Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1095380 Posts in 45357 Topics- by 37160 Members - Latest Member: Purple_Draws

February 27, 2015, 09:21:14 PM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsFerryman - Programmer found! Onward, to victory!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Ferryman - Programmer found! Onward, to victory!  (Read 2072 times)
Bones
Level 10

Pixel artist, Animator, Programmer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2014, 09:22:51 AM »

Nice I like the idea behind this first game of yours.
The river styx makes an appearance in my game as the continue screen, so it's neat to see other interpretations of it.

You also don't see very many limited Y-axis scrolling shooters.

Charon collected a coin from each rider, so perhaps you could use those coins to get upgrades?
As Taut said get those mechanics solid and then worry about the graphics.

Will be interested to see where this goes, good luck.

Demo Reel 2012

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

Savick
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2014, 10:59:30 AM »

@ ndke The fonts will be changed once I figure out how, lol.

@ Bones Thanks! Yeah since I'm doing both art and code I have to stop myself sometimes when I wanna make things pretty. I do plan to have Charon collect coins from the riders when he drops them off at their destinations as well as other items that will help you. I'm having a shop be in the central town where you can buy stuff.

I'm working on combat right now and already have it so you can hold down the left mouse to fire continuously. Right now it's a matter of creating danger for the player, risk reward stuff. I'll update with another gif later once I make some progress.
Savick
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2014, 10:47:48 AM »

Some brief combat stuff. Enemy's have health and will have a variety of attacks they will shoot out at you. Since Charon can only move left and right and nothing vertical most enemies will come from the air and try to mess you up from there. I want water based enemies, but can't have them shoot directly horizontal from the water's surface because you can't dodge that... Maybe some way to cancel/negate shots fired? Anyway here's a gif.
Savick
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2014, 10:51:44 PM »

The need for a digital artist has been retracted for now. Carry on.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 11:06:53 PM by Savick » Logged
Savick
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2014, 05:33:59 PM »

So I've encountered what I think is a design flaw in the game. Charon's hitbox is basically a vertical box that's attached to the boat. I've decided that the boat doesn't take damage (who knows why, it's supernatural right?). However, since this is a horizontal scrolling shooter with no apparent vertical movement of the thing that shoots at the monsters... the player is going to get hit an awful lot trying to dodge incoming shots that travel mostly in a south west direction.

I'm comparing this problem of mine to other horizontal shmups where the ship is just a horizontal box dodging horizontal shots.

There's always options when it comes to game design, but all I have so far in the way of ideas is changing the combat system to be turn based encounters or something similar.

Do you guys have any ideas?
Sensual_Lettuce
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2014, 05:31:17 PM »

I came up with some ideas:

You could make the guy be able to jump. Might look funny to see the boat jump though. If this was a cartoony game I think it would definitely be fine, but I don't know whether this will fit the atmosphere you wanted.

Perhaps he could even summon waves to make his boat go up higher.

You could do the reverse and make the boat be able to submerge under the water for a time.

You could make the skull that's on the boat block hits. Maybe it could even block only a certain number of hits before crumbling, and then it regenerates after a while.

The enemies cannot shoot at certain angles. The dead zone would be a cone where they cannot shoot (maybe between 40 and 50 degrees).

I'm not sure whether all of these will be feasible for you to implement, but hopefully at least one of them will be useful for you.

Indiedb     |       Twitter      |      Dev Blog
Savick
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2014, 06:13:32 PM »

Hey, thanks Lettuce!
Those are some good suggestions that I'll consider.

What I'm going to do for now is keep the game the way it is and have it auto scroll to the right during sections with enemies in them. That way it forces danger on the player and gives you an incentive to kill the enemies before their shots get in range of you. Just like a shmup more or less. I'll stop the scroll for boss fights and have more complex shot patterns/dodge patterns.

Here's some pics of what I'm working on currently. Let me know if they're too huge and I'll scale them down some.

danieru
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2014, 08:33:07 PM »

I like the new text boxes! They match the theme quite well.

If you're feeling lazy you can skip resizing the images by putting "width=600" before the closing square bracket of the opening img tag. Like this: [img width=700] Since I'm lazy that's how I handle the image sizing.

The art style you have going is also pretty awesome. Now this may not be appropriate but some sort of crazy taxi style gameplay system might be fun. Imagine having a selection of passengers to pick, each one with a bounty on their heads that causes different varieties and strengths of enemies to attack during the voyage. As the player levels up they can tackle more profitable passengers without dieing. For extreme difficulty the player can pick multiple passangers which causes the monsters to double up.

This way the player can control the difficulty scaling and upgrades act as rewards by unlocking more profitable and difficult passengers. Instead of upgrades being how the player keeps pace with the difficulty progression. As a side benefit there is no risk of the player falling behind on their upgrades so the interest curve won't get broken.

Chianese
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2014, 09:43:24 AM »

Love the art style, very reminiscent of classic Lucasarts!

Not a huge fan of shmups usually, but you've definitely got an unique angle to the genre here. The theme should provide inspiration for some pretty crazy boss ideas too...
tieTYT
Level 2

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2014, 09:57:41 AM »

You could make the guy be able to jump. Might look funny to see the boat jump though. If this was a cartoony game I think it would definitely be fine, but I don't know whether this will fit the atmosphere you wanted.

That could look really cool.  I'm visualizing a spin jump like in Metroid but with the scythe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG0q20JXeWc#t=510

Savick: I really like the theme/setting of your game.

Savick
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2014, 12:39:45 PM »

@danieru
Those are some good suggestions. I'll definitely copy paste that into my notes for ideas.

@Chianese
Funny thing is, I'm not a huge shmup fan either. I'm terrible at them. With a game like this I wanted to make something that was like a shmup but more like what I wanted in a game.

@tieTYT
Thanks for the input and I'm glad you like the theme/setting.

Savick
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2014, 01:00:22 PM »

I had sort of a fun time doing both the programming and the art for a while, but I want to step down from the code making and focus on improving/making art for the game since I have a lot more experience at that.

I really like this game idea and it's a pretty solid concept, but I would rather have a more experienced programmer in my group than an amateur like myself.

So, if anyone wants to join in on the Ferryman team as a programmer along with my art and Taut Nerve's music, I'd be glad to have you. I would prefer someone in the states because I'm in the central time zone myself, but other countries are okay too.

PM me on here or email me and we'll talk through Skype after contact.
danieru
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2014, 05:22:43 PM »

You found a programmer already eh? Congrats. Does this mean the game's scope has changed?

Savick
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2014, 05:29:27 PM »

You found a programmer already eh? Congrats. Does this mean the game's scope has changed?

Well, I still want to keep it fairly small and not tackle too many things. At first anyway. My team and I will get a small demo together later this month some time and we'll see where we go from there.
danieru
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2014, 05:43:22 PM »

That sounds like a very responsible plan  Gentleman

jovanmilic97
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2015, 11:40:08 AM »

Nice art and looks very unique.Is this still in development?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic