Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:28:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPapers, Please [Available 8/8]
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 36
Print
Author Topic: Papers, Please [Available 8/8]  (Read 529676 times)
dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: March 13, 2013, 12:29:14 AM »

I didn't see this mentioned in the thread, but noticed a change between the old builds and the most recent: Only passports can be stamped in the 0.1.1 build, while all presented documents could be stamped in the prior builds.

Stamping everything was fun, but I felt just too much busywork (fine line, I know). I could make it optional (only required on the passport), but then it's confusing and you'd end up stamping everything anyways. It's hard to communicate that "you can do this optional thing here, but you don't need to; whereas over here you need to do it."

In the end you'll be stamping so many passports, trust me that you'll be glad you don't need to stamp everything.

Actually, that might be required. I tried the game last week after watching a video on it, and this happened:
No passport to stamp, so the game was over. If it is intended the passport might not be there, we need some way of denying them.

If you correlate the missing document (highlight the "need passport" rule and the counter-top), you should get a visa slip:

..That'll let you deny them and move on.

Uykered
« Reply #261 on: March 13, 2013, 01:20:13 AM »

Would be cool to see little puffs of smoke on the ground around the guy as the guards miss their shots.
MegaScience
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 13, 2013, 01:42:08 AM »

Hmm, went ingame to test. Thanks, I didn't think to try something like that. Smiley Can't wait to play the next version.

By the way,

. I'll be sure to tell the video maker about the update whenever it is ready.
dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: March 13, 2013, 06:23:49 AM »

New Build

BETA 0.5.5 - GRAB IT HERE

Features:
  • Play through the first 8 days.
  • Sound effects, terrorists, smugglers, criminals, scripted events, and more.
  • Night-time budget management basics are in but unbalanced.

This is likely the last (non-bugfix) release before final.

I haven't tested the windows version much. If you have any issues, please post here.

---------------------
There's a bug with this build getting stuck on day 2. Temporary workaround is to clear 7 immigrants before the time runs out on day 2. I'm working on a proper fix now. Fixed in 0.5.5 along with an iMac crash.
---------------------
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 10:21:52 AM by dukope » Logged

MegaScience
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 13, 2013, 10:29:28 AM »

Ha. I didn't realize the stampers were switched and accidentally stamped denied on the first person. I tried to stamp over it, but that didn't count. xD Will you put detailed instructions outside of the ingame documents once you hit final, with every minute detail which can mean life or death for us? Smiley I feel like I'm easily missing some way of correcting misstamping, although at the same time it feels like that is probably intended - to not be able to undo a stamp.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 10:39:19 AM by MegaScience » Logged
dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: March 13, 2013, 05:57:55 PM »

Ha. I didn't realize the stampers were switched and accidentally stamped denied on the first person. I tried to stamp over it, but that didn't count. xD Will you put detailed instructions outside of the ingame documents once you hit final, with every minute detail which can mean life or death for us? Smiley I feel like I'm easily missing some way of correcting misstamping, although at the same time it feels like that is probably intended - to not be able to undo a stamp.

Yeah you gotta be careful with the stamping. A denial stamp can't be undone but an approval stamp can be overwritten with a denial stamp. Don't stamp until you're sure. I kind've expected the stamp switch to trip some people up.

I probably won't have an external readme except for credits or whatnot. I'll see if I can fit something referencing the stamp situation in the bulletin.

Jobastion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 13, 2013, 08:03:04 PM »

Played through twice in Windows, didn't see any glaring issues.  In non-glaring issues, it seems odd that the fellow on the 8th day didn't appear to be detain-able.  I couldn't get any correlation other than "matching data" between the name on the back of the note and any part of his id or passport.  Seems to match the "suspicious" tag quite well.
(I was able to pass the note to him and send him on and send him through without giving him the note.)
accolon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 14, 2013, 05:38:36 AM »

I really love this game and the direction it is going. Especially the new scripted parts are great.

Two things I noticed:
- The first days ended quite abruptly without the crowd walking away while there was still the last person in the booth.
- The "Protocol Violations" reset each day, so I can afford a lot of mistakes. I know this would make the game harder, but it would also be more realistic if laxness was penalized harder.

EDIT:
I forgot about a third thing. On OS X, the alpha version used the full screen. The current beta is centered with a huge black area filling the rest of the screen. I liked the older way better.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 05:51:10 AM by accolon » Logged
MegaScience
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 14, 2013, 05:43:40 AM »

I encountered three very, very minor problems in Beta 0.5.5:

1: The article title on the right side did not fit, extending outside the newspaper:

2: Either the list is not vertically centered correctly or does not take so many entries into account, extending over the button:

3: After finishing the last available day, the main menu offers to you to play the next day (Day 9). I assume this is for when the game updates, allowing you to continue from your Beta save, but currently this will simply crash the game. Might be good for it to tell the player they must wait for a later version.

In relation to posts by other people, it seems like a difficulty setting might be in order. Daily violations stack, less forgiveness, etc. Maybe you match the name of the person on our current last day to them for a tiny, tiny dialog? Then you could add some distrust systems for later days where dialog is directly monitored instead of only in relation to documentation being misread.

Edit: Oh, one last thing. Would it be possible to have a toggle-able setting for the nudity in scans? It would make it easier for people to advertise your game through videos. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 06:58:46 AM by MegaScience » Logged
dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: March 14, 2013, 07:44:44 AM »

Thanks for the info everyone!

In non-glaring issues, it seems odd that the fellow on the 8th day didn't appear to be detain-able.  I couldn't get any correlation other than "matching data" between the name on the back of the note and any part of his id or passport.  Seems to match the "suspicious" tag quite well.
(I was able to pass the note to him and send him on and send him through without giving him the note.)

This guy is from The Order of the Ezic Star. You learn more about them and why they can't be detained later.  Well, hello there!

I really love this game and the direction it is going. Especially the new scripted parts are great.
Two things I noticed:
- The first days ended quite abruptly without the crowd walking away while there was still the last person in the booth.
- The "Protocol Violations" reset each day, so I can afford a lot of mistakes. I know this would make the game harder, but it would also be more realistic if laxness was penalized harder.

Thanks! I'll check the timing. I think you're supposed to always see the crowd dispersing but maybe if the timing is just right the day will end before that. I had a feeling it was too lenient with the citations. This has an effect on the night-time budget stuff, which I haven't balanced yet, so I figured it was better to be too forgiving for this build. I'll probably end up reducing the number of non-penalty warnings or jacking up the penalty as the game progresses.

I forgot about a third thing. On OS X, the alpha version used the full screen. The current beta is centered with a huge black area filling the rest of the screen. I liked the older way better.

What resolution is your monitor? The game is 90 pixels wider now so it's possible you got boned on the whole-pixel scaling. There's unfortunately not much I can do about it except go back to 3:2, which I think is much worse for gameplay with less space for document shuffling.

I encountered three very, very minor problems in Beta 0.5.5:

Great list, thanks for this! I'll fix each of those before final.

In relation to posts by other people, it seems like a difficulty setting might be in order. Daily violations stack, less forgiveness, etc. Maybe you match the name of the person on our current last day to them for a tiny, tiny dialog? Then you could add some distrust systems for later days where dialog is directly monitored instead of only in relation to documentation being misread.

I'll give some more thought to a difficulty level. It does kinda seem like it's necessary. I don't follow the dialog suggestion though.

Edit: Oh, one last thing. Would it be possible to have a toggle-able setting for the nudity in scans? It would make it easier for people to advertise your game through videos. Smiley

Good point. I'll add a censorship setting.

---
Btw, did anyone catch Dari or Vince?

Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: March 14, 2013, 09:09:39 AM »

Got to the third day, half way through someone came up as a warning note came up, he said here are papers but nothing was put on the table. No No NO

Saving would be really helpful, or start for a certain day.

Love that you added sounds, some of them don't fit right like the marffled voices when someone walks up. Still makes it a lot less boring.

Still love the game though, love all the stuff you've added, that terrorist attack on day 2 was quite disturbing. I feel like there is some conspiracy with the whore club place.

EDIT: Ope, I started it again and it let's me start from Day 3. Grin

EDIT: EDIT: Okay did day three again same guy didn't give me papers, red shirt bald head, doubt that matters, isn't it randomized?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 09:15:44 AM by Armageddon » Logged

emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: March 14, 2013, 09:18:46 AM »

Try using the discrepancy tool on the rulebook and the desk, it should give you a denial visa or let you turn them away I think.

MegaScience
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 14, 2013, 09:38:46 AM »

I caught Vince. I also got the guy selling women for sex - Was he Dari? I forgot. xD

Armageddon, if they are missing a certain document, you can compare the rule in the rule book to the desk itself on the left side and it will give you the option to deny them. I like that guy. Smiley

It's weird how a lot of the time, the violations I get are the thing I always look at and didn't for that one person. At least twice, I got a violation for something I was making completely sure to check up until the person right before.
Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 14, 2013, 09:50:09 AM »

No he gives no documents. So I have nothing to compare too, also it won't let me use the tool on the rule book.

EDIT: Ah, I'm dumb, you have to open the rule book and find it.

accolon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 14, 2013, 11:39:49 AM »

What resolution is your monitor? The game is 90 pixels wider now so it's possible you got boned on the whole-pixel scaling. There's unfortunately not much I can do about it except go back to 3:2, which I think is much worse for gameplay with less space for document shuffling.

It's 1680 x 1050, so this might be the reason.

I caught Vince. I didn't let Dari enter the country, but the storyline didn't go on that well...

Btw, I got penalized for letting a guy in who told me a wrong duration for his stay. When I asked him about the discrepancy, he corrected himself to the right value which was also stated on the entry permit, so everything seemed fine and I thought it was an intentional/scripted slip-up for the guy. It seems I was expected to send him away -- the game is probably a little bit strict here. Smiley
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: March 14, 2013, 02:07:23 PM »

Wow, this is really coming together. I liked THAT passport hahaha.

Some things I noticed:

- Man, those invalid cities are sneaky!

- It's odd to me that, even if the fingerprints match, you get a citation if their new alias isn't on the list. The fingerprints matched! What more proof do you need? Maybe the records need updated.

- The sounds add a lot to the game. My girlfriend thinks the loud speaker sound is a bit creepy, though.

- I get citations for invalid durations when people correct how long they're staying after getting it wrong at first.
  - Later, I denied someone for the same thing and got a citation saying they were cleared for entry. >.>

- Once, I didn't get the option to collect the fingerprints of a person with a discrepant picture.

[minor spoiler]
- The "Brothel Help." It was a little unclear what "do something" meant. I got a citation for denying him and the reason was just "brothel help: invalid."
[/minor spoiler]

Oh, played on OSX. Works like a charm.

Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 14, 2013, 02:40:43 PM »

How do you check if a city is valid?

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #277 on: March 14, 2013, 02:52:19 PM »

How do you check if a city is valid?
Go into the rule book, click on a country and check the list of valid issuing cities.

On the passport, the city will be next to "ISS".

Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 14, 2013, 03:31:26 PM »

What about valid ID number? And how do you determine someones name is fake, and who is doing your job twice just to warn you. And what is EZIC. Epileptic

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: March 14, 2013, 05:05:50 PM »

What about valid ID number? And how do you determine someones name is fake, and who is doing your job twice just to warn you. And what is EZIC. Epileptic
You have to check to make sure that the same ID number is on both documents. And the name.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 36
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic