Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 01:52:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDungeon Colony
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Dungeon Colony  (Read 9179 times)
w01fram
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 08:47:38 AM »

Ooh, java. Isn't LWJGL for 3d stuff?
yea it wraps OpenGL, I just use it for 2D atm

I shall be a monster in your game. A bug to occur once every hundred playthroughs. A mighty Impmaster rushes through the colony, disturbing all peace and bringing legions of the most wretched creatures to ever grace the face of the Earth: Imps.
The dungeon is yours, Master! Summon your Imps and build your legion.

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/w01fram
TGoCoGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 12:20:18 PM »

I think it's a great concept and will certainly keep up to date with this one.  I will agree with antoniodamala's comments about the art though, they look good but a bit generic.  Taking a closer look to try and figure out what it was, I think it's actually the tiles that are more of the problem than the monster and object assets.

In any case, keep up the great work!

w01fram
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 01:00:02 PM »

I think it's a great concept and will certainly keep up to date with this one.  I will agree with antoniodamala's comments about the art though, they look good but a bit generic. 

Hi, TGoCoGames, thanks for the feedback! Yea, i am going to overhaul the ground tiles at some point. I am planning to add more variety inside and outside and also fix the walls so that the different materials transition into each other. I also have a new asset request in the works with new plant life. I'm excited about that cause it will bring some needed diversity on the outside world.

Taking a closer look to try and figure out what it was, I think it's actually the tiles that are more of the problem than the monster and object assets.

In any case, keep up the great work!

Do you mean a specific type of tile like a ground tile, wall or something else ?

Again, thanks for the feedback Smiley !!.. and if you haven't yet, you can try the latest built, it's open alpha =)
www.DungeonColony.com/Download

w01fram
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2013, 12:51:09 PM »

This update (v0.1.8.54) upgrades the mushrooms by making the weight and food points of the mushroom based on it's size.

Another new feature is the ability to look items in a minions inventory:

The locking feature also enabled minions to manage their inventory on their own. This means, that for any item that is not locked and if the minions is not performing any activity, then will he go and try to store those items in containers that are available within your dungeon.
Lock a cell to lock in the items: Move the mouse to the upper right corner of a cell to reveal the lock button. Click it to lock or unlock it.

Here is the summary of today's updates:

Bugs
 Fixes bug that caused minions to store items in a container even if they are not within reach of the container.

Updates:
Mushrooms
  • Mushroom food points are determined by size, which also determines the weight.
  • A mushroom can have a minimum of 16 food points and grow as large as 64 Food points worth.
  • A mushroom's weight ranges from 0.2 to 0.8 points.
  • Made mushrooms a little less available.

Inventory Lock
  • Adds ability to lock in items in a creature's inventory.
  • When minions carry items that are not locked they may decide to store them in a container.
  • Lock in items such as weapons (in future also potions food and other items)

If you haven't tried it yet, download and support  Dungeon Colony here!

w01fram
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2013, 10:05:25 PM »

Dungeon Lords!

Today I added water collection to the game. You have to craft a clay pot to collect water. That requires you to collect four slabs of clay from dirt walls. In order to collect water just click on a water tile and wait until a worker does the rest. If you crafted a pot and have it stored somewhere, the worker will find it, pick it up and carry it to get water which you initially selected and then return it back to an empty storage container. They will do that until all empty water pots are consumed. In that case the water-source will automatically be deselected:

Water is still useless, but I have simultaneously been working on advancing some other game elements to start using water. One of them is the Cooking pot. That will most likely be added to the next release. This release (v.0.1.8.57) also includes some other changes. I have decreased the shadow by a few shades, (what I mean is that I made it lighter and easier to see through :-p). Now you can see more detail of the wall behind the shadows and on top of the walls. It also makes shadows look a bit more natural and creates nice effects [Unfortunately, in the screenshot below, all the white space around the image makes that hard to see :-(:

Here is the summary:
  • Adds quest to place a new stockpile
  • Adjusts Shader Engine, resulting in a lighter shadows.
  • Adds Water Containers
  • Adds Activity 'Get Water'

I've been spending time with new assets and working out more nature for the outside world.

Till next time aand...

If you haven't tried it yet, download and support Dungeon Colony here!

w01fram
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2013, 10:35:03 PM »

Today's version increment goes up only by one notch to (v.0.1.8.58). That's because I've been working on the same feature without committing the code once Droop

After introducing water collection in the last version, you can now use water to cook a wholesome dungeon stew. The cooking pot introduced several updates ago can therefore be used to cook using any kind of food resources, water and wood to heat up the pot. Only when these three resources are combined will the pot produce the hearty stew. However, if you add just wood to the pot, then fire  will automatically start burning and producing light as a side effect. The wood burns much much slower than in the furnace lasting much longer since less heat is needed to cook as opposed to smelting. To load the pot with resources, select them and then right click on the pot.

The following screenshot shows the new Cooking-Pot Frame that opens when you select the cooking pot. There you can see what kind of resources you have already loaded into the pot and once each slot contains at least one item, then the pot will produce 5 stews every so often. Each stew has a different amount of Food-Points and that depends on the type of food you put into the pot: Meat will make a much richer stew than just nuts or mushrooms.

There are still some kinks and bugs I believe but for now I want to test it out and find the right balance.

Till next time and...

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 10:54:50 PM by w01fram » Logged

w01fram
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2013, 06:29:19 PM »

Hi everyone,

I just released a new update (v.0.1.8.60). This version refactors some code and introduces a new object, which I am very excited about: The Alchemy Bar.

The alchemy bar allows you to brew potions that your creatures can use when they are about to crap out. For now, you can make 3 kinds of potions - Health, Mana, and Stamina.
And to make highly magical potions you need to gather some tools and ingredients. First, you need glass flasks to bottle up the potions, second you need water to mix the dry ingredients and then you need mushrooms that provide the power to one of the three benefits. Glass flasks are made in the furnace. You can now add sand to the furnace which will produce the flasks in a 1 to 1 ratio. Once everything is combined it begins making the potions. The following screenshot shows the three potions (health, mana, stamina) and some empty glass flasks:

Select the Alchemy bar on the map to bring up the brewing window (lower left in the following screenshot). There you can see what ingredients you have already supplied and you can select the potions that have been brewed to transfer them some place else.

There is also new logic that goes along with the potions: Select one of your creatures and directly click on the potion icon next to the status bar in order to command the creature to drink a potion...

... if the creature has one in the inventory then it will be consumed immediately. Otherwise, the creature will go to find one in any container where you stored them. You can add them to your creatures inventory and use the lock button to lock them into place for when they may need them. That is, if in battle and health is too low, creatures will drink a health potion if they have one.

It's probably a good idea to store them in chests in areas where you can expect high enemy traffic. However, enemies are very eager to find potions and will steal them from you.

Though, I gotta say, I think i created more bugs than I fixed. So this version could be a bit buggy :-p. Plus there are many many small details that I want to fix/add, you may realize that while playing.

Please leave some feedback... till next time

w01fram
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2013, 07:42:09 PM »

This is a small update (v0.1.8.64) that fixes a few bugs thrown by Alpha testers. Thanks for testing!!

It has been a busy week at GDC, if you want to read about it here is my latest blogpost about GDC 2013

Update Summary:
 Fixes bug loading dead spiders.
 Fixes bug when trying to remove walls on map edges.
 Fixes server request bug. 

w01fram
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2013, 10:43:36 PM »

Hi. This update (v0.1.8.67) fixes some more bugs. Mostly caused by the new objects added recently. One of the main issues you may have noticed was with potions. They caused problems loading saved games.

Update Summary:
Updates
- Minions can now place a red gem directly from their bag into a shrine.
Bugs
- Fixes Bug that crashes saved games due to brewed potions.
- Fixes Bug that crashed saved games due to dead spiders. 

w01fram
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2013, 10:25:05 PM »

Hi. This update (v 0.1.8.70) fixes some more bugs. Thanks Darkynd for spotting them Gentleman

Summary:
- Fixes typo.
- Restores previously discovered items for crafting after loading saved game.
- Fixes a nullpointer exception that was caused when picking up items.   

Till next time...

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2013, 12:15:30 AM »

Do you use Slick2D or did you make your own 2D wrapper?
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2013, 12:41:27 AM »

I love the look and the idea of this game (it reminded me of HeroQuest, now I saw you referencing it on your contact page). Your artist does a wonderful job, even if people might say the art looks a bit generic, I think this is a good thing in this game. Your programming also makes a very good impression Grin.

I tested the game and was disappointed by the controls. I think you can make it way more fluent and easy to use. Of course this is not an easy task, but I think it would help the game very much. Just imagine you have to make the game playable on a tablet with touch controls or on a mac with a one button mouse.

Another thing that frustrated me is the lighting. I think you should show everything in a radius arround the creatures (maybe in a darker greyish tone to indicate the lack of a light source).
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 12:53:56 AM by Chromanoid » Logged
w01fram
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2013, 11:08:59 AM »

Do you use Slick2D or did you make your own 2D wrapper?

At the moment I am using Slick2D for the most part. I started working on my own wrapper for the shader engine.

w01fram
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2013, 11:28:39 AM »

I love the look and the idea of this game (it reminded me of HeroQuest, now I saw you referencing it on your contact page). Your artist does a wonderful job, even if people might say the art looks a bit generic, I think this is a good thing in this game. Your programming also makes a very good impression Grin.

I tested the game and was disappointed by the controls. I think you can make it way more fluent and easy to use. Of course this is not an easy task, but I think it would help the game very much. Just imagine you have to make the game playable on a tablet with touch controls or on a mac with a one button mouse.

Another thing that frustrated me is the lighting. I think you should show everything in a radius arround the creatures (maybe in a darker greyish tone to indicate the lack of a light source).

Thanks @Chromanoid for the feedback and the positive words.
Yea, the artist does a great job. I am not sure what you call that style, but i love it. I have some new assets coming soon, those still need logic before they are published.

I hear the complaint about controls lot. And I do want to change to a one-button does-all control type since, like you mentioned, I am also aiming for tablet devices.

The light/shader engine is half way done and I will keep your idea in mind. I have some performance issues and some bugs to fix before I add the next round of features. I noticed that the shade geometry breaks sometimes.

-Seb

w01fram
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2013, 06:08:13 PM »

Heelloo!!    Gentleman

It has been a few months since I last posted here, and the working machine kept on going. Today's update brings the Alpha of Dungeon Colony to (v0.1.8.156). Before I wrap up this version to 0.1.9. I need your help to find any remaining bugs in this version:

The biggest changes are to the game engine. Objects can now be placed arbitrarily throughout the dungeon and are not confined to the tile grid anymore. Objects have been re-scaled, AI has been made a tad smarter, pathfinding has been reworked, and a lot of bug fixes and small adjustment keep making the engine more and more polished.

Please try it out and let me know what you think !

Also, I created a few new sharing sites. Please visit the facebook page and like it:

Here some recent screenshots (click to enlarge):

w01fram
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2013, 08:28:24 AM »

I am at the point of finishing this current version number (0.1.8.x) and move to 0.1.9.x. I can't find any crushing bugs, so that's a good sign.

yesterday and this morning i worked on some more object information displays:

Now you can see how much gold and food you have collected:

This only displays gold that is actually stored in a chest type object. If you have coins laying around on the floor, or if some creature is carrying it, then that's not part of the count. The same also applies to food: only food that's on a dining table will be counted as food points.

Then i also added an info box to some objects when viewing them by hovering the mouse over them:

Depending on the type of object, will show the relevant info. So food will show food points, traps will show remaining uses, wood will show fuel points, potions will show strength points, etc.

I will add more info to these boxes, but for the moment that's a good start.

Play, test and let me know what you think  Beg.

w01fram
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2013, 09:40:58 PM »

I uploaded a version (v.0.1.8.161) that fixes some issues with carrying commands. And I made some visual changes to the preview of placing objects. It used to be rendered above the shadow in total brightness, now it's below the shadows. I also am working on a new sprite sheet for plant life:

that's just a little preview =], working on the plant reproduction algorithm is total fun, must be the wannabe gardener in me!

w01fram
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2013, 06:03:40 PM »

Today's update brings Dungeon Colony to (v0.1.8.170). Free Alpha Download!

This version update of Dungeon Colony adds new plant life to the outside world. For starters new grass patches grow individually over the otherwise bland grass tiles:

There are several different types of grasses that grow each with different growing stages(sizes). When they reproduce, they have a change to changing to another type, but that happens only in about 90% of the time, therefore making larger areas of the same species.

Boars eat grass to gain food points. If they don't find anymore grass they will starve to death. But there's plenty of it available. In fact, each grass patch is it's own entity in the game. In my last play, I counted over 7000 patches on the map.

So this is the beginning of new plant life and more will be added soon. Of course, grass will not just be pretty to look at but will play a role in dungeon management and be a resource for new object types. But again, more to come.

Additionally, this version fixes a lot of bugs found by the alpha testers. Here is the summary of changes:

New Features:

Grass, it grows.
    Boars now lose food points and eat grass to refill them.

Bug Fixes:

Fixes text disappearing behind other controls when hovering for tooltip info (Thanks Liam)
    Fixes bug that crashed game if the graphics card wasn't compatible with FBOs by showing an error message before starting the game. (thanks alpha testers)
    fixes bug caused by null pointer exception when enemy AI was hunting down your creatures. (thanks alpha testers)
    fixes bug in Graphics Option Menu. (thanks alpha testers)

Other:

Improves logic for selecting units or objects that overlap

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic