Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411197 Posts in 69315 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 06:00:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLoot Panic
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Loot Panic  (Read 7163 times)
Boud
Level 0

They try to kill ya everytime...

View Profile WWW
« on: November 12, 2012, 05:21:38 PM »

Loot panic is an arcade game focused on scoring and loot grabbing (hence the name, what a twist !). Initially, we've started this project as an entry for the Unity flash contest but since we're lazy asses we couldn't finish on time. The game kinda grew on us by then, so we figured we polish it and finish it (must be nice finishing a game for a change heh heh..)

So here we are, after a few months work of "discontinuous" work (we both have day jobs that take most of our time). We have the basic gameplay out of the way, even if we lack game balancing and tweaking at the moment. More advanced features are still in development, we'll keep you guys updated on the progress here.

The goal of the game is to gather as much loot thrown away by burdened heroes and send it to an enigmatic merchant for a fistfull of coins, before time is up.

Here is a quick description of the gameplay/rules :

- Some heroes burdened after hours of questing/shopping throw random loot/junk they no longer need from the bridge.(The items are colored depending on the type of hero that throws them, we have four colors/type of heroes).

- You, the player/thief/poor communist squire, must collect as much loot as you can (your bag can hold a maximum of 4 items) and throw them at the merchant below for a few coins. However you must avoid junk items and occasionnal hazards that will loose you precious time and money.

- You can throw items from your bag horizontally to the merchant using the LEFT_CTRL key ( or SPACE BAR ).

- You can throw unwanted items from your bag vertically using the LEFT_SHIFT key ( or UP ). You can also hit heroes and monsters this way. More on that below.

- The merchant wants a specific color/type of items each time. The wanted color can be seen in the” thought bubble” on his head. Throwing an item of the wanted color yields more money than an unwanted object. It also feeds a combo counter, that adds a multiplier to the coins received. The combo counter disappear after a certain amount of time, if not “feeded” with the wanted color objects.

- Avoid junk (brown) items, these are useless and will only break your current combo multiplier if sent by error to the merchant. You won't even get a refund for this crap. You can still use them to kill monsters thought.

- Monsters sometimes roam the upper bridge to frighten the “hipster heroes” who no longer know much about fighting with their focus on fashionable epic sets of equipment. They will make the heroes flee, thus reducing your average loot output (a frightened hero no longer drops loot, but flee with all its heroic legs). You can dispose of these mustached buggers by throwing items right at their face (using the LEFT_SHIFT button or UP)

- Sometimes a damsel will appear and roam the bridge alongside the heroes. She will drop her fine lady handkerchief, and the player must retrieve it and send it back to her (using the LEFT_SHIFT button). If he succeeds in doing so, she will reward him with a kiss that adds a lot of time to the remaining counter.

To reward you after all that rubbish to read, some gifs who always speak better than words.

Here is a couple screens (one is a mockup and the other an actual gameplay gif), we'll update this section, as soon as new features are added or the look of the game updated :

For now the Flying Mustaches is a two man circus, working on their free time and against their laziness :

Funshark (@genshoku): Game Design, Art and never satisfied.

Boud (@MouradNajar): Game Design, Programming and making up excuses.

So far the game is missing a lot of features (Big Monsters, magical objects, unique artefacts...) but is also not tweaked or balanced at all. So keep in mind that this is still a very early development build.

Development build : http://blowmeacartridge.com/lootpanic/

The features we're planning to add in the next days :

• Big Monsters
  • Some tweaks to randomization and probability
  • Yeah i suppose correct all those bugs too

P.S : All sounds and music are placeholders for now (Most of the sounds come from Zelda and the music is from Jonathan Richman)

Thank you for your time and don't hesitate to give us your feedback (good or bad of course, even if we have fragile hearts this time of year Smiley )
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 03:48:21 PM by Boud » Logged
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 05:43:10 PM »

Beautiful animations, but can't the characters have brighter colors? The brown is not very memorable. Main characters should have a color scheme that makes them instantly recognizable. See Mario with red and blue or Link with his green outfit.

I think you got it right with the damsel's pink hair.

amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 02:04:41 AM »

Really nice graphics and animation Smiley isn't there any video for the game in action  Well, hello there!

Chris Polus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 02:24:25 AM »

It seems you're pretty far regarding the aesthetic part Smiley Looks great.

http://stillalive.games
Drone Swarm, Rescue HQ, Bus Simulator, Son of Nor
impulse9
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 06:43:56 AM »

I really like the looks of it. Smiley
Boud
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 11:17:56 AM »

Thank you all for your comments !

AD1337> I don't really agree about the plain color scheme, the character is supposed to be a poor lad, hence the "plain" colors. Also there is some brownish recognizable characters, Indiana Jones for instance, or the character from spelunky (ok that's cheating...)
Point taken though and my fellow developper and sole artist agrees with you in some way.

amidos2006> We haven't made any video however to see the game in action you can try the development build here : http://blowmeacartridge.com/lootpanic/ (You need the unity plugin however). I still need to develop a simple "login"/score system to submit scores outside of facebook (originally our sandbox was within the devil lair). Beware however the game is simply not balanced at all at the moment, and the "randomization" is going freestyle.

I'll update the post with some screenshots and make the link for testing the game stand out more in that pile of text and gifest.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 11:31:16 AM by Boud » Logged
Boud
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 03:31:49 PM »

Updated the initial post with a mockup and an actual gameplay gif (yup that resolution is weird). We'll keep this thread alive as the game grows.

Thinking about an alternative to the small monsters that kinda break the flow of the game. Gotta work on that this week, got some ideas i just gotta prototype them to see if they really work.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 03:50:17 PM by Boud » Logged
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 01:43:42 AM »

Beautiful animations, but can't the characters have brighter colors? The brown is not very memorable. Main characters should have a color scheme that makes them instantly recognizable. See Mario with red and blue or Link with his green outfit.

I think you got it right with the damsel's pink hair.

His giant backpack and scruffy hair can be his trademark. Looks good guys.

One thing, this type of action looks like it could get repetitive. Maybe think about adding achievements, a store so that people can buy stuff with their money, or in-game powerups.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Boud
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 01:57:55 AM »

His giant backpack and scruffy hair can be his trademark. Looks good guys.

One thing, this type of action looks like it could get repetitive. Maybe think about adding achievements, a store so that people can buy stuff with their money, or in-game powerups.

Yes indeed we have such things in store : achievements, magical objects with random bonuses or curses and also collectable unique artefacts and mysterious letters that unlock short stories and artwork.

We haven't thought about monetization thought
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 03:21:09 AM »

No, sorry. I meant a shop where they can spend all the money they got from selling to the man with the tin pot on his head. I see all these floating numbers with gold. How about the character can spend that gold on a bigger bag or better clothes or something? He needs to work his way into being the man on the side. Maybe he can buy a minion?

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Boud
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 03:58:38 AM »

We thought about an ingame shop with uppgrades and cosmetic customization but since it's our first game on unity (not counting aborted prototypes) we wanted to keep it small. Those things could be added afterwards thought. I like the familiar idea this could be one of the "power ups" we have planned.

Initially i wanted him to be able to buy clclothes/gear and even to go on battles/quests but we cut those parts. In early stages he even was the squire of an old drunk and broke knight and the equipement was for him.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 04:15:07 AM by Boud » Logged
amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 07:21:33 AM »

amidos2006> We haven't made any video however to see the game in action you can try the development build here : http://blowmeacartridge.com/lootpanic/ (You need the unity plugin however). I still need to develop a simple "login"/score system to submit scores outside of facebook (originally our sandbox was within the devil lair). Beware however the game is simply not balanced at all at the moment, and the "randomization" is going freestyle.

I'll update the post with some screenshots and make the link for testing the game stand out more in that pile of text and gifest.

Woooow that's nice and smooth Smiley I like it Smiley Good Luck on finishing it Smiley

Mojo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 02:46:36 PM »

Congrats guys for the work, I really like the art style Smiley

I played the demoo, it's well done but I feel it's still quite unbalanced atm like you said yourself, it's promising though and i would like to see the final product.

I was wondering what you were planning to do with the magical objets and unique artefacts you talked about ?
Boud
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 04:07:34 PM »

Congrats guys for the work, I really like the art style Smiley

I played the demoo, it's well done but I feel it's still quite unbalanced atm like you said yourself, it's promising though and i would like to see the final product.

I was wondering what you were planning to do with the magical objets and unique artefacts you talked about ?
Thanks ! Yes the actuel development build is quite unbalanced and has a lot of "flow problems". We're working on that right now.

For the magical objets, we'll take about them later when we're sure what we're gonna do about them. The unique artefacts on the other hand, are gonna be collectable objets who must of the time are an easter egg to something we love. You'll have a specific menu where you're gonna be able to browse your artefacts collection. They also are worth a lot of money, and may have some hidden powers in game (we're not settled on that, like if you could equip one artefact for a specific bonus before each game).

« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 04:42:45 PM by Boud » Logged
funshark
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 02:28:47 PM »

Heya guys, I'm the crazy artist of the team. Thanks for all the nice feedbacks!
I'm here to announce you I'm broadcasting in few minutes on twitch tv and invite you to take a look. I will try to do that everytime I design something.
http://fr.twitch.tv/FlyingMustaches

I'm actually working on the firsts Artefacts you can collect in the game... see ya ¬3¬
Mojo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2012, 07:48:56 AM »

The unique artefacts on the other hand, are gonna be collectable objets who must of the time are an easter egg to something we love. You'll have a specific menu where you're gonna be able to browse your artefacts collection. They also are worth a lot of money, and may have some hidden powers in game (we're not settled on that, like if you could equip one artefact for a specific bonus before each game).
Collecting the artefacts could add replay value but I think you need more, maybe buy upgrades or powers like most browser/phone games do nowadays.

Heya guys, I'm the crazy artist of the team. Thanks for all the nice feedbacks!
I'm here to announce you I'm broadcasting in few minutes on twitch tv and invite you to take a look. I will try to do that everytime I design something.
http://fr.twitch.tv/FlyingMustaches

I'm actually working on the firsts Artefacts you can collect in the game... see ya ¬3¬
Nice of you to show us the designing process, youo seemed to draw instinctively, did you know what you were drawing beforehand ?

Is that Cave Story's cap Smiley ? Not a fan of the mario shroom, it's been overdone to death imo.
Not so sure what the pink Cactus is, it's not a pampa from final fantasy i suppose...

Also apart from the Zelda faery bottle, the other times doesn't seem very RPGish
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 08:48:42 AM by Mojo » Logged
funshark
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2012, 09:55:36 AM »

Nice of you to show us the designing process, you seemed to draw instinctively, did you know what you were drawing beforehand ?

Is that Cave Story's cap Smiley ? Not a fan of the mario shroom, it's been overdone to death imo.
Not so sure what the pink Cactus is, it's not a pampa from final fantasy i suppose...

Also apart from the Zelda faery bottle, the other times doesn't seem very RPGish

You're welcome Wink
Not sure to understand what you mean by "did you know what you were drawing" but I just picked some object on a list we made and started to move my stylus Smiley

You're right, it's the cave story's cap. We're still uncertain about the final items list so the mushroom might be destroyed...
The fact is, we're not bound to propose specifically RPG items here..mmh.. as long as it fits with the game world.. heh.. I think it's ok; don't think so?
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2012, 10:01:12 AM »

I played it and I liked it. Althrough, it was unclear to me, how can I survive for a longer time? Is it even possible?

funshark
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2012, 10:09:15 AM »

I played it and I liked it. Althrough, it was unclear to me, how can I survive for a longer time? Is it even possible?

Hi kamac,

Indeed, we need to work more on make things understandable easily.
You can "survive" for a longer time ( btw, thank you to spot this point.. We don't actually know why we're time limited and that's maybe a problem and maybe a start point for a better gameplay integration ) and you have two options for that :
- kill monsters that randomly appear > sometimes they drop time bonus
- catch and throw back the damsel's handkerchief > she drops time bonus every time
zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 06:30:56 AM »

Saw this in the devlog magazine thread, looks great, very nice style.  Beer!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic