Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 01:08:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNadia was here, retro RPG [Just released]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Nadia was here, retro RPG [Just released]  (Read 29494 times)
JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: November 24, 2012, 02:34:09 PM »

Nadia was here

Well, it happened! After more than 5 years, Nadia Was Here is finally out on steam![/b]
http://store.steampowered.com/app/436070/Nadia_Was_Here/

Please help me spread the word! I would really appreciate it!

Trailer

You can also follow the game on Twitter

Story (99%)
This is not the first time this is happening.

A mage driven by guilt. Will any of his good deeds ever truly redeem him in his own eyes?
A warrior that lives in the past, will he ever be able to accept that he's not who he used to be?
A thief born in poverty, will she ever be worth something?

Three 'heroes' set out on a journey to prevent time from starting over again.
But will it solve their problems?

The story at it's core is about the worth of life when the world will eventually forget you.

Game design (100%)

-Battle system (100%)/ Battles(100%)

My main focus for the game is to have a fun and varied battle system. The battle system is a bit of a mix between an active time battle system and a time management game.

Characters only target the enemies opposite of them, and enemies only target characters opposite of them in return. The position and moves of the characters can be changed in real-time, and the characters will automatically perform those moves once the charge time needed for that move has been reached.

The game will have a set amount of battles. The only way to increase stats permanently is by using equipment, but even then stat growth is very limited. The main way to defeat more difficult enemies is to learn new skills and use those tactically. Not a single skill will ever be useless or outclassed by another, and not every skill will be useful for every battle.

Character development happens mostly during battles. The mage can only learn new skills by studying enemies, and the thief only by stealing new weapons. The warrior is the exception. He only has a normal attack but is able to learn passive abilities trough artifacts found in dungeons.    

-Dungeon design (100%)

I plan on having puzzle centric dungeons with of course some exploration. There are no random battles and not many enemies per dungeon so there is no reason to make the dungeons unnecesarily long.

Graphics (100%)
I'm using the same 16 color palette for the entire game.

Sound (100%)
All tracks have been finished. Most sound effects are also done.
Listen to the music here

Programming (100%)
Most of the battle system, learning new skills, gaining new items, moving around, saving, dialogue boxes etc. are all finished.
Things like the individual skills, items, abilities etc. are also finished. What's left is fixing bugs, basicly.

Testing (90%)  

« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 03:20:53 AM by JaJ » Logged

gejben
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 02:40:40 PM »

I think the story sounds like every Final Fantasy game (at least the ones I've played). It can still be a good story but will probably not feel unique in any way.

"The mage can only learn new skills by studying enemies, and the thief only by stealing new weapons" I like this mechanic, if well implemented I think it can be quite good and fun. Hopefully it's something that feels fun through all the game, and not just the first time you do it.

My Bolg,with updates of what I'm working on
impulse9
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 02:40:51 PM »

Ohhh sweet colors!
JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 03:07:51 PM »

I think the story sounds like every Final Fantasy game (at least the ones I've played). It can still be a good story but will probably not feel unique in any way.
You're completely right. Those first two lines describe every rpg I have ever played. I don't really know how to say more without giving everything away. But let's just say that the scale of the quest starts as big and epic as any RPG, and will slowly develop into something more nuanced, until the game ends in a way that is more original than you'd expect.

Then again the list of RPG's I've played isn't that long.

"The mage can only learn new skills by studying enemies, and the thief only by stealing new weapons" I like this mechanic, if well implemented I think it can be quite good and fun. Hopefully it's something that feels fun through all the game, and not just the first time you do it.
I think that all depends on if the skills are worth getting or not and really bring something new to the table. Since every skill is truly different from every other, I hope that will be the case. (Example, there will not be a cure 1 and a cure 2, where cure 2 heals the same way as cure 1 but better. However there will be multiple healing spells(3), but they will heal more based on different factors)

Ohhh sweet colors!
Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 03:13:03 PM by JaJ » Logged

gejben
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 03:52:07 PM »

I'm looking forward to seeing how that mechanic works and what factors plays a role for the skills/spells. I agree with impulse9 on the colors, looks great, and the music is nice too Smiley

My Bolg,with updates of what I'm working on
Sergi
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 11:08:36 PM »

I really like the limited palette there, it has this unique look, it's beautiful. It reminds me of my old high school text books that only had orange and blue as colors.

About the story, I hope there's more than what you've shared, there should be something unique about this to make it stand out. You sound like you have your story figured out and didn't share it, so I hope it's cool Smiley

tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 03:47:11 AM »

Great palette and good gameplay ideas. I'm looking forward for more of this.

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 04:02:04 AM »

Thank you! I'm working hard on a demo, but I think it might take a while. I think before the end of the year is a good deadline? I'll do my best.

About the story, I hope there's more than what you've shared, there should be something unique about this to make it stand out. You sound like you have your story figured out and didn't share it, so I hope it's cool

I updated the story a little. It still doesn't give much away, but I think it gives a better image of the mood of the story, perhaps.

Also, summons:

tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 04:43:55 AM »

Thank you! I'm working hard on a demo, but I think it might take a while. I think before the end of the year is a good deadline? I'll do my best.

About the story, I hope there's more than what you've shared, there should be something unique about this to make it stand out. You sound like you have your story figured out and didn't share it, so I hope it's cool

I updated the story a little. It still doesn't give much away, but I think it gives a better image of the mood of the story, perhaps.

Well having a deadline is a good thing, and whenever you set it is up to you, depending on how much you want to show in that demo, but I think having a prototype as soon as possible will help you to see which direction you're going.
Also the updated story sounds promising, keep up the good work!  Beer!

poe
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 11:17:11 AM »

This looks good, I'll be keeping an eye on it!
Boud
Level 0

They try to kill ya everytime...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 02:30:04 PM »

Well it looks like a random RPG from a far, but having a warrior who's getting old (i love that theme), a wizard with sins, i suppose we can expect something more than the typical 4 lines RPG plot. I love the colors/style you've chosen, I shall follow this as well (so many great RPGs here on TIG !)
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 02:39:28 PM »

I love the colors and the mechanic sounds like interesting, and could lead to some cool tactics.

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 01:19:04 PM »

Today I tried to compose a theme song for the old warrior. I wanted it to sound like something that wants to be epic and heroic but never quite gets there. There are some conflicting rythms in the song that drag down what could have been a perfect warrior theme, and that's the point. (It's still pretty upbeat though)

Listen to it here

I also looked into ogmo editor today since the gamemaker room editor isn't really that great with layers. So far it seems like a good option.  

7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 01:50:29 PM »

I'm liking it! The art is really good and the music too, I'm listening to it now :3

Boud
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 01:53:21 PM »

I like the music but I'm not so sure about the "something that wants to be epic and heroic but never quite gets there."
JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 02:03:03 PM »

I like the music but I'm not so sure about the "something that wants to be epic and heroic but never quite gets there."

I have to listen to it again tomorrow. It doesn't sound epic or heroic to me but it does sound too... competent?

The warrior isn't a useless character though, especially not in the beginning. I think I'll get a better image once I'm writing key warrior dialogues with this in the background.

Boud
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 02:06:22 PM »

It's kinda hard to convey such conflicting themes anyway, I really don't know how you could do it while keeping a coherent track/piece of music... Hmm I'm tired and no composer so feel free to ignore this Smiley
Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 03:34:51 PM »

When it comes to classic style RPG's im a huge fan of the "sterotypical" stuff. All the best RPG's ive ever played all have pretty much the same story (even final fantasy 7's story moves along the standard paths)

Ive played too many RPG's that try and be unusual and they never compare, there is something awesome about the familiarity in RPG's and i think mixing it up too much can be damaging.

This is looking and sounding awesome! hope to see plenty of updates!

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 02:51:22 AM »

Ive played too many RPG's that try and be unusual and they never compare

Do you have examples of RPG's that try to be unusual and fail to compare in your opinion? It's nice to know the pitfalls.

I don't think there is a high risk of the story being too unusual. But I do hope it'll feel at least a bit different. My main inspirations are all of the more 'standard' variaty, though.

Talking about inspirations, here they are:

Battle system ->                     Final Fantasy 13, Chrono Trigger, and Sin and Punishment (for the 'energy').
Character development ->     Final Fantasy 5
World Design and puzzles -> Golden Sun
Music ->                                  Final Fantasy (all), Golden Sun, Chrono trigger, Phillip Glass
Story ->                                  Final Fantasy 4 and Chrono trigger.

And with inspirations I mean 'striving to be as good as' not 'doing it the same way.'

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 04:36:24 AM »

Alot  may disagree with me here but ill list a few RPGs that I feel are not great because they tried too hard to change the genre...

Final fantasy 11 - The rubbish battle system ruined it for me, it was just not the same.
Final Fanasty 13 (the newest one) - Again the battle system was not great, lvl up system was poor, story was stupid, it was far to linear.
Eternal Sonata - Way too Linear, too story driven, didnt make much sense.
Last Remenant - Poor in almost everyway!
Enchanted Arms - just rubbish in everyway!

Dont get me wrong when i say unusual, i just feel that classic rpg's follow a formula, by all means change stuff, it can be awesome, but i think i can also be dangerous.

by the look of where you are drawing inspiration, i can tell this is going to be great. I didnt much like final fantasy 13's battle system though, it was way to automated.

Please dont think i was slamming your game, its actually the opposite, i think it looks and sounds awesome, its just nice to see a traditional RPG being made and i want to play it!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic