Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1038208 Posts in 41955 Topics- by 33567 Members - Latest Member: Nylister

September 01, 2014, 10:48:46 PM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsFinishedPapers, Please [Available 8/8]
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 48
Print
Author Topic: Papers, Please [Available 8/8]  (Read 174292 times)
dukope
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: December 15, 2012, 04:31:32 AM »

I can still use it though, and how do I send someone without a pass and entry. Also any way to know if I did right or wrong? On top of that right before I saw documents of a guy I slammed it shut and it's stuck, can't get anyone new or something

Just fixed the invisible stamp still working. Thanks for the info. As makerimages says, if they're missing all documents, highlight the counter and the rule and they'll walk out.

Reload the page if it's stuck for now. I'll look into a proper fix.

Eigen
Level 10

Jebus backups.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: December 15, 2012, 04:41:44 AM »

Why do I have to click on the names in the passport and permit to highlight the disperancy if I can clearly see the difference in names and could stamp "Denied" right away?

I'm really enjoying it so far. Hand Clap

Some sounds would help, though.

dukope
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: December 15, 2012, 04:47:40 AM »

Why do I have to click on the names in the passport and permit to highlight the disperancy if I can clearly see the difference in names and could stamp "Denied" right away?

Just some artificial gating since there's no other reason to highlight yet. In the end, the denied stamp will always be available and highlighting errors will allow further actions like in one of the animated gifs I posted.

I agree it definitely needs some audio. I probably won't get to that until some of the other mechanics are worked out though.

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: December 15, 2012, 05:29:59 AM »

btw could you please switch all the dates to d/m/y or provide us the option to pick it, it really confused me at the first with "What the hell, are we in the future with 100 day calendar?!"

goshki
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: December 15, 2012, 08:13:58 AM »

Wow, this game is amazingly addictive! I've denied, like, 50 people and it felt so satisfying to spot discrepancies, given that some of them were not so obvious.

Three things, though:
- I haven't got anyone who would qualify to pass, is this on purpose? Currently if someone should be denied and I grant access, nothing happens and I know that I have to look better. Maybe such person should pass and the player should get some negative points with explanation what was wrong with the papers?
- wouldn't it be convenient if the documents got auto-denied if I find a discrepancy?
- what's the purpose of the leverage that closes the window?

Again, this game is so addictive in a quirky kind of way. This feeling of contentment while denying entrance is quite unsettling and I guess it says something about human nature.

BTW, I see you use Haxe, cool! :D Is this HaxeFlixel or your own code? And do you plan to put it up on different platforms also (iOS, Android)?

btw could you please switch all the dates to d/m/y or provide us the option to pick it, it really confused me at the first with "What the hell, are we in the future with 100 day calendar?!"

Heh, I didn't have this problem. Must be a matter of country date standards.

dukope
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2012, 09:10:59 AM »

Wow, this game is amazingly addictive! I've denied, like, 50 people and it felt so satisfying to spot discrepancies, given that some of them were not so obvious.

Thank you goshki, this is very encouraging to hear!

- I haven't got anyone who would qualify to pass, is this on purpose? Currently if someone should be denied and I grant access, nothing happens and I know that I have to look better. Maybe such person should pass and the player should get some negative points with explanation what was wrong with the papers?

Yeah there's only illegitimate travelers at the moment. This build is to nail down the procedural mechanics of inspecting documents. Later builds will have a mix and there will be consequences to letting the wrong people through. The plan is to break the game up into days and somehow report your stats after each day. Maybe there I could have some kind of recap system so you can see exactly what you did wrong.

- wouldn't it be convenient if the documents got auto-denied if I find a discrepancy?
- what's the purpose of the leverage that closes the window?

Stamping is the most fun for me Smiley. The gameplay is really about procedure and rigamarole so I wouldn't want to skip through elements like this. The shutters don't have any function yet. I talked about it a little upthread. It will come into play as a defensive mechanism.

This feeling of contentment while denying entrance is quite unsettling and I guess it says something about human nature.

Hehe. I also get serious satisfaction from denying people. I think the key is that they're trying to lie their way into MY country, GTFO Outraged. I'm going to try to make the applicants a little more sympathetic in the future so the feelings aren't as clear.

BTW, I see you use Haxe, cool! :D Is this HaxeFlixel or your own code? And do you plan to put it up on different platforms also (iOS, Android)?

Just basic Haxe/NME, no Flixel. This is my first Haxe project and I chose it so that I could target other platforms easily. The goal is to do native PC/Max/Linux versions first. The game is a little tight for phones but might work well on tablets.

Eventually I'll have it select the date format based on your locale.

goshki
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: December 15, 2012, 09:57:29 AM »

Ha! I've just found out that you also did 6 Degrees of Freedom. Oh man, I loved this game.  Beer!

dukope
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: December 15, 2012, 11:37:51 PM »

Ha! I've just found out that you also did 6 Degrees of Freedom. Oh man, I loved this game.  Beer!

Thank you but I hope you mean 6 Degrees of Sabotage  Grin

I also really enjoy your Pole Vaultage. Great visuals and control(s). I got the hang of it after a while and am able to clear the fence pretty regularly.

goshki
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: December 15, 2012, 11:44:28 PM »

Sorry, 6 Degrees of Sabotage, of course! Facepalm

Glad you like Pole Vaultage! although it's far from what I planned it to be (I hope to expand it someday). Beer!

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: December 16, 2012, 08:56:35 AM »

Really cool game, it was fun and addictive from what I played.  Using the huge stamp felt so cool, and I liked how you could stamp the passport as many times as you want just for fun.

dukope
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: December 17, 2012, 07:47:49 AM »

Really cool game, it was fun and addictive from what I played.  Using the huge stamp felt so cool, and I liked how you could stamp the passport as many times as you want just for fun.

Thanks. There's not enough stamping in games.

Speech Bub
A simple speech bubble for conversing with the victim applicant.

At the moment I'm working on the stuff that happens after you highlight a discrepancy. Each type of error will lead to a short dialog interaction and in some cases the option to search their body or send a telex.

It may also prompt the applicant to submit more documents. For instance, if they don't have an entry permit and you ask them about it, they could say something like "Whoops, here it is." and put it on the counter.

For this dialog system I'm going to try to categorize responses into different "personalities" which would enable applicants to be dickheads, sympathetic, indifferent etc.

Tracking Performance
One issue I haven't gotten to yet is how to show player performance. If the game is broken into days, there should be some stat thing that shows at the end of each day. I was recently thinking it might be cool to have this be a sort of flash-forward "Where are they now" summary for each traveler you dealt with.

As an example, if you let a smuggler through in error, it would give a small report like "[PICTURE] Anton Sarvoy: Arrested for smuggling. Detained and executed". Or hopefully it's something more positive. If you had mercy on someone with poor documentation: "[PICTURE] Alice Mitchells: Reunited with son. Gainfully employed." So these blurbs are from the far future, not just the next day. Might be kinda weird in that sense.

On the other hand
I think some of an immigration inspector's anxiety comes from not knowing what happens to the immigrants they process every day. In Papers Please there will be immediately visible consequences in some cases (terrorist bomber). But in other cases the person will just pass through and you won't know what happened until the stats screen at the end of each day. Not sure if I want to try to capture that sense of not-knowing and show only minimal stats or treat it more like a game with detailed information on each immigrant.

Panurge
Level 4

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #101 on: December 17, 2012, 09:38:55 AM »

Personally, I think those sort of omniscient reports about the immigrants' futures would 'break the spell' and take away the immediacy which is one of the current charms of the game.

Perhaps you could find some middle ground and have occasional repercussions from prior applications?

For example, you may receive a notice warning you that a particular immigrant you let through the previous day was later arrested trying to buy arms on the black market and discrepancies were noted in his documentation. Maybe after so many written warnings you would face a disciplinary hearing.

On the other hand, you might receive a thank-you letter and a jar of pickled turnip from the poor grandmother you let through to join her family.

Love the new build btw - it's worryingly satisfying...

dukope
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: December 17, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »

For example, you may receive a notice warning you that a particular immigrant you let through the previous day was later arrested trying to buy arms on the black market and discrepancies were noted in his documentation. Maybe after so many written warnings you would face a disciplinary hearing.
On the other hand, you might receive a thank-you letter and a jar of pickled turnip from the poor grandmother you let through to join her family.

This is perfect; way better than a stats screen. Definitely gonna do this. Thank you for the great idea, Panurge!

Letters

Each morning there'll be a stack of letters on the counter. Before calling the first applicant of the day you'll be able to look through them using the same drag+drop interface. They might be updates from the Ministry, reprimands, thank you notes from approved applicants, hate mail from denied applicants or....

Bribes

I'm keen to have some form of bribery in the game. Maybe your "score" will actually be your money. Some less-than-honest applicants can offer you money up front, or the promise to mail cash to you later in exchange for a quick approval. This'll give you some non-altrusitic incentive to let the bad ones through.

Progression
The money system could also nicely tie in to the overall progression. Let's say you receive a daily salary from the Ministry based on performance. Each day you lose a little money due to living expenses. Your current income represents your wealth bracket, of which there are several. The story and game progresses as you move up the brackets.

Eigen
Level 10

Jebus backups.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: December 17, 2012, 10:59:21 PM »

Bribes

I'm keen to have some form of bribery in the game. Maybe your "score" will actually be your money. Some less-than-honest applicants can offer you money up front, or the promise to mail cash to you later in exchange for a quick approval. This'll give you some non-altrusitic incentive to let the bad ones through.

I'm not sure. Since there's no use for the money in-game I wouldn't accept any bribes because basically that works like a "skip" button (or a cheat). Now, if the story in the beginning of the game stated that I'm a poor immigration officer hoping to make enough money to buy .. I dunno .. something important (for either me or my family), then I had the incentive to consider it.

Another idea I had which might help with the whole progress updates thing is that you have several levels or ranks of immigration officials. You start out as the low-importance clerk and you mostly get honest people along with some nifty characters. If you do good and catch them, you get promoted and get to work on more complex cases. About 5 ranks should be enough, depending on how long you want the game to be. If there's no save feature then it shouldn't be very long anyway. The replayability with unique faces and random set of documents should be more than enough to make up for that.

epcc
Level 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #104 on: December 19, 2012, 10:16:06 AM »

When doing bribes, you can implement sting operations to make accepting bribes more risky, but always add a subtle clue whether the immigrant is actually an undercover agent.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 48
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic