Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:56:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsChompston - A procedural musical Pac-Man/Bomberman mashup
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Chompston - A procedural musical Pac-Man/Bomberman mashup  (Read 12009 times)
geepit
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2012, 01:48:11 AM »

Dont know how i've only just seen that video showing off the sounds, looks and sounds awesome! Also really liking the blocky enemies.

As for the passable bombs an idea could be to have it so certain enemies, such as the ghosts, can pass them and others can't, so a mix of the two
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 04:28:07 AM by geepit » Logged
chris_b
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2012, 06:42:25 AM »

As for the passable bombs an idea could be to have it so certain enemies, such as the ghosts, can pass them and others can't, so a mix of the two
Yes! I really like this idea Smiley I'll try it out.
geepit
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2012, 09:20:10 AM »

Yes! I really like this idea Smiley I'll try it out.

Awesome Smiley let me know how it works out
chris_b
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2012, 06:19:26 PM »

Awesome Smiley let me know how it works out

Seems to work pretty well - I like that it adds a bit of variety to the gameplay.

Added some power-ups (extra bomb, increase bomb range, extra heart, increase maximum hearts) and have been adding a few other little details like indicators to mark where a monster will spawn.

I'm at that point where I find it hard to maintain motivation once all the fun of figuring out and implementing new ideas is over - now it's really just a matter of working through a to-do list of fairly simple stuff.
chris_b
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 07:11:26 PM »

A name! and a title screen of sorts:

Not great, but it'll suffice.

Still a couple of little bugs to fix but mainly I just need to make some more music. Not sure whether to keep everything chiptune sounding or not?
DrunkDevs
Level 1

Drink beer and make games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 07:20:48 PM »

I'm at that point where I find it hard to maintain motivation once all the fun of figuring out and implementing new ideas is over - now it's really just a matter of working through a to-do list of fairly simple stuff.
I believe in you. You got past the hardest part, now you just gatta cross the finish line.

Want more Drunk Devs?
DrunkDevs.com / Facebook / Twitter

Current Devlog:
Kegbot
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 07:32:46 PM »

gogogogogogogog!

chris_b
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 05:51:47 PM »

OK, It's done for now - link is in the first post.

There's still only one tune at the moment - maybe I'll add more in the future but I feel like working on other stuffs for a while first. Also I added a toggle in the options to disable music so you can play with just basic sound effects.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 06:31:39 PM »

nice work! the music and visuals work well together. i got to level 5, score 890 Smiley

i have a suggestion for any future updates: make the beginning levels easier, i.e., less narrow corridors and more open space to be able to avoid the monsters.

chris_b
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 06:47:34 PM »

Thanks for checking it out!

As for the early levels - yeah, I wanted the levels to progress from simple to more complex, but the generator can sometimes produce a layout that's a bit unfair.

Actually it's more of a challenge balancing the difficulty than I'd anticipated - I tried giving the monsters pretty good homing AI but it seemed to make the game quite a bit less fun.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2013, 07:28:05 PM »

Yeh I suppose you could have a few pre-built starting levels to make sure the player is eased into it. Still, it's a great little project. Smiley

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2013, 08:31:56 PM »

This looked really cool. I'll have to download it and give it a shot later. Smiley

chris_b
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 09:55:40 AM »

Uploaded a video to YouTube :

nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 05:27:31 AM »

looks great, the music really adds something special.

reminds me of digdug (as in music that plays because you move)
Jupiter_Hadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2013, 06:57:12 PM »

Hey Chris. I made a lets play of your game :3 I really love it!

sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2013, 01:13:24 AM »

Every now and then the music breaks and slows down to a drony crawl for me, though it eventually sets itself rght again. Other than that, this game is great!
chris_b
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2013, 08:43:41 PM »

Hm... what's your OS and system specs? I'm wondering if this is common and it's just not being reported to me.
Leroy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2013, 05:33:32 AM »

Hm... what's your OS and system specs? I'm wondering if this is common and it's just not being reported to me.

I think I've experienced the opposite today, with the music getting so accelerated all of a sudden, that there are no pauses between individual sounds and chimes anymore, just a long drawn-out beeping, sort of. So far this only happened to me on my Vista desktop PC, but quite predictably and often right from the start, in any case I wasn't able to complete one single level before it would happen again. On my Win7 Starter netbook on the other hand I've played through several levels yesterday without any issues.

The system specs of my desktop PC are
- AMD Athtlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4000+ 2.1GHz
- 3 GB RAM
- Win Vista 32-bit
- NVIDIA GeForce6100 nForce 405 (onboard graphics)

(Btw, I registered at this forum just to post this, because I think your game is beautiful and fun. Thanks a lot for sharing it!)  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 05:45:12 AM by Leroy » Logged
chris_b
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2013, 12:58:44 PM »

OK, I've updated the download with a couple of adjustments which might go some way to fixing the audio problems.

Also I've exposed a couple of parameters in the settings.ini file which you can try tweaking:

AudioOutputBufferSize - I increased the default from 50ms to 64ms. Bigger sizes will hopefully fix most issues with stuttering sound, but at the expense of a bigger delay between onscreen events and the corresponding sound effects.

AudioUpdatePeriod - Controls the frequency of how often my sound mixing function is called by the BASS audio library. I'm not really sure what the optimum default value should be... so if anyone who is having audio problems could experiment a bit with this value while leaving the ouput buffer at the default 64ms let me know if it fixes things.
HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2013, 01:56:41 PM »

Cool, why haven't I seen this devlog before, it's amazing!

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic