Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 12:25:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDungeon Colony
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Dungeon Colony  (Read 9178 times)
w01fram
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 14, 2012, 10:48:00 PM »

Grunt!

Dungeon Colony allows you to build a dungeon and use resources in the environment to craft precious items and construct defenses to protect from greedy heroes. Currently you can play the game on Win, OSx and Linux. For more information or to play the game visit the  homepage or follow my companion development blog.

Here are a few screenshots to give you an idea:

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/w01fram
w01fram
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 10:58:36 PM »

So this is my first game update post in the DevLogs. I also have a companion blog which has most of the same info. Nonetheless, I prefer this forum to interact with all of you.

You can play the game by downloading it from the game page. The game uses a game launcher in order to keep the game files always up to the latest build.

Tiles

This update includes an updated Auto-Tile system. The previous tile system used a simple Auto-Tile approach, but was limited and didn’t allow to cover single tiles. This new set of tiles uses an 8-bit approach to check each of the 8 neighboring tiles for overlapping material. Currently, tiles overlap based on the Hierarchy: Grass over Dirt over Rock over Water. There is also a bigger selection of tiles to choose from, making it more diverse and expandable for future tile combinations. Here are a couple of screenshots:

UI Art

The UI also received a refresh. Every window/frame now has a border. The window can be dragged with the mouse by dragging the border and allows the player to place windows strategically to better control the dungeon and other game controls at the same time. Additionally the inventory cell background sprites have been improved: The following screenshot shows these improvements:

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 12:14:17 AM »

This looks pretty cool. Almost like Dungeon Keeper meets Don't Starve. I'm looking forward to seeing how it progresses. Smiley

EDIT: Oh, I can play it. I'll have to do that in the morning. I'll leave some feedback afterwards.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 12:39:05 AM by johnki » Logged

antoniodamala
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 04:05:34 PM »

Yay a Dungeon Keeper-like! Gonna test it later, but first i would like to point out that the art feels bland. Even though the art is well done, the game doesn't stand out too much in comparison to every other fantasy game. (Hope that didn't sound harsh)
w01fram
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 06:29:01 PM »

This looks pretty cool. Almost like Dungeon Keeper meets Don't Starve. I'm looking forward to seeing how it progresses. Smiley

EDIT: Oh, I can play it. I'll have to do that in the morning. I'll leave some feedback afterwards.

Yay a Dungeon Keeper-like! Gonna test it later, but first i would like to point out that the art feels bland. Even though the art is well done, the game doesn't stand out too much in comparison to every other fantasy game. (Hope that didn't sound harsh)

Thanks for the comments! Dungeon Keeper is by far my biggest inspiration. Please support development in order for me to add more art Wink

After taking a break/vacation, I am finally back to coding and have a small update. Nothing new, really, but minor bug fixes:

Version 0.1.7.33
 Bugs:
 - Fixes Bug with tool-tip being displayed on the map, even if the mouse is over a window.
 - Fixes Bug with wall objects, like the torch, being placed on the ground rather than on the wall.
 - Fixes Bug With Events for objects that are out of the reach of your creatures.
 - Fixes Bug With Main Menu Button Displays.
 - Fixes Bug Loading Traps.
 Upgrades:
 - Updated the Crafting Mouse-Icon.

w01fram
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 08:15:28 PM »

Hi everyone,

I've recently released version 0.1.8; for more info on that release check here.

Besides some web updates, i finally updated something that has been bugging me for a long time, which were the non-existing transitions between discovered and un-discovered land. This update fixes that issue:

If you haven't tried it yet, download and support Dungeon Colony here!

w01fram
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 08:57:56 PM »

This update (0.1.8.8) adds much needed bug-reporting. When a bug crashes the game, the bug report is sent to the server if an internet connection exists. Additionally the game now tracks when the game is started and ended. Unfortunately, the bug-tracking only catches crashing bugs, not anything that is logically wrong but doesn’t stop the game. For those bugs, I mainly rely on the community.

This update also fixes a couple of bugs:
  • Fixes bug that caused the game to forget the username/passcode when the user checked to remember it locally.
  • Fixes bug that allowed to place torches over water.

w01fram
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 11:02:56 PM »

This update (v0.1.8.11) fixes the first bug which was sent by my new Bug-Reporting tool to the server. I don't know who caused it, but thanks for causing it!!

Here are the updates:

Upgrade:
  • Lots of Refactoring.
  • Can now order worker to manually transfer an item to a container, ignoring if player put that item on the item-decline list of that container.

Bugs:
  • Fixed bug caused by NullPointerException during combat rendering
  • Fixed bug that caused NullPointerExcepiion with projectiles.

w01fram
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 07:52:10 PM »

Thank you alpha testers! I got a bunch of errors sent again to my Server. I can't believe how I functioned wihtout automatic bug-reporting for so long. Today I found two new null pointer exception and some index outofbound errors in the database. So thank's for causing them, especially since those happened in places I usually completly ignore.

Today's update (v0.1.8.15) consists of:
  • Alpha Tester Bug: Fixes bug when player tried to command Dungeon Master to lumber wood. The master doesn't do that kind of labor, his wisdom requires him to spend time reading books.
  • Alpha Tester Bug: Fixes bug which crashed the game when trying to scroll an empty list in the recipe book frame.
  • Alpha Tester Bug: Fixes NullPointerException with on screen tool-tips.
  • Alpha Tester Bug: Fixes NullPointerException when trying to move Iron Rods from the furnace.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 09:21:21 PM by w01fram » Logged

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 04:57:41 PM »

Finally tried this today. I played with the controls a bit, killed a spider, saw the quest log, tried to find a place to place a torch and bam. It crashed.

Going to try again later.

w01fram
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 05:09:16 PM »

Finally tried this today. I played with the controls a bit, killed a spider, saw the quest log, tried to find a place to place a torch and bam. It crashed.

Going to try again later.

Hi Johnki.. Thanks for trying and reporting the bug.
I just saw that bug populated in my bug-report =D and I just fixed it. I will push the new version sometime this weekend. (That bug is caused when you try to place the torch and the mouse is too close to the border of the Game Window causing a nullpointer exception in those regions.)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 05:15:15 PM by w01fram » Logged

w01fram
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 09:53:58 PM »

Back again,.. I just updated the server with the new version (v0.1.8.28). Next time you run the launcher, the game will get updated to this version. It includes many bug fixes and concludes a week of eliminating bugs and refactoring lots of code.

Summary:

Bugs:
  • Alpha-Tester-Generated-Bug: Fixes issue with placing torches on wall with various screen resolution settings. Thanks johnki!
  • Fixes bug that caused creatures to twitch erratically during fights like they couldn't make up their mind which target to attack.
  • Draws the command indicator over the entity where in some cases it wasn't drawn at the right location.
  • Fixes another entity transfer bug which prevented certain transfers of items between containers.
  • Fixes bug when trying to select overlapping entities, such as dead creatures overlapping each other.
  • Fixes bug with the sunlight at the dungeon entrance. 
  • Fixes problem when commanding a creature that was already executing certain orders.
  • Fixes minor bugs with entity transportation.

Upgrades:
  • Upgraded behavior when minions are ordered to move items and their inventory is either full or the destination is unreachable
  • Adds error notification to the user if exception is encountered.
  • Allows placing torches on walls which are also marked for mining. Yea, sound contradicting, but is actually useful.
  • Allows to re-arm spike traps from a workers' bag.
  • Allows to assign workers to existing mining operations
  • Refactoring

Tomorrow, I will begin on some game balancing (most likely mining) and if time permits also continue on some entities.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 04:25:46 AM »

Alpha-Tester-Generated-Bug: Fixes issue with placing torches on wall with various screen resolution settings. Thanks johnki!
Awesome. Thanks! Now I can go forward without fear that torches will spell my doom.

I also pitched a regrettably small amount of money in just to reserve my copy before the game goes up in price but I like the idea behind it and I was enjoying learning how to play the game before it crashed so I'll probably put in a bit more through extra purchases or something when I have the ability to.

w01fram
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 10:47:39 AM »

I just updated Dungeon Colony to (v0.1.8.29) due to a nasty bug that cause a lot of Nullpointer exceptions over night. It occured when commanding a unit to mine a dungeon wall (using the right click command). Thanks for catching that!! I hate when bug fixing causes new bugs.

Alpha-Tester-Generated-Bug: Fixes issue with placing torches on wall with various screen resolution settings. Thanks johnki!
Awesome. Thanks! Now I can go forward without fear that torches will spell my doom.

I also pitched a regrettably small amount of money in just to reserve my copy before the game goes up in price but I like the idea behind it and I was enjoying learning how to play the game before it crashed so I'll probably put in a bit more through extra purchases or something when I have the ability to.
Thaaaaanks!!! I am glad you are supporting it, no matter what amount!!  Grin

w01fram
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 10:50:28 PM »

Today's update (v.0.1.8.38) brings balancing to the engine making resource-gathering faster:

Wall material such as dirt now takes less time to mine than rock. Also in the previous version, only two minions could mine on one wall-tile; now up to 4 can mine on the same wall, but that depends on how many tiles are open/free right in front of the wall. Also improved is the resource gathering behavior: before, a minion would mine or lumber wood and then bring that one resource back to a container. Now the minions mine until they can't carry anymore and then carry the loot to storage. I also adjusted the base carrying capacity and reduced it from 20 to 5. The carrying capacity has also become an up-gradable skill attribute, which increases by 1 point every time it is leveled up.

Here is the summary of the new version:

Game Balance/New Features:
  • Changed the weight of certain entities, and reduced the amount a worker can carry from 20 to 5. Carrying weight is now a worker attribute which can be leveled up.
  • Mining different resource types takes more or less work: Mining a dirt wall is much faster than mining a rock wall for example.
  • Workers now occupy one tile when mining. This poses new benefits and challenges. Lumbering is one Axe per worker.
  • Workers now stay at mining/lumbering target locations and mine/lumber until the wall/tree is removed or until they cannot carry anymore.
  • When workers finish mining a wall, they carry the collected resources to each dedicated container.
  • When mining, if a minion's bag is full and if no storage container is found, the loot is dropped on the ground.

Bugs (Exposed by Alpha Tester. Thanks for playing!):
  • Fixes bug caused when fighting boars at map edges.
  • Fixes bug caused by attempting to render torches on map borders.

Updates:
  • Sending bug reports in separate thread.

w01fram
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2013, 08:09:44 PM »

Today's update (v0.1.8.46) brings more balancing and bug fixes! But also, there are a lot of changes or updates  internally: I am officially moving from svn to git. Finally!! For me the primary reason was branching. I can't stand branching in svn anymore, so it's over to git =D since my branching-needs have increased a lot. Additionally, I've been updating and adjusting some short term objectives for game development and started doing legal stuff too. I also started learning iPad development (while I have been learning Android development with a friend for about a month)

Now I want to return to coding, I get anxious sometimes when I don't code on it for a while... So this weekend and the entire next week is devoted to continue on a new game feature and do a lot of bug fixing and re-factoring. GDC is also around the corner, oh boy!! I am planning on exhibiting next year, but this year, i will go to see, meet and greet =).

Here is a summary for the new version:

Bugs
  • Fixes the logic when minions mine or lumber with regards to inventory storage/carrying capacity.
  • Fixes the Study Animation when the study is rotated into different directions.
  • Fixes bug that prevented the Dungeon Master to reach the Study based on the walls around it (and other factors).
  • Fixes bug that caused commands issued to a minion to be lost when hitting the 'Equip Sling-shot'-button in between.

Upgrades:
  • Added new tutorial quests for building stock piles.
  • Game Balancing on Trees and wood cutting.
  • Adds blueprint for crafting walls  to stock pile containers.

If you haven't tried it yet, download and support _$_  Dungeon Colony here!

w01fram
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 11:51:34 PM »

Today's update (v0.1.8.48) adds mushrooms to the dungeon. This is a food type which not only increases the food-meter, but will (not yet coded) also bring different attributes that may benefit or harm a creature. Mushrooms grow in the dungeon and since this is a tile based game, I decided to make mushrooms grow in small patches per tile. Within each patch mushrooms can grow multiple specimens.

Each mushroom in a patch starts of as a tiny baby mushroom. They can grow over time, getting bigger and gaining more weight. Soon I will add logic where bigger mushrooms may also have more effect when consumed as opposed to small ones.

Besides growing, mushrooms can also be collected by selecting a mushroom patch and then right clicking on it. This will call a minion to the patch for collection. Since mushrooms are rare and grow slowly, minions will be careful when collecting and leave some mushroms behind to keep the patch growing (unless there is only one left - if you command a minion to harvest a patch containing only one mushroom, the patch is removed completely). This allows you to keep mushrooms growing if you want to keep a steady harvest.

The growing algorithm is a bit shaky so I'll revisit it if there aren't any errors with this new version sometime in the coming days.

If you haven't tried it yet, download and support _$_  Dungeon Colony here!

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 03:46:12 AM »

Hey. This seems cool. Is it written in C++?

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
w01fram
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 08:04:35 AM »

Hey. This seems cool. Is it written in C++?

Hi Impmaster ... I like your nickname!!!
no, it's Java with LWJGL

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 08:32:23 AM »

Ooh, java. Isn't LWJGL for 3d stuff?

Hi Impmaster ... I like your nickname!!!

I shall be a monster in your game. A bug to occur once every hundred playthroughs. A mighty Impmaster rushes through the colony, disturbing all peace and bringing legions of the most wretched creatures to ever grace the face of the Earth: Imps.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic