Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 04:26:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPapers, Please [Available 8/8]
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 36
Print
Author Topic: Papers, Please [Available 8/8]  (Read 532386 times)
crem
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: July 22, 2013, 02:07:37 AM »

The forum seems to be surprisingly silent recently.  Who, Me?

dukope, maybe there is any interesting recent information that you'd like to update us with?  Wink
dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #601 on: August 01, 2013, 07:16:55 AM »

Done!

I made it! It's still summer! Thank fuck!

Papers, Please is all set to release next week, August 8th on Steam, GOG.com, and the Humble Store. Pre-orders are open now on PapersPlea.se

My apologies for the silence on here. These last months have been completely insane with finishing, testing, fixing, tweaking, polishing, signing contracts, making store assets, redoing websites, setting up support systems, check user-submitted names, and stressing the fuck out.

Pre-orders open today and I'm actually still working on small things for the game. The final build needs to be boxed and shipped by Monday morning to hit the Thursday release.

From the Beta

I took feedback from the open beta and tried my best to fix everything while adding as much content as I could. Originally I had planned on 30 days for the full game but when laying out all the events (by far the hardest part of the development for me), I just couldn't fit it all in. So the final game has 31 days.

20 Endings

There's 20 endings in all, which is honestly way too many. Adding a new ending became a logical and elegant way to handle all the different things the player could do. 12 of the endings are considered "early" in that they appear before the 31 days are up. The remaining 8 are attainable at the end of day 31. Which ending you get is dependent on the decisions you make during the days and nights. The branching save system makes it easy to go back and try different things.

Endless Mode

The full version features a separate "Endless" mode that's unlocked by reaching a certain Story mode ending (or finding the unlock code on the net). There's 3 game-types (Timed, Perfection, and Endurance) and 4 rule-sets (which documents and rules are in effect at the checkpoint) to choose from and Steam leaderboards for the score rankings.

Launching

I've done my best to coordinate everything (press emails, twitter announcement, this post, greenlight update, website update, stores going live, etc, etc) to make the announcement today. Honestly I've been pretty overwhelmed by this part of the project. Making games is great fun until the last 10%.

Support

The thing that scares me the most about releasing this game is the support. Mainly, I'm worried about someone buying the game and having it not run properly on their system. I fixed a lot of issues from the beta but wasn't able to run a complete system test on the final build. My plan is to work as diligently and quickly as possible to fix any issues that come up after release. Steam makes it very easy to update a game in the wild which is great for a small developer like me. GOG and Humble Store are a little harder, but I've at least set up a pipeline that lets me create update builds quickly and easily. There'll also be a support page where I can put common problems and their solutions and players having issues can fill out a form to request support directly.

Rusk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: August 01, 2013, 07:44:30 AM »

Congratulations! I'm looking forward to finally finishing it. Smiley

So where should I get the game? I suppose you have different deals on all these places. Or maybe you want steam sales to have a better chance of front page display?
Rez
Level 0

Welp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #603 on: August 01, 2013, 07:55:58 AM »

I'd like to congratulate you on this victory.
Finishing a game is difficult, but you pulled it off in quite a nice fashion. You've got loads of fans and hype, and with good reason!

dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #604 on: August 01, 2013, 07:58:09 AM »

So where should I get the game? I suppose you have different deals on all these places. Or maybe you want steam sales to have a better chance of front page display?

You know I'm not sure. Humble Store gives the biggest cut but yeah, that means it won't get a feature on Steam. I think Steam at least isn't that interested in the preorder phase since there's no bonuses or discounts. I really wanted to add bonuses, but Steam isn't built for extra non-DLC content that's external to the game.

I'd like to congratulate you on this victory.
Finishing a game is difficult, but you pulled it off in quite a nice fashion. You've got loads of fans and hype, and with good reason!

Thank you!

MegaScience
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: August 01, 2013, 08:13:38 AM »

Ah, I have a topic on an unrelated forum about the game that someone bumped with this information. I updated the topic there. Smiley Can't wait!
Razzek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: August 01, 2013, 08:15:48 AM »

Congratulations! I'll be sure to pick up a copy, as I loved the beta.

poe
« Reply #607 on: August 01, 2013, 08:19:12 AM »

Congrats man!
Blambo
« Reply #608 on: August 01, 2013, 08:25:27 AM »

Congrats! It takes skill to make a game about drudgery as awesome as this.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: August 01, 2013, 09:46:35 AM »

yes!

Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #610 on: August 01, 2013, 11:10:14 AM »

Congrats!

That 8/8 release date looked like a score for a moment, in your poster/ad image ... (although I guess for that purpose releasing on 10/10 would be more ambiguous!)

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #611 on: August 01, 2013, 11:20:27 AM »

Excellent, well done.

Glory to Arstotzka!

website  |  devlog  |  twitter  |  indieDB  |  facebook  |  steam
Dr. Cooldude
« Reply #612 on: August 01, 2013, 11:21:09 AM »

Woo, congrats! Going to pre-order it right now! Shit, my credit card is currently blocked for some unknown reason. :/ Oh well, good luck!

Glory to Arstotzka!
Fleury
Level 0

Pixel Champions Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #613 on: August 01, 2013, 11:36:51 AM »

Woo, congrats! Going to pre-order it right now! Shit, my credit card is currently blocked for some unknown reason. :/

DISCREPANCY

DETECTED

• You are a male or female?

Looking for a retro 2D MMORPG? Check out Pixel Champions! [official site, facebook page]
Dr. Cooldude
« Reply #614 on: August 01, 2013, 11:45:30 AM »

Woo, congrats! Going to pre-order it right now! Shit, my credit card is currently blocked for some unknown reason. :/

DISCREPANCY

DETECTED

• You are a male or female?

Oh shit, please, I'm begging you-
terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #615 on: August 01, 2013, 12:24:19 PM »

Oh man, I've been waiting this, congratulations on release!
Glory to Arstotzka!

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #616 on: August 01, 2013, 12:51:53 PM »

Oh man, this is one of those few projects I've seen here that actually finishes quickly and goes on major stores. Congrats!

BTW, if you don't mind, after a while, could you tell us your sales figures? I'd love to see how a game this size sells. Thanks.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
poe
« Reply #617 on: August 01, 2013, 01:12:50 PM »

Oh man, this is one of those few projects I've seen here that actually finishes quickly and goes on major stores. Congrats!

BTW, if you don't mind, after a while, could you tell us your sales figures? I'd love to see how a game this size sells. Thanks.

Seconded!
Dr. Cooldude
« Reply #618 on: August 01, 2013, 01:13:39 PM »

Seconded!

Thirded
emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #619 on: August 01, 2013, 01:24:27 PM »

Congrats man, I'm really excited to pick this up.  Good luck with the sales (with all the publicity you've gotten, I think it should go quite well Wink)!

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 36
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic