Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:43:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessA bit of research on where to sell Indie PC Games
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A bit of research on where to sell Indie PC Games  (Read 1990 times)
chainedchaos31
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 13, 2012, 07:18:21 PM »

Hey guys, I know I'm not a regular poster, but I do try and read through these threads every few days. I thought I'd share the research I'd been doing into places where indies can sell PC games - let me know what you think: http://www.convictinteractive.com/?p=1330

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 09:02:43 PM »

Very nice research & summary, thanks!
getluky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 10:49:06 PM »

Thanks for gathering all that info! Did you hear anything about selling through Amazon in your search?

chainedchaos31
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 02:37:06 AM »

Can't believe I overlooked Amazon! I'm going to write a follow up with all the places I managed to forget (like GOG *smacks self in head*)

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 04:14:03 AM »

That's great! Many sites I never heard of and have quite some visits.
Thank you.

Master of all trades.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 06:06:43 AM »

Humble Store is missing too I think, even if apparently to enter it there are very rare requirements (like being friend with the guys?). I'm not sure about that though.

The page is not available anymore but I wanted to point an error in Steam, I don't remember what.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 09:35:59 AM »

I think I looked at this yesterday. It was pretty neat! And useful!

play hydlide 2
chainedchaos31
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 04:54:00 PM »

OK, I totally wasn't expecting such interest in this article - the traffic killed the page! We're finally back online.

About the error with Steam - apparently they do support in-app purchases. I knew they did for Valve products, I just didn't think the same was true for Indie games. I'll post a revision after I've had some lunch (priorities..).

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 05:30:34 PM »

I was linked this from the IGDA Melbourne group, it's really great work, very helpful, thanks for sharing!

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 07:07:14 PM »

i wonder why even bother to list the small ones -- i mean, if a portal has like 100 visitors a day, that's basically no traffic (that's like about the same amount of traffic as the average facebook page or tumblr)

it's interesting to see all this info organized in one place though

chainedchaos31
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 08:15:42 PM »

Yeah, well that was kinda the point - it was research to determine which of the sites were worth the bother. My research led me to discover which sites didn't have very good site views - I posted it so that other people can make up their own minds about each site.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 06:35:09 AM »

I would suggest not loading the huge images that are displayed shrinked alongside the website names as they are completely superfluous and don't help with the traffic problems

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 07:29:30 AM »

OK, I totally wasn't expecting such interest in this article - the traffic killed the page! We're finally back online.

About the error with Steam - apparently they do support in-app purchases. I knew they did for Valve products, I just didn't think the same was true for Indie games. I'll post a revision after I've had some lunch (priorities..).

The point I thought was wrong was the licencing/drm. First what does it mean?
If you mean there have to be a DRM, then it's wrong: the developer choose if there will be or not a drm AND if it will be valve's one or not.

chainedchaos31
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 07:30:46 PM »

OK, I've updated the page with a few of the sites I'd left out (and the sites that people suggested to me). I've also corrected a few discrepancies.

I decided to leave out the section about DRM/Licensing, because I really don't have enough knowledge about how each place handles it.

I also reduced the size of the images (duh, go me) so we should be able to deal with traffic slightly better.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 09:26:54 PM »

oh wow, didn't hear of good old gmaes and wild tangent games. totally gonna hit them up. thanks!

play hydlide 2
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 03:26:23 AM »

Nice. I'm surprised you didn't get anything on GameTap, I think they have a big percentage as they had Deus Ex for free some time ago, making tons of people just create an account.

Purdle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 02:22:54 PM »

Wow, spectacular! Thanks for sharing you research.
 Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic