Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 12:06:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPapers, Please [Available 8/8]
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 36
Print
Author Topic: Papers, Please [Available 8/8]  (Read 532023 times)
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #340 on: April 12, 2013, 04:23:52 AM »

No way man, you need that money to keep your mother-in-law warm.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #341 on: April 12, 2013, 07:46:20 AM »

Voted, good luck!

fylth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 12, 2013, 08:30:02 AM »

Voted for the game! I've asked  my friends to have a look and upvote too!

Can you be bribed in the game? In the video when they slide their papers through to you I imagined a small wad of money coming in-between the pages. I guess the money would be useless to the player though as it would have no purpose other than to identify someone as ejection material.

Someone actually does that in the beta, you can choose to hand them in or keep it for yourself to feed your family. I did the latter of course, the wage you get paid is fairly lousy Tongue
effete_denizen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 12, 2013, 08:41:31 AM »

Haha that is awesome! This is on my list of games to get.
Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #344 on: April 12, 2013, 12:11:40 PM »

Voted!  Great trailer, after watching it I feel like I want to stamp things to the beat of that song in the trailer.

Rusk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: April 12, 2013, 05:40:39 PM »

Voted as well. Good luck! Shrug
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 12, 2013, 09:31:36 PM »

YOURE GOING TO GET GREENLIT LUCAS

play hydlide 2
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #347 on: April 12, 2013, 11:00:45 PM »

Please enter the green channel immediately. Kindly remember that customs officials are not allowed to accept high-fives.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #348 on: April 13, 2013, 01:06:48 AM »

YOURE GOING TO GET GREENLIT LUCAS

AGREED. YOU TOTLA DESERVE ALL THIS RECKOGNITION! Hand Clap

dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #349 on: April 13, 2013, 01:20:29 AM »

Thanks everyone!

Here's the current percentages:

Bit depressing really..

..but according to the top averages, in the ballpark:

In summary, Greenlight is weird and I'm still worried.

Flotilla
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 13, 2013, 01:47:42 AM »

Thanks everyone!

Here's the current percentages:

Bit depressing really..

..but according to the top averages, in the ballpark:

In summary, Greenlight is weird and I'm still worried.

The fact that you managed to get a majority positive vote in the pool of cynics that is Steam Greenlight is a blessing, take it to mean that your game is good.

I'm really looking forward to your game, and I hope to see lots of neat stuff added before the game is shipped off to Steam (which I'm sure it will).
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 13, 2013, 04:33:06 AM »

I think Greenlight is simply a bad idea on it' own but you can't get your games on Steam without it...
MegaScience
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 13, 2013, 07:39:05 AM »

Wasn't Valve suggesting to take down Greenlight and do it 'correctly' based on what they've learned or something?
dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #353 on: April 13, 2013, 07:56:34 AM »

Wasn't Valve suggesting to take down Greenlight and do it 'correctly' based on what they've learned or something?

Yeah I've heard this too. But who knows what they're planning or when. For all I know it could be worse than GL. Right now the goal is to get at least one game on Steam. After that there'll be a Valve account manager contact and GL won't be necessary for future titles.

Interestingly, a game I made with my wife, Mightier, was in the very first batch of indie games added to Steam ~4 years ago. But that was freeware and whoever handled it at Valve is long gone.

Flotilla
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 13, 2013, 12:46:07 PM »

Interestingly, a game I made with my wife, Mightier, was in the very first batch of indie games added to Steam ~4 years ago. But that was freeware and whoever handled it at Valve is long gone.

Valve was really desperate for content up until late 2009 or so. Now that they actually have lots of publishers backing them, they reject all the indie devs that were there first... it's a shame.
fallacy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 13, 2013, 01:25:35 PM »

Hey, I just wanted to let you know that the game is awesome so far...too bad it crashes when you want to play the 9th day...

Also, someone added the game to GOG's wishlist:

http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/papers_please
dD_ShockTrooper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 14, 2013, 12:40:46 AM »

This game is awesome, I still can't get over the "Are you a woman or a man?" errors. I think the difficulty in the game is good, I think it fits the theme for it to be difficult to pay all the bills if you're being a good checkpoint officer who obeys the law.

Although, I found the citation penalties were too soft, you could actually just stamp everything without looking and still make $70-80 each day after deductions. Also, it turns out that paying penalties is as optional as the rent, and as a result I managed to get $815 in savings at the end of the 8 days, with all of my family "OK".

There wasn't even any consequences for doing so, the only people that went on to cause trouble had legitimate documents anyway...

Finally, if you play the game through again and try refusing those Kolchians entry, it becomes pretty obvious that the game is forcing you to let one through...
Flotilla
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 14, 2013, 02:47:18 AM »

Although, I found the citation penalties were too soft, you could actually just stamp everything without looking and still make $70-80 each day after deductions. Also, it turns out that paying penalties is as optional as the rent, and as a result I managed to get $815 in savings at the end of the 8 days, with all of my family "OK".

Perhaps instead of deducting money continually, after 4-5 penalties the day ends prematurely due to the immigration inspector needing "counseling". That'd likely leave you with much less money than you would have if you did it normally. Or if you really want to make sure people fill out the quota, just have the day outright fail. Just an idea, though.

Oh, and the end-of-day tally is buggy for me and a friend, and text appears over the button to go to the next day. Do you think that implementing a scrollbox for that would help?

And last thing! Will there be hotkeys to easily navigate through documents?

« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 02:53:16 AM by Flotilla » Logged
dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #358 on: April 14, 2013, 09:52:39 AM »

There wasn't even any consequences for doing so, the only people that went on to cause trouble had legitimate documents anyway...

This is a good point and something I never thought to try. I'll probably end the game after 5 penalties or something.

Finally, if you play the game through again and try refusing those Kolchians entry, it becomes pretty obvious that the game is forcing you to let one through...

I don't have to make the paperwork actually Kolechian, which might help. But really there are certain scripted things that will play out the same each time no matter what. A proper endless mode separate from the story mode should help with replayability.

Perhaps instead of deducting money continually, after 4-5 penalties the day ends prematurely due to the immigration inspector needing "counseling".

Yup, that sounds good.

Oh, and the end-of-day tally is buggy for me and a friend, and text appears over the button to go to the next day. Do you think that implementing a scrollbox for that would help?

I hate scroll boxes but I'll figure something out. Maybe drop to a smaller font if there are too many items.

And last thing! Will there be hotkeys to easily navigate through documents?

I'm not too crazy about keyboard shortcuts and I'm not even sure how that would work to navigate documents. I've thought about simplifying this aspect of the game a couple times, but shuffling things around is a pretty critical element of game's mechanics. Right now you can use the space bar to toggle inspection mode and I'm thinking to add right-click to inspect+highlight in one go.

New Build, Not Exciting

I finally broke down and made a new build with minor fixes. There was a rare game-stopping bug on day 2 that someone helped me track down and I got tired of explaining that the day 3 no-papers guy was not a bug, just bad design. Curious to see if my brilliant solution works.

BETA 0.5.7 - GRAB IT HERE

• Added better hints for day 3 missing-papers guy
  • Fixed progression stopping bug on day 2
  • Fixed penalty after correcting mistaken visit duration
  • Updated bird logo. Now with screaming
  • Fixed clickable Rent/Penalties on night screen
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 10:08:31 AM by dukope » Logged

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 14, 2013, 11:17:17 AM »

WOO!!!