Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1083789 Posts in 44638 Topics- by 36583 Members - Latest Member: Echo-07

January 26, 2015, 12:28:36 PM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsEnvironmental Station Alpha [Demo(Win, OSX)] (GREENLIT)
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54]
Print
Author Topic: Environmental Station Alpha [Demo(Win, OSX)] (GREENLIT)  (Read 109730 times)
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Batatoes.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1060 on: January 04, 2015, 08:21:51 AM »

Inspired by the Greenlight, I started learing digital painting Smiley I think I'll try to make images like this out of the bosses in the game.

GNNNRRBRRNIBRIR
www.hempuli.com
sidbarnhoorn
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1061 on: January 04, 2015, 10:02:01 AM »

Awesome game! Been playing the demo. Love it. Great music too! :D

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Albums:
http://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: January 04, 2015, 11:33:15 AM »

Nice drawing, although I have to admit that I've gotten so used to the minimal pixel look that it feels weird to see an upscaled version now Tongue
eigenbom
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1063 on: January 05, 2015, 03:22:49 PM »

Just had a shot at the demo, I love the ambience and creatures and everything Smiley I feel like you could make the game run a little faster, but despite that I think it's pretty darn awesome.

I noticed that the 'W' in the intro text looks a lot like the 'H', which makes words like here and were a little funny to parse. If you don't want to go past 4 pixels wide then I would make the W something like this:

Or if it's 3 pixels wide then a U with a solid base could work better as a W:

Also all the tutorial stuff needs to be mapped to the buttons on a controller, but I'm sure you're on that already.

Good luck with the Steam release, I've been waiting for this game for years! :D

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Batatoes.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1064 on: January 05, 2015, 04:32:09 PM »

Just had a shot at the demo, I love the ambience and creatures and everything Smiley I feel like you could make the game run a little faster, but despite that I think it's pretty darn awesome.

I noticed that the 'W' in the intro text looks a lot like the 'H', which makes words like here and were a little funny to parse. If you don't want to go past 4 pixels wide then I would make the W something like this:

Or if it's 3 pixels wide then a U with a solid base could work better as a W:

Also all the tutorial stuff needs to be mapped to the buttons on a controller, but I'm sure you're on that already.

Good luck with the Steam release, I've been waiting for this game for years! :D

Thanks! Yeah, I need to work on the sprite fonts a bit, V, W and U are really hard to do properly in 3-pixels-wide sprites!!

GNNNRRBRRNIBRIR
www.hempuli.com
eigenbom
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1065 on: January 05, 2015, 06:01:19 PM »

Yeh I've played around with tiny fonts before, they are a bit of a pain, but fun. I recall yours are more than 1-bit though? If so, that makes things a little easier. Anyway, good luck Smiley

█ █  █ █  █ █ █ █ █ █ ██
█ █  █ █  ███  █   █   █
███   █   ███ █ █  █   ██

coah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: January 05, 2015, 09:35:12 PM »

I think that tiny fonts to that extent are a terrible idea is you want readability. If it's possible it would be good to have the font be able to be wider for some characters that need it. You do get readability from the context of the letters around the ones that don't read well but it's a bit hard on the brain to deal with that.

I've done that stuff a few times and I decided to conform to a base of 3x3, allowing for extensions when it was needed, for letters like b or j, like this;

It's decently readable, but the most readable, lowest resolution font I ever got to was this one:

I realize that you don't have a lot of screen space to work with though. I just wanted to add some thoughts to this little conversation.
oodavid
Level 7

Discombobulated zombie

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1067 on: January 06, 2015, 01:19:21 AM »

European Space Agency
Environmental Station Alpha

Coincidence? I think not.

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 8

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1068 on: January 06, 2015, 05:30:41 AM »

re: fonts. Silkscreen is a very readable and free font designed specifically for ultra low resolution. it's what flickr used for years.

real size:

5x5 pixels per char

TheGreenTie
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1069 on: January 14, 2015, 10:55:40 PM »

I've been out of this thread for so much time.
Did I miss something? How did the Greenlight go?  Droop

I hate everything you like. I press buttons until a game comes out.
Developer & Cartoonist.

@The_Green_Tie
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic