Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:10:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralKickstarter supporters are suckers.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Author Topic: Kickstarter supporters are suckers.  (Read 13020 times)
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: November 20, 2012, 06:27:44 AM »

Christian, a simple though "mechincal" example of how supporting Kickstarter is indirectly bad for other indies.
Kickstarter only supports projects from the US and UK. Hence, the popularity of kickstarter draw the most "high profile" developers into it making it even more popular.

Other developers do not have access to kickstarter, they can only use IndieGoGo but IndieGoGo is less popular and less beneficial to them.

Hence, by suporting projects on Kickstarter you make it more popular which in turn make the other crowd funding websites less relevant.

Master of all trades.
gggfhfdh
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 20, 2012, 06:44:44 AM »

Kickstarter only supports projects from the US and UK. Hence, the popularity of kickstarter draw the most "high profile" developers into it making it even more popular.
ive been staring at this for a few minutes now and i'm almost 100% sure you dont actually know what you're talking about and that you're just placing words together until you have something vaguely resembling sentences
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 20, 2012, 06:57:32 AM »

Canada is supported too
Sorry, I know that nobody gives a fuck about us, I just had to say it

Think happy thoughts.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 20, 2012, 07:15:39 AM »

kickstarter supporters are people like you or i (mostly you though), people with dreams and aspirations for the future. so what if most of those revolve around a fictional games console with a funny name. are they not men? if you kick them, do they not start?
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: November 20, 2012, 07:34:05 AM »

Hence, by suporting projects on Kickstarter you make it more popular which in turn make the other crowd funding websites less relevant.

Except that the facts point to this not being true at all. 16 of the top 18 Indiegogo projects were funded after Kickstarter blew up with the Double Fine Adventure (I only checked the first 18, it could very well be more). All 6 of the top 6 video game projects on Indiegogo were also funded after Kickstarter blew up (again, I only checked the top 6 -- StarForge, Resurrect ADOM development, The Best Asthma Education App in the World, Sword of the Stars: The Pit, CraftStudio, Starship Corporation -- it could very well be more).

So if we actually look at the real world instead of making shit up in our heads, evidence points to Kickstarter's success rubbing off on other crowdfunding sites. Just like the success of the Humble Indie Bundle resulted in bundles in general suddenly becoming a big thing.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: November 20, 2012, 07:48:43 AM »

Are we better with Kickstarter's new huge popularity than we were before Maybe, I am not sure.
Is it a good thing that the most popular crowdfunding website is also available to very few countries? I think not.

It was just an example of how the massive popularity of one thing can also have bad side effects and is not living inside a vacuum.
Perhaps it also did good, but it is possible it is also bad in other ways.

The humble bundle did bring attention to indie games, but it also made it so people don't buy full priced indie games that much anymore. The PC might also be dead for a lot of indie developers nowadays, more than it used to. Unless you go to steam or humble bundle(or kickstarter), not many other options really. (But I am not sure about the PC thing)

I think there are a lot more gatekeeper nowadays than before, and it is a lot less likely to be successful on your own without using the service of one of the gate keepers.

Master of all trades.
gggfhfdh
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 20, 2012, 07:54:42 AM »

Are we better with Kickstarter's new huge popularity than we were before
yes
objectively yes
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: November 20, 2012, 08:02:55 AM »

It was just an example of how the massive popularity of one thing can also have bad side effects and is not living inside a vacuum.

No, it wasn't an example. It was a theory you pulled out of thin air that so far has proved to be absolutely false.

Perhaps it also did good, but it is possible it is also bad in other ways.

A lot of things are possible. It's possible you're a really smart guy, but so far nothing supports that.

Laserbrain Studios
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: November 20, 2012, 08:09:41 AM »

Just look at how IndieGoGo compares to Kickstarter.
And IndieGoGo seems to be in a stalement.

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=kickstarter%2C%20indiegogo&cmpt=q

Master of all trades.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: November 20, 2012, 08:18:59 AM »

Of course Kickstarter is bigger then Indiegogo! It's where everything started and it's serving the largest country economy-wise in the world! Nobody was arguing that Indiegogo was as big as Kickstarter. You were claiming that the success of Kickstarter was having a negative effect on Indiegogo. That's false.

And are you saying Indiegogo is in a stalemate because the graph goes down in the end? So does the Kickstarter graph.

Also, a "kickstarter" has become a general term. People even often use it to describe projects on Indiegogo! So that google data is naturally skewed by that.

Laserbrain Studios
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: November 20, 2012, 08:29:46 AM »

Well, what we see is that the kickstarter success doesn't trickle down to other crowd funding websites like you suggested. It might have a negative effect if as the result of Kickstarter's success IndieGoGo is in a stalement.
One simple thing to see is that usually a team would submit their project to either kickstarter or IndieGoGo but not both. Which means high profile teams will submit their project to Kickstarter and it will cause a self feeding loop.

It's a hard question to ask if we would be better without kickstarter, Maybe without kickstarter there would never be any interest in crowd funding, I am not sure. But what we can see is that Kickstarter's success does not trickle down.

Master of all trades.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: November 20, 2012, 08:36:31 AM »

Well, what we see is that the kickstarter success doesn't trickle down to other crowd funding websites like you suggested.
How does that follow from that data?
I'm sorry to have to tell you but you're terrible at thinking with your brain.

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: November 20, 2012, 09:01:41 AM »

It follows in the sense that there is no correlation between Kickstarter's "popularity" and IndieGoGo's popularity.
If it did trickle down, we should have seen it correlate.

Maybe you are the one who don't know how to use your brain?

Master of all trades.
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 20, 2012, 09:05:18 AM »

It follows in the sense that there is no correlation between Kickstarter's "popularity" and IndieGoGo's popularity.
If it did trickle down, we should have seen it correlate.

Maybe you are the one who don't know how to use your brain?

sorry, I am trying to see both sides here, but there is a correlation that has been proven by people in posts before this. Even your own graph shows a jump in indiegogo's popularity once kickstarter blew up.

Think happy thoughts.
hanako
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: November 20, 2012, 09:09:03 AM »

There is some frustration in seeing people throw more money at the idea of a game than an actual game. Some of the same thing happens on Greenlight, where you see mass waves of interest at titles which are good at marketing and promising the world, while the game itself may not exist or may be drastically not what people expected.

Can be annoying for people who prefer to actually make a game and then try to sell it rather than sell Hopes And Dreams. Smiley
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: November 20, 2012, 09:14:24 AM »

s_l_m, on a global scale, kickstarter has rising by several orders of magnitudes more than IndieGoGo.

So there is either no correlation or very little correlation.

Master of all trades.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: November 20, 2012, 09:16:01 AM »

There is some frustration in seeing people throw more money at the idea of a game than an actual game. Some of the same thing happens on Greenlight, where you see mass waves of interest at titles which are good at marketing and promising the world, while the game itself may not exist or may be drastically not what people expected.

Can be annoying for people who prefer to actually make a game and then try to sell it rather than sell Hopes And Dreams. Smiley

i second this. but this is even wider than kickstarter. most gamers care more about games that are upcoming, being hyped, and not out yet than they care about the games that are actually finished and ready for them to play. kickstarter just allows that difference in sentiment to actually be seen in the marketplace, with the indie games that don't exist now "outselling" the indie games that that do exist

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: November 20, 2012, 09:36:38 AM »

i second this. but this is even wider than kickstarter. most gamers care more about games that are upcoming, being hyped, and not out yet than they care about the games that are actually finished and ready for them to play. kickstarter just allows that difference in sentiment to actually be seen in the marketplace, with the indie games that don't exist now "outselling" the indie games that that do exist

In other words, they're addicted to hype. While there's no reason not to get potential gamers hyped up about a game before it's released, it's a bit different when the game may still not even have a line of code written for it.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 20, 2012, 09:46:55 AM »

i think in a way it'd actually be a "good" thing if there's a huge wave of KS projects failing or turning out to be scams. it could serve a wake up call for backers.

would probably also mean that fewer legit projects get funded though.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: November 20, 2012, 10:07:21 AM »

Yea, I also agree with the notion, just it was phrased a lot better than my jaw breaking arguments.
This is why I said that instead of donating to a kickstarter project, supporters can buy existing games instead.

Master of all trades.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic