Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 05:05:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPapers, Please [Available 8/8]
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 36
Print
Author Topic: Papers, Please [Available 8/8]  (Read 532388 times)
erikchan002
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: April 24, 2013, 08:45:29 AM »

The game is fantastic. Though there's some minor bugs(0.5.11) I found after a few play-throughs.
1. The date on both chops stay at 1982.11.23 even after the 23rd.
2. If you press continue after the end of beta the game crashes. I don't think this problem will still be there after the release.
3. If you chop both chops that person gets denied. Not sure if intended. No way to amend if the wrong one is chopped.

Also I think having more keyboard short-cuts would be good, as only space is used currently(again, 0.5.11). Maybe a key for calling the next person in-line?
I don't really like the idea of pinning up the rule book or other things, even a small part of them. I think it would be nice to let the players feel panicked when they have a lot of stuff on their desk and have to move them around quickly. Learning how to manage my desk properly is part of the game for me.
Right-clicking may help but I'm fine with space-clicking.
dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #441 on: April 24, 2013, 09:49:57 AM »

Thanks to everybody for the comments. I'm gonna dump a huge response here. It's getting harder and harder to respond to people individually as the game gets more exposure. This is a problem I always wished to have Smiley

fleur: Looking through this thread, I am wondering why the player must get a rifle, necessarily?
It's a gameplay thing that I'm stubbornly attached to. That's basically all there is to it. I haven't finished integrating it though, so it may still be cut if I find it doesn't work.

zede: Are you going to release this on mobile as well?
I'm plotting it. After PC/Mac, and likely only iPad due to the size constraints.

John Sandoval: it wasn't clear to me till about day 5 that i had to/was able to feed my family
I've added a message about this on the first day's night screen. (final branch only, not in betas)

Comrade Beric: Point of fact, I'm still unsure of exactly how I get paid.
Yeah the game is intentionally vague about this. And a lot of other things I guess. I may put a small number on the night screen somewhere to incidate how many people you processed. With that it'll be possible to deduce (without being told directly) how the money is awarded.

arkhometha: I detained him [the pimp] and the newspaper gave me he the ringleader was arrested but the girls still died. I thought the blame was on me.
Are you sure about this? There are two exclusive scenarios:

- Detain him and get this news:
   @ News Human Trafficking Ring Shut Down! \ Grestin Checkpoint Officer Nabs Mastermind \ Face:M-11-12-8-5
- Approve/Deny him and get this news:
   @ News Dancers At Grestin Club Found Dead! \ Newly Immigrated Girls Victims Of Human Trafficking

Are you saying you saw both pieces of news after detaining him?

crazysam: Can you share how you handled full screen / windowed switching and most importantly, window resizing?
There is a top-level sprite (child of the stage) that contains all the display objects and handles the resize message:

public static var kPixelWidth = 570;
   public static var kPixelHeight = 320;
   private function applySizing()
   {
      // choose resMult to fit stage size
      var mult = 1;
      while (true)
      {
         if (kPixelWidth*(mult+1) > stageWidth) break;
         if (kPixelHeight*(mult+1) > stageHeight) break;
         mult++;
      }
      resMult = mult;
      scaleX = mult;
      scaleY = mult;
      x = (stageWidth - kPixelWidth*scaleX)/2;
      y = (stageHeight - kPixelHeight*scaleY)/2
   }

That puts the play area in the center of the screen at the highest possible whole-pixel scale. This often doesn't fill the screen, so there's also a set of 4 black bitmaps (also children of the stage) arranged around the play area to mask it.

Arhemont: So basically all the actions are wrong. ... I would love to see this principle implemented in all of the stories.
Heh, I'm probably not going to take the moral pain that far.

Lt_Commander: [Sweet fanart]
Awesome!

Gimym TILBERT: Make it a facebook game...
Stop right there.

seagaia: Hey, could you document how you did encrypt the assets with #1
I can give you the gist but obviously not all the details. It'll take some time though. Remind me in a PM.

xclpr: [idea]
That sounds kinda cool, but the game is mostly mapped out in my head and such a feature doesn't fit well with what I have planned.

DannySpud: The omniscient supervisors make my "job" feel pointless.
I understand this point of view, but without the immediate citations the game is broken and unfun. You can try the alpha build to see for yourself. In that version you are cited but it doesn't list the actual mistake. There are some posts earlier in the devlog discussing it. I'll address the "inspector inspector" at some point in-game.

szron: Pages of a passport ... Computer system ... "Secondary" ...
I originally envisioned checking previous VISAs but, as Armageddon said, felt the complexity wasn't worth it. Also, the game originally did have a computer telex system for getting information from the Ministry of Admission. It was cut a pretty long time ago. I think there are a few devlog posts about it but the summary is that it wasn't needed after I implemented the current fingerprinting system. Finally, I think a 2nd round of interrogation would slow the game down too much.

whyareall: A suggestion that someone made a while back that didn't seem to get notice was right clicking for discrepancies, instead of having to pull up the big, screen-covering thing that blocks you from moving documents around and wastes time.
That was my suggestion Smiley. It would just be a shortcut for entering inspect mode and selecting with one click. Inspecting will always be a separate mode where you can't move the documents. I haven't implemented it yet because it's such a minor optimization that I haven't felt the need.

SliceOfDog: [bug with rejecting/denying everyone]
This'll get fixed with escalating penalties. Around 5 in one day will be enough to game-over that night.

SliceOfDog: [having a smaller rulebook that pins]
There are many ways I could make the interface more optimal but as mentioned before I'm happy with the current level of required paper shuffling. Makes me feel like I'm working. In a good way.

erikchan002: [bugs] ... Maybe a key for calling the next person in-line?
Thanks for the bug reports. I think it's important to make the player look up to the top area every once in a while to click the booth. This is mainly why I put the button there (instead of keeping it on the desk).

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: April 24, 2013, 10:11:57 AM »

Don't you already list the number of people you processed in the last version you released?
Like it says something like Salary(X), I assumed X was the number of people you processed.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: April 24, 2013, 10:49:09 AM »

Did you manage to get the windowed mode to resize using HaXe? I can't figure it out. NME head says that I might need to implement it in the CPP code.

play hydlide 2
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: April 24, 2013, 11:32:02 AM »

amazing game but:

there were a couple of instances where, even though the issuing city on the passport didn't match up with those in the manual, the game didn't let me point out discrepancies and said the info was correct.

am i just missing something or is that a bug?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 01:20:36 PM by C.A. Sinner » Logged
Mirka
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: April 24, 2013, 08:40:14 PM »

Are you saying you saw both pieces of news after detaining him?

Yes, I'm pretty sure I saw it. I played your game two times. The first one, I didn't link him to the letter so I just denied him, got a "wrong support" message and nothing more. THe second time I linked him, detained him and in the next morning I got both the human trafficking shuts down and the news that the girls died. That was in version 0.5.07. I will try to reproduce it in the latest version.
Hibbe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: April 24, 2013, 11:05:32 PM »

Bug: After denying someone, I pressed the speaker before they had left and it said "welcome to Arstotzka"

Otherwise, great game! Hopefully it will be playable while listening to podcasts, seems like that could work. Smiley
benexclaimed
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: April 25, 2013, 07:44:20 AM »

I've seen lots of people here and elsewhere asking you to increase the desk size -- I have to disagree. Please please please don't. I absolutely love that I have to shuffle papers around on my tiny, disorganized desk to find what I'm looking for.
Mirka
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: April 25, 2013, 09:25:15 AM »

Bug: After denying someone, I pressed the speaker before they had left and it said "welcome to Arstotzka"

Otherwise, great game! Hopefully it will be playable while listening to podcasts, seems like that could work. Smiley

That's not a bug. When you press the speaker while you are with someone in the cabin, you will say some phrases like this one or "ready your papers".
Hibbe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: April 25, 2013, 11:45:06 AM »

That's not a bug. When you press the speaker while you are with someone in the cabin, you will say some phrases like this one or "ready your papers".

Oh yeah, you are right, it's directed towards the crowd, not the individual, sorry.
umbra
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: April 25, 2013, 04:30:29 PM »

it would be nice to have some "hot" keys to do some things, in real life you have 2 hands to work with, so it is a little aquward to do it with only one hand
Beg please Beg  Hand Any Key
Commdor
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: April 25, 2013, 09:31:19 PM »

Great game! I discovered it via a playthrough video on IGN, was hooked by the premise, and immediately tried the beta. Looking forward to buying and playing the completed version.

A question/suggestion, if you have the time and patience for someone else who wants to hijack your creative process:

Will there be anything like an endless mode in the final game where you can examine and stamp documents indefinitely to your heart's content? The narrative so far is intriguing, but the gameplay has this satisfying, addictive quality to it that the daily time restriction gets in the way of. I'd like to keep playing without interruption, see how many people I can check before I get too many citations or hit a longer time limit. Maybe have meaningless in-game rewards to aim for if I reach a certain quota, like a medal or convoluted bureaucratic title ("Senior Regional District Admission Manager, 3rd Class" for checking 50 people without citations or somesuch).

Bottom-line, the more document-stamping goodness you can stuff in there, the better.
Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #452 on: April 26, 2013, 12:48:08 AM »

How about an endless mode where you play day by day and the game randomly gives you different "rules" every day? This way the full variety of the game's mechanics could be in use!

Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: April 26, 2013, 01:11:40 AM »

The number of users in this thread who've signed up just to post about this game is staggering. A real accolade!
Zarkonnen
Level 1

Games! Kittens! Wine!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #454 on: April 26, 2013, 01:20:52 AM »

This is an amazing game that really falls into its own category of amazingness. It's definitely now my go-to game for showing non-gamers that games are a thing worth caring about.

dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #455 on: April 26, 2013, 01:38:58 AM »

I've seen lots of people here and elsewhere asking you to increase the desk size -- I have to disagree. Please please please don't. I absolutely love that I have to shuffle papers around on my tiny, disorganized desk to find what I'm looking for.

Yeah, don't worry about that. I'm definitely not changing the desk (or any) size at this point. For those that want a bigger desk, play the alpha to know what a small desk is. The beta IS the big desk.

it would be nice to have some "hot" keys to do some things, in real life you have 2 hands to work with, so it is a little aquward to do it with only one hand

This is the only logically-backed suggestion I've heard for adding hotkeys. I'll think about it.

How about an endless mode where you play day by day and the game randomly gives you different "rules" every day? This way the full variety of the game's mechanics could be in use!

Yup!

The number of users in this thread who've signed up just to post about this game is staggering. A real accolade!

Thanks and lemme just say:

If you signed up recently to post here, please check out the other awesome games in
>>THE DEVLOG FORUM <<
You can start with Bishop's own Trash TV

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: April 26, 2013, 02:40:23 AM »

Thanks and lemme just say:

If you signed up recently to post here, please check out the other awesome games in
>>THE DEVLOG FORUM <<
You can start with Bishop's own Trash TV

you are a fine individual  Smiley
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: April 26, 2013, 02:42:38 AM »

This is like Delver #2!
tsukos
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: April 26, 2013, 05:31:56 AM »

I wanted to point out that whenever you have to ask someone to provide a missing document and they produce it, all of their information is always correct. I have tested this over 15 playthroughs and it is always true so far.

Congratulations on making a game so compelling that people sign up to the forum just to post in this thread.
Grenator
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: April 26, 2013, 01:54:54 PM »

I wanted to point out that whenever you have to ask someone to provide a missing document and they produce it, all of their information is always correct. I have tested this over 15 playthroughs and it is always true so far.

Congratulations on making a game so compelling that people sign up to the forum just to post in this thread.

Yes, if there's anything superficially wrong with the papers (like a person with different, but known, names, or whose appearance is different from the picture in the passport, but the prints match), ultimately, there is always nothing wrong with them. Red herrings would be more fun.

(signed up just to post in this thread)
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 36
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic