Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 01:34:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsSportsLiars Dice (Flash) ( FINISHED)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Liars Dice (Flash) ( FINISHED)  (Read 10438 times)
QCPolmer
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2012, 11:10:20 PM »

Liars Dice

Url: http://www.kongregate.com/games/QCPolmer/liars-dice-beta

It is a variation of Liars Dice: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liars_dice

The idea is you can see truth from lies based on the expression of the NPC.

I think the game is finished, but have had no one test it-
 so I'm not really sure if I made it so anyone could make heads or tails of it.  

NOTE:
I think this will qualify as a sport, as card games were on the list of
sports here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports

If this does not qualify, feel free to remove this post.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 06:44:21 PM by QCPolmer » Logged

Mallus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 05:02:53 AM »

There's much interface flashing, and without reading the wikipedia article, it's difficult to figure out what's going on, but congrats, you've completed it! :D  Hand Clap
QCPolmer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 06:57:24 PM »

There's much interface flashing

Yeah, the interface flashed quite a bit... I updated it and cut it back a little.

As far as instructions, I'm still trying to think of a fast way to describe how
to play.

QCPolmer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 06:38:09 PM »

That face looks so familiar.  Reminds me of Funny Face.

Interesting.

The face is (roughly) based on the basic emotions from
the facial action coding system: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facial_Action_Coding_System

as drawn on a tilemap of 8x8 tiles:

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 04:47:11 AM »

This game is quite interesting and I've been quite successful in exposing the lies mostly based on opponent's face. But the time-limit was too short to actually deduce the state of dices.

whilefun
Level 1

Making games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 10:20:50 AM »

But the time-limit was too short to actually deduce the state of dices.

Yes, I agree here. My only nitpick is the "rushed" aspect of it. It didn't give me enough time to look at my dice, look at the dealer guy, and click the button I wanted.

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 01:20:11 PM »

Super asymmetric! How come I only have five dice while the other guy has fifteen? Well, I guess that's the challenge! (Haven't won yet.)

Interface problems: It took me several plays before I realized that that corner at the top was where I was supposed to be looking for the current claim. It took me longer to realize that I was losing dice because I was running out of time each turn. Looks cluttered and unfocused, hard to understand where you should be paying attention. You should probably not be able to see the betting buttons before it's time for that. The status text should be much more prominent and central; in fact, I'd replace that text in the corner with more pop-ups (half of the time the two show redundant information anyway).

Enjoy the Game Boy Tetris-inspired aesthetic, also how rhythmic and fast-paced it feels, totally unlike games of liar's game I've played (a plus for the time limit). Like what you did there with the face expressions and the hands, lends the game plenty of personality.

QCPolmer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 11:23:55 PM »

Super asymmetric! How come I only have five dice while the other guy has fifteen? Well, I guess that's the challenge! (Haven't won yet.)

Interface problems: It took me several plays before I realized that that corner at the top was where I was supposed to be looking for the current claim. It took me longer to realize that I was losing dice because I was running out of time each turn. Looks cluttered and unfocused, hard to understand where you should be paying attention. You should probably not be able to see the betting buttons before it's time for that. The status text should be much more prominent and central; in fact, I'd replace that text in the corner with more pop-ups (half of the time the two show redundant information anyway).

Enjoy the Game Boy Tetris-inspired aesthetic, also how rhythmic and fast-paced it feels, totally unlike games of liar's game I've played (a plus for the time limit). Like what you did there with the face expressions and the hands, lends the game plenty of personality.

With the interface, yeah, I was wondering how playable it would be.
(Which if there is a question about it,
it usually needs work)

In retrospect, I probably should put the most important
information in the pop up text bubbles.
The problem was I designed the pop ups into the game as an
afterthought, and should have designed the interface around them.
(or had a better tutorial at startup,
or had a ripple or something that highlighted the place to focus
the eye).

In fact, I probably could have had the timer and bet buttons in a
pop up...

Also, hiding the betting buttons before they are needed is a good idea.

Oh, but there is a reason for having only six dice.
I wanted the game to be more about reading the npc's expression,
and I found the greater percentage of the dice I had, the more
the game became about counting the dice.

Thanks the feedback, and thanks for playing.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 01:45:48 PM »

The game was a bit frantic at first, but once I realised that the dice were practically irrelevant it became much easier. I just looked at the expression and deduced the answer from that. As others have said there is a lot of flickering in the game which wasn't ideal, but all round a decent effort. Good stuff Hand Thumbs Up Left

arcsin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 03:02:40 PM »

- I tried to play without reading the rules and I enjoyed it.
- after some games I've also started playing without even looking at the dice and from that point on it was easy to get through (I won! I think I played six or seven levels)
- the flashing bet area did not give me so much trouble
- I also think that the Game Boy monochrome UI is well crafted, however, I do not like the clock rectangle which invades the main play area.
- nice game, good job!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic