SwapQuest is a puzzle-rpg that combines the depth of traditional rpg's like Dragon Quest with easy-to-learn puzzle mechanics similar to those classic Pipes games.
, you play as Prince Wilbert or Princess Wilma to find the holy sword Sturmwind in order to defend the kingdom from the Evil Horde that has invaded the land.
You as the player have to guide the royal hero through the maze of roads that lie before him/her. Swap road tiles around to build new paths that lead to treasure chests, fearsome monsters or some of the many items you can find throughout your adventure.SwapQuest will be released for iOS, Android and Windows Phone in early 2014.
So far, the game has a working engine with the first two levels complete. But there are many elements from classic rpgs that still have to be implemented.
Check out the trailer!What's left to do:
What's already finished:
- 10 to 12 levels, each with their own mechanics, objects and enemies
- 5 to 6 boss fights
- 4 classes, as the player will be able to choose a class at the beginning of the game
- Over 20 abilities that you can learn with the various classes
- An overworld map where you traverse to the different levels, with several branches where you have to decide where to go next
- A caravan hub, where you can buy items, upgrade abilities or chat with NPCs between the levels
- A NewGame+ that has harder enemies and allows you to see the levels you didn't play before
- The engine that allows swapping, level progression, combat, interaction with various objects and much more
- The first two levels
Right now there are three guys working on this, André Weiss, a very talented composer (listen to the music in the trailer!), Jussi Simpanen, an absolute genius when it comes to pixel art, and me, the concept/coding guy.
We hope you like the game so far and I will try to keep this devlog up to date throughout the upcoming months. For smaller updates and news, like us on Facebook