We will put out a run-through video of the first level in the asylum so you can all see some in-game action soon! right now, right here ->

Oh and the girl you see in the photos have had an extreme make-over so it'll be different in the update.

And for the technical part this is all done with Gamemaker Studio, photoshop, gimp and animestudio.

We also have the wordpress http://killmonday.wordpress.com/

Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 01:22:23 PM by Bladderbloat » Logged

"Ei auta itkut markkinoilla, töihin vain."
richie
Level 0

the catalyst for change is a vending machine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 03:23:02 PM »

Nice art direction.  I look forward to a video!

I do art, design and some code.
@pjchardt
Bladderbloat
Level 0

I make bugs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 03:28:57 PM »

Nice art direction.  I look forward to a video!

Thanks! We havnt had much feedback on the looks, so thats encouraging for Natalia! Adds instant +15% to productivity. Gonna try to have the video done during the week.

Satori4
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 03:43:54 PM »

Looks creepy Blink I like the art style Smiley

Forogt to ask, are you planing to release it on iOS, or PC only?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 05:11:06 PM by Satori4 » Logged

@satori4
Bladderbloat
Level 0

I make bugs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 06:15:54 AM »

Looks creepy Blink I like the art style Smiley

Forogt to ask, are you planing to release it on iOS, or PC only?

Yes we are! As soon as we can afford a mac and iphone for testing. And the module needed for gamemaker. That could take a while though  WTF

Got some people who has the macs but they are not so happy to let me borrow their stuff for debugging for more than a few minutes. Especially phones...

Bladderbloat
Level 0

I make bugs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 05:10:20 PM »

The video has been created! Here you can see how the game is coming along.  Evil

t-recx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 05:17:35 PM »

The video has been created! Here you can see how the game is coming along.  Evil

This is looking great! :3
Bladderbloat
Level 0

I make bugs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 10:05:12 AM »

Now it seems that we might do this for Win8 and their phone aswell. I have no clue about the pros n cons about that other than hearing what other people say. Gotta wait until tuesday to hear what they have to say.. could be cool!

Bladderbloat
Level 0

I make bugs

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 10:46:26 AM »

Almost done with the first minigame! It's the one between chapter 1 and 2, where you escape from the asylum.. in PACMAN mode! Might have done it too hard tho, but that's the only way.

This is the style for the minigame!

Bladderbloat
Level 0

I make bugs

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 12:56:31 PM »

Some new stuff to show finally!

Heres the first part of the intro storyboard which will be made like a paper cut-out animation since Game Maker doesnt support video.

This is how the game looks right now, Chapter 2! Wohoo! 3 to go!

A poster Natalia made, trying to get the feel of the game in it. Look at the cat! He will be pettable and follow you around, helping you with stuff.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic