Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:01:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPapers, Please [Available 8/8]
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 36
Print
Author Topic: Papers, Please [Available 8/8]  (Read 529725 times)
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: January 15, 2013, 02:36:16 AM »

That's beautiful. It's awesome how you make everything fit the theme, from mechanics to the logo marching.

The music is amazing as well, what program did you use to create it?

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: January 15, 2013, 02:45:29 AM »

My Word!

Oh wow, awesome intro and tune! It just fits the theme so very well. This game is going to be big Hand Clap

I only have a very small suggestion. I think the logo should start apprearing on the third beat not the second one, let the first two sound to an empty screen.

dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: January 16, 2013, 01:47:17 AM »

The music is amazing as well, what program did you use to create it?

Thank you. I composed the music on a Yamaha MOX6 keyboard. It has a full sequencer with effects and stuff so I only needed to grab the audio output using Audacity on my mac.

I only have a very small suggestion. I think the logo should start apprearing on the third beat not the second one, let the first two sound to an empty screen.

Roger that; will do.

ClayB
« Reply #143 on: January 16, 2013, 05:20:00 PM »

lookin good, im super excited to play the final version  Hand Shake Left Well, hello there! Hand Shake Right
dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: January 19, 2013, 05:09:18 AM »

Random stuff that's changed/updated recently:

Speech Chat

I initially had solitary speech bubbles (visible upthread) that pop up for the dialog. The little back-and-forth at the beginning ended up being too slow and stunted with those bubbles so I changed it to more of a scrolling chat window. Flows much better although I'm not crazy about overlapping the face.

Goodbye Telex
In that pic you can also see that the Telex is gone from the console. I couldn't find a good use for it after adding the fingerprint system. In its place is the daily bulletin which you can reference at any time.

Daily Bulletin

First bulletin in the game. These are waiting on your desk at the start of each day. Later bulletins will contain mugshots of wanted people. The Telex was going to have those but I think it fits better here.

Dialog
I've been writing a bunch of the generic question and response dialog recently. Initially I authored it to flow naturally with proper English grammar but the game lost much of its Eastern-European feel. Now I'm trying rougher, less fluent English and it's a little better:

"I'll stay for three months." becomes "I stay three months."

Pretty subtle but I was surprised at how the fluent English destroyed some of the mood. I hope this works better.

Action Buttons

These buttons will appear as the result of an interrogation. After highlighting an error in inspection mode only one option is available: Interrogate. Based on the entrant's response, one or more of these action buttons will appear. They'll stay in place until you click them or move on to the next entrant.

Giving Back

Instead of just returning all the docs to the counter you now have to explicitly give them back. This'll allow confiscations and document trades later down the line.

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 19, 2013, 05:59:35 AM »

I like that you are making all these games with sorta the same setting, it is a cool bit of world building that I would like to try out at some point.

dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: January 23, 2013, 06:47:07 AM »

A picture worth 8 words. Should work for the whole intro.

Not sure I can capture it better with a proper image tbh.

rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 23, 2013, 09:13:31 AM »

This looks great! Just caught up with the thread.

Re: date format
Why pick just one? As the thread shows there is really no true standard format for dates, as countries pick and choose which format works for them. It adds an extra area of is-that-right-or-wrong? if you have to compare date formats on different documents.
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: January 23, 2013, 09:29:30 AM »

A picture worth 8 words. Should work for the whole intro.

Not sure I can capture it better with a proper image tbh.

I can see this working well with very simple, bold images, borrowing from the style of old soviet propaganda posters.

roc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 23, 2013, 12:02:35 PM »

I've been meaning to gush about how much I love the idea and execution of this game, everything supports the atmosphere so well I'm freaking out oh my god.  You should call it Pampers, Please because it's so awesome that the first build I played made me do literally every bathroom thing in my pants.  I especially love the Where in the Dystopia is Carmen Sandiego vibe it exudes, you rule.

e: and I really like the implications of downplaying home/family interactions, for me it could really reinforce the setting the game takes place in and the work/life priorities the state probably "encourages" its officials to adopt Tongue
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 12:13:24 PM by roc » Logged
fylth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 23, 2013, 03:02:44 PM »

If you're still looking at a way to do the end of day screens, I had an idea.
How about an accounts book/diary. On the left hand page would be family updates and on the left would be a hand drawn looking breakdown of savings, earnings and things you need to buy, which the player can tick a box next to the ones they want to spend on.

I think this method would keep to the games low-tech aesthetic while also being immersive.
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: January 23, 2013, 03:33:14 PM »

this is really cool.
secv
« Reply #152 on: January 23, 2013, 10:35:33 PM »

This is pretty cool! It's a lot of information to take in at once, but with a bit of clicking and reading it starts to make sense. I like figuring out games, but I could see some people getting fed up pretty quick. The inspection mode was really nice too. I didn't know what to expect and was pleasantly surprised by how easy it is to use.

The visuals are great, especially the animation when people are moving around.

One thing that is missing for me is the emotional aspect of the job. I could imagine feeling pretty bad denying a poor family a work visa because it expired by one day. Plus, if someone was trying to sneak in to do mean things I bet getting sympathy would be one their list of tricks.

You could be reaching for the big red deny stamp when the personal pleads you to let them pass, but if you do you find out in the paper or something that they just bombed a bunch of people and you really fucked up. Conversely, if you find out someone is forging documents/smuggling the police could haul them off and you'd feel like you really accomplished something. Balancing what's right and what's legal would be a cool thing to see play out.

Maybe I'm being a bit starry eyed with the possibilities, but even a little text would go a long way with making people more than a collection of paperwork.

Edit: I did a bit of reading and it seems like a few of these things are already conceptualized. I'm so stoked for this game!

Edit: I ran into a bug where a guy walked in with no papers.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 11:02:15 PM by secv » Logged
Maverick Denizen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: January 24, 2013, 06:13:04 AM »

This is starting to look better and better. Amazing stylistic taste man, very original, I'm liking it a lot!

feminazi
« Reply #154 on: January 24, 2013, 11:04:11 PM »

Random stuff that's changed/updated recently:

Speech Chat

I initially had solitary speech bubbles (visible upthread) that pop up for the dialog. The little back-and-forth at the beginning ended up being too slow and stunted with those bubbles so I changed it to more of a scrolling chat window. Flows much better although I'm not crazy about overlapping the face.

i like this chat scrolbox thing
DET. Defective
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 25, 2013, 03:47:35 AM »

Really enjoying the build, though I keep hoping for a legitimate person to come along. Concerned

I don't know why, but I get a Carmen Sandiego vibe from it as well, and I really love it.

Edit: I ran into a bug where a guy walked in with no papers.
It's not a bug, some people are just dumb enough to walk in with no ID or permit. Bring up your R&R book and click the "Entrant must have a passport" option.

Unless you're talking about the few who walk in with a passport and no permit. I thought it was a bug, too (it's what actually got me to log on and post), but I looked closely and realized they were an Arstotzka resident (or at least, posing as one), meaning they don't need a permit.

In that case, you just need to find a discrepancy in the passport.
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: January 28, 2013, 02:44:52 PM »

at last i can fulfill my power fantasy to let a ton of illegals into a country.

<DING> YES! GO ON! WOO!

<DING> PACK YOUR BAGS SUCKA CUZ YOU COMING ON IN!

<DING> CAN I GET AN AMEN??

<DING> YOU ARE APPROVED! MOVE ALONG!

<fired>

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 28, 2013, 04:56:48 PM »

BRIBERY!?
dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: February 01, 2013, 06:11:59 PM »

I've been meaning to gush about how much I love the idea and execution of this game, everything supports the atmosphere so well I'm freaking out oh my god.  You should call it Pampers, Please because it's so awesome that the first build I played made me do literally every bathroom thing in my pants.  I especially love the Where in the Dystopia is Carmen Sandiego vibe it exudes, you rule.

Thanks roc. YOU rule.

This is pretty cool! It's a lot of information to take in at once, but with a bit of clicking and reading it starts to make sense. I like figuring out games, but I could see some people getting fed up pretty quick.
One thing that is missing for me is the emotional aspect of the job.

Thank you. I'm aiming to introduce the concepts more gradually and add more emotional impact through dialog.

Really enjoying the build, though I keep hoping for a legitimate person to come along. Concerned

Cool. I've been playing with this balance recently. On the one hand I want enough mistakes to make a proper game. To be more realistic and keep you on your toes though there should be a good number of people who have no errors.

New build coming up shortly. Will be native Windows and Mac builds this time since it's getting too big for Flash. Probably breaking all kinds of stuff.

dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: February 01, 2013, 06:49:50 PM »

Alpha 0.1.1 - GET IT HERE

Finally something new to post. Behind the scenes the game has come a long way since 12/15, but the outward progress is less obvious. But I thought it best to stop noodling with little stuff and post some native builds. Not really sure how well they work since the HaxeNME Flash and native targets have quite a few quirky differences.

Briefly, this build has the title screen, intro screens, and the first 5 days of roughed-in gameplay. The night-time screens aren't functional yet and the game badly needs sound effects. There are also a few features (bribery, document trading) that are implemented but not exposed in the gameplay yet.

Because this is the first native build, and I'm working on a Mac, I'd really like to hear if the windows exe works ok for people.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 36
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic