Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:36:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMicroVentures!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: MicroVentures!  (Read 1666 times)
StudioMu
Level 0

not a cop

View Profile WWW
« on: November 17, 2012, 12:51:40 PM »

Hi, we're Studio Mu (Founded at UC Santa Cruz, now all graduated) and we want you to try out and give feedback on our game MicroVentures!

MicroVentures is a roguelike for Android (and soon for iOS) highly influenced by games like The Binding of Isaac and Desktop Dungeons. Each session consists of a short procedurally-generated adventure, which aims to be a bite-sized heroic experience for a short coffee break or what have you. Bridging these short adventures is a procedural story generator that not only gives some pretty silly insight to the story world, but also shifts the story depending on each adventure's outcome. You play as either a Knight, Wizard, or Rogue, each with different play-styles and personalities. We have six different locations, with over fifty different items and over forty different types of enemies.

If you have an android phone or tablet, try it out and tell us what you think!

Here's a download link:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/47529859/MicroVentures.apk

Our main website:
http://microventuresgame.com

A trailer:

and some screenshots:

« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 01:16:30 PM by StudioMu » Logged

Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 02:41:30 PM »

Looks promising from the screenshots. I'll be sure to try this out later...
Cheezmeister
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 10:47:19 AM »

Quote from: Game Dialog
Merlin's butt, was that the Lich?

Groan...

෴Me෴ @chzmstr | www.luchenlabs.com ቒMadeቓ RA | Nextris | Chromathud   ᙍMakingᙌCheezus II (Devlog)
StudioMu
Level 0

not a cop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 01:14:09 PM »

Groan...

Haha, any critique of our writing would be greatly appreciated as well.

archiboldian
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 12:39:48 PM »

Quote from: Game Dialog
Merlin's butt, was that the Lich?

Groan...

I actually liked that part.  Giggle
Gagege
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 11:31:57 AM »

Looks cool, I wish I could play it! I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S II and I could only see the lower right corner of the game screen. It's like the whole game was shifted up and to the left. I'll try it on my tablet later.

blog
Soli Deo Gloria
StudioMu
Level 0

not a cop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 03:13:54 PM »

Looks cool, I wish I could play it! I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S II and I could only see the lower right corner of the game screen. It's like the whole game was shifted up and to the left. I'll try it on my tablet later.

Thanks for the feedback! We're limited with our test devices, so this is very helpful.

We've been having some weird orientation issues on different Android devices recently since we updated our game's platform (Marmalade). A quickfix when that happens is to start the game with your phone vertical or horizontal for the duration of the initial load. We'll have a real fix ASAP and update our links to a fixed build.

Gagege
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 04:32:15 AM »

I played it on my Transformer Infinity and it ran great! It was fun too.

"Micro" is not an exaggeration. It only took me about 3-5 minutes to finish, but that's okay. I can tell it's meant to be played a few times in one sitting. Also, it seemed very easy. I didn't look to see if there was a difficulty setting but I'm just letting you know that the default was not a challenge at all. Maybe I just got an easy dungeon.

I love the way the power ups and attacks work. The controls were intuitive and discoverable.

One time, some blood-dripping fangs came out of a box and then disappeared. What was that? If there was a message about it, it was overwritten too quickly.

Also, you hid the exit button very well. You should make it more visible and allow the user to exit or go to the menu when they press their back button too.

Android sorely needs more good games. It's the most used phone OS. Why are game developers ignoring it? I don't know. Thank you for making an Android game Smiley

blog
Soli Deo Gloria
StudioMu
Level 0

not a cop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 11:39:45 AM »

"Micro" is not an exaggeration. It only took me about 3-5 minutes to finish, but that's okay. I can tell it's meant to be played a few times in one sitting. Also, it seemed very easy. I didn't look to see if there was a difficulty setting but I'm just letting you know that the default was not a challenge at all. Maybe I just got an easy dungeon.

Yes, we made sure the levels wouldn't take longer than 5 minutes to beat. The first dungeon you get is an easy pre-scripted level to get the player familiar with how the game works. It should be getting tougher after the first few adventures.

One time, some blood-dripping fangs came out of a box and then disappeared. What was that? If there was a message about it, it was overwritten too quickly.

That sounds like you found a generated treasure chest chance room (you either get a common item, or a rare item), and you were showed the item that you did not get from that room. We agree though that those type of rooms need to be better labeled or distinctive.

Also, you hid the exit button very well. You should make it more visible and allow the user to exit or go to the menu when they press their back button too.

Yes, that's should be a given for any game, and we'll be putting that in with our next build push.

Android sorely needs more good games. It's the most used phone OS. Why are game developers ignoring it? I don't know. Thank you for making an Android game Smiley

You're welcome, and thank you for playing! Most of us have Androids, and partly made this game out of frustration for the lack of Android games out there.

Gagege
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 01:13:12 PM »

I had an awesome moment a little while ago. I was looking for a "nuclear sword", you know... for the ladies... anyway, I get to the boss room and before I entered the door I used the YinYang power which switched my place with his. Then I just walked over and grabbed the nuclear sword. I didn't have to fight the boss or use the key. Smiley

blog
Soli Deo Gloria
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 08:24:43 PM »

There's a lack of Android games? Sir, I REALLY think you aren't searching hard enough. I'm always able to find something new to play on my Droid, even with it having less apps than iPod. That said, I've had a lot of fun with this game, and if you finished it (assuming its not already), it probably would be one of the more solid titles for Android.
StudioMu
Level 0

not a cop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 02:07:05 PM »

Hey everybody!

Wanted to let you all know that MicroVentures has been updated and is now available on Google Play and Apple's App Store!  It's 100% free and ad-free so go ahead and download it and let us know what you think! Thanks for all the feedback so far Smiley

Android : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.studiomu.microventures
iOS : https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/microventures/id589994705

Update includes rendering error fixes on some Android devices, some balancing tweaks, story generator enhancements and some bug fixes.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic