Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:07:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPapers, Please [Available 8/8]
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 36
Print
Author Topic: Papers, Please [Available 8/8]  (Read 529665 times)
wmcduff
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: March 18, 2013, 08:59:11 AM »

Yeah, I'd actually like bookmarks for the individual country pages.  I'm getting close to having all the cities memorized, but that section of the book is the part I use the most often.  Even thumbholes with letters like I for Impor would help.

Out of curiosity, how many people a day do you get through? I'm at about 10, but I'm a pretty exacting sort...
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: March 18, 2013, 11:14:43 AM »

I think I process around 9..12 people a day, depending on the dynamics.

I have a question. Does clicking the loudspeaker and having "have your papers ready!" said actually help people ready their papers? So you don't have to ask for the missing document all the time?
Blambo
« Reply #302 on: March 18, 2013, 12:20:16 PM »

This game gave me a huge, awesome migraine.
accolon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 18, 2013, 12:26:44 PM »

For a while now, I've been thinking about how to take this pixel-graphic game and upscale it to a modern or even retina res. Although I personally like old-school pixel graphics, I don't think the appeal holds for the general population.

I really love the current look. The low-color pixel graphics perfectly fit the 80s setting. They remind me of old games I used to play on my Commodore 64 when I was a child during that time. No need to vectorize anything.  Well, hello there!
phi6
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: March 18, 2013, 11:20:19 PM »

So I downloaded the beta this morning and have played in non-stop until it ended! So incredibly addictive - it looks and plays like a simple game but is surprisingly immersive and satisfying. I love the dystopian setting and can't wait for the full release.

One minor glitch - sometimes the next person in the queue walks underneath the guard's feet, I think the z layer is incorrect here.

TinyKeep is now on Steam!
@phi6
Uykered
« Reply #305 on: March 19, 2013, 02:54:55 AM »

This is pretty cool, I played till I got the guy on day 3 with no papers who wouldn't leave.

I like the vectorized look the best, and that high-res font is much more pleasant to read!
phi6
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: March 19, 2013, 08:54:21 AM »

I much preferred the original pixel look - dithered or not doesn't matter to me. In my opinion the intended design is always superior, regardless of pixel or vector - tricks that upscale using interpolation are nice ideas but in practice tend to look a bit fake.

Maybe it's just me, as they remind me of emulators!

TinyKeep is now on Steam!
@phi6
dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: March 20, 2013, 07:36:21 AM »

@DustyDrake
You don't have any control over the quota so I think it's ok to not show it and expect the player to just process until the day magically ends.

@wmcduff
I'm thinking to add tabs for the 3 sections, but probably not one for each country. I kinda like flipping around in the book.

@Core Xii
Clicking the loudspeaker out of turn doesn't have any effect. I just thought to put some dialog there for people who tried it.

@Blambo
Hehe, sorry about the headache.

@accolon, phi6, alastair, etc
The pixel/vector split doesn't surprise me. I like both styles, personally. A few people really prefer the vector since it's easier to read. Most people say the pixels are better. I think that once you get outside the game scene, and especially the indie scene, there's less focus on this and most people would feel more comfortable with smooth vectors.

More Faces
One male and one female sheet. It never ends. Most of the clothes look like they're from Star Trek at this point.

Click for timelapse drawing again.

Bombcasted
Had to share this. The Giant Bombcast guys talk about Papers, Please (at 2:23:50): Giant Bombcast 03-19-2013

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 20, 2013, 08:26:49 AM »

2, 1 is 185 cm with his hair
Glic2000
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 20, 2013, 11:35:33 AM »

This game is brilliant.  I have nothing else to add. Smiley
dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: March 20, 2013, 07:56:42 PM »

2, 1 is 185 cm with his hair

Heh, there's an xml file where I enter how high the hair goes above the head in order to calculate the height correctly. That guy's hair is the tallest at 18 pixels. True height = ~168cm.

Thanks Glic :D

dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: March 23, 2013, 02:25:02 AM »

Intro Screens

More simple than stunning.

secv
« Reply #312 on: March 23, 2013, 04:05:37 PM »

I popped in to do some reading before I played the newest build and saw the vector screen shots. After I saw the last screen and stopped having a panic attack, I think it looks as good as the first pixel iteration (aside from the text with is horrific).

That being said, I don't agree with the reasoning to change the style because you "don't think the appeal holds for the general population." Your artwork looks great. It was drawn with care. It communicates clearly and effectively. It makes a statement. I think most people will like how it looks and they will not care if it is aliased or anti-aliased. Your game is fun. People will play it regardless of whether it is vector or pixel.

From what I understand, you made a decision on which one you liked but had second thoughts because you imagined a group of people who won't agree. Do what you like. Save yourself the time and effort to redo artwork that you enjoy.

How it looks is just as much your vision of the game as how it works, and I don't get the feeling that you're changing the mechanics to suit a general population.
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 23, 2013, 07:17:36 PM »

Intro Screens

More simple than stunning.
[imgs]
Simple stunning images that perfectly illustrate the text below

Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 23, 2013, 07:38:06 PM »

Love those images. I think the apartment one is lacking in some way though.

arnemeyer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #315 on: March 24, 2013, 03:51:59 PM »

I have to say, given the time period you're hearkening back to, the pixelly version seems to evoke that feeling the best, even if it's actually better than what was possible at the time from what I remember/can research.

I'm not caring much for the pure vector version unfortunately. So +1 vote for keeping it blocky pixels.
corpocracy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 25, 2013, 12:30:09 AM »

**Spoilerish**
Just played my first run through of the beta and loved it. My heart literally STOPPED after the suicide bomber on day 7(?). I was rushing through the end of the day, let a guy through, fumbling with the papers of the next person when the shutters slam shut, I hear a loud bang, and when I look over, all I saw was blood. I felt myself actually getting angry with every Kolechian trying to cross the border.

Anyways, I just had a few clarification I wanted to make. When I played it seems like I completed a few "missions" and I got two token things. At first, I thought this was money and was thrilled. But when I got the EOD screen, I didn't know what to do with my new shiny things. I'm assuming the tokens are just a means to mark advancements, but I think this could be made more clear in the End of Day screen.

Also, and I know you're still balancing this, but I get pretty poor pretty quickly. I know there are options for getting bribed and for getting penalized, but I think there should be incentives for doing "well" (at least under Arstotzka definitions). For instance, if I detain a "proven" terrorist, I should get a small bonus (either straight money or, hey! we'll cover the rent for today comrade!). My main reason for this is because it takes a lot of time to properly identify and detain suspects. You have to pull out the rulebook, use the indicator, interrogate them, sometimes call for fingerprints or strip search, and then finally detain them. All of this takes time away from making your quota for the day which ends up leaving you poorer for doing your job effectively. On the other hand, I could just as easily deny a person and save a lot of time and actually make more money. This may be somewhat intended, but I still think there should be some reward path for being a loyal government dog.
Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 25, 2013, 01:49:00 AM »

Yeah keep the pixels, I do like the higher res font but, the pixels are better.

SlappyMoose
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 26, 2013, 02:07:45 PM »

I registered just so I could respond to this. Please keep the hard edged, pixelated style. (dithering looks great, as well). It just works so well with the style of game and the message it sends, anything more advanced would just be silly. It looks beautiful as is and if anyone really decides not to play the game just because they dislike pixels, then that's their loss.
MATATAT
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 28, 2013, 12:33:36 PM »

I haven't played through the game so far yet (but I will). I'm only on level 2 after accidentally playing that flash thing where all the people have issues with their papers. So he played through the game and one thing he mentioned to me was that towards the end he said it was hard to break even every day. He had thought that someone was going to approach him about doing something illegal. I actually thought it was a great idea for someone to approach you about some illegal smuggling or something to get a little extra money. I'm not sure how open the game is to outside features but personally I think it would be a neat event/feature to add to the game.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 36
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic