Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:39:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralKickstarter supporters are suckers.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Print
Author Topic: Kickstarter supporters are suckers.  (Read 12893 times)
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: November 20, 2012, 10:12:29 AM »

Yea, I also agree with the notion, just it was phrased a lot better than my jaw breaking arguments.

I would replace "Jaw breaking" with "Poorly worded".  I don't know if English isn't your first language or something, but you should try to figure out what you're trying to say a little better first.

This is why I said that instead of donating to a kickstarter project, supporters can buy existing games instead.

Some games just can't or won't happen w/o funding, though.
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 20, 2012, 11:01:53 AM »

I would replace "Jaw breaking" with "Poorly worded".  I don't know if English isn't your first language or something, but you should try to figure out what you're trying to say a little better first.

I think (I obviously cant talk for him, but I think) he meant he kind of went for extreme arguments and phrasing, but like I said, I am not him. Also I think Hebrew is his first language, but in my experience he has alright English (I only know this because I helped a little bit with game testing one of his projects)

Some games just can't or won't happen w/o funding, though.

There are a few games (such as guns of Icarus) that had funding and just did a kickstarter to get publicity, but otherwise the projects on there mostly would not get made if kickstarter didn't exist. I think that everybody needs to keep in mind that fact, that it helps produce art that would not exist otherwise
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 11:35:10 AM by s_l_m » Logged

Think happy thoughts.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: November 20, 2012, 12:06:18 PM »

I would replace "Jaw breaking" with "Poorly worded".  I don't know if English isn't your first language or something, but you should try to figure out what you're trying to say a little better first.

I think (I obviously cant talk for him, but I think) he meant he kind of went for extreme arguments and phrasing, but like I said, I am not him.

Yeah, starting out with a blanket assumption like "Kickstarter supporters are suckers" which could easily be seen as "ALL Kickstarter supporters are suckers", and additionally "ALL Kickstarter projects are looking for suckers" .. isn't a very good idea if you're looking for an unbiased argument.

While I certianly don't have a whole lot of love for Kickstarter projects which are clearly promising too much and can't possibly deliver on their claims, saying the whole site is a scam is a bit much.
rob
Level 8

all 'bout Zumba (absolute pro @ Zumba)

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 20, 2012, 12:28:07 PM »

i like how you guys were arguing over correlation, a completely useless concept.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: November 20, 2012, 12:37:18 PM »

indie game has become a snake oil salesmen business.
It's not necessarily a bad thing if you're a serious dev working hard and quietly on good simple games without listening to the siren song.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic