Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:13:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNadia was here, retro RPG [Just released]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Nadia was here, retro RPG [Just released]  (Read 29809 times)
JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2013, 12:58:23 PM »

Today I worked on some some songs and two tilesets.

DrunkDevs
Level 1

Drink beer and make games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2013, 04:24:30 PM »

Ooh. Does this mean we will have villages to explore? Love the video updates btw.

Want more Drunk Devs?
DrunkDevs.com / Facebook / Twitter

Current Devlog:
Kegbot
JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2013, 11:53:25 AM »

Thank you! Yes the game will have 7 villages. I don't know yet how exploration-heavy they are going to be though. Their main function is to provide backstory, but of course there will be hidden items and stuff.

I'm also playing with the idea of making it so that each village has area speciffic items, and not necesarily have the "best" items in the last village you visit.

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2013, 10:42:52 AM »

Working on the character portraits.

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2013, 07:49:43 AM »

Working on the prison area.

Alex Higgins
Level 2

@alchiggins on Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2013, 11:19:36 AM »

I love the colors. Looking forward to this.

My Dev Blog! >  Sassy Echidna Software
WIP >  Monsterpunk
Latest Game >  Bloodjak
JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2013, 01:20:55 PM »

I love the colors. Looking forward to this.

Thank you!

Turns out I'm still only about a day behind on schedule. If everyone keeps going the way it is going now, I think I'll be able to finish a demo in april as planned.

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2013, 08:55:20 AM »

I'm working on the tileset for the inn.

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2013, 12:21:01 PM »

I've been working on menus for the last week.

Equipment:

Shop:

I think a demo should be finished within two weeks now.

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2013, 11:16:53 AM »

I decided to add another area to the upcoming demo, which is why I didn't get it done when I said I would. I think the demo will give a better impression of what I want the game to be like as a result.

Almost done!

siskavard
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2013, 03:30:57 PM »

I really love the color palette you're using.
Kit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2013, 08:25:03 AM »

Oh yea, I agree with the color pallete. It's fantastic. A lot of fairly complementary colors, it really makes it pop and look appealing despite the colors being a bit unusual. But I mean unusual in a good way.

Nemekos
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2013, 09:29:06 AM »

I must say this is a beautiful game! Keep up the good work.
JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2013, 11:09:49 PM »

Thanks so much! To be honest I don't think 'm a good artist at all, but picking interesting colors has always been something I felt I was relatively good at, so It's really nice to hear that!

Alex Higgins
Level 2

@alchiggins on Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2013, 06:23:22 PM »

Thanks so much! To be honest I don't think 'm a good artist at all, but picking interesting colors has always been something I felt I was relatively good at, so It's really nice to hear that!

Give yourself some credit! Strictly speaking, it's not the absolute best pixel art on a technical level (compared to something like this), but especially given the style you're working with, I think that it looks really, really good. You obviously know what you're doing. For example, the portraits are expressive, and the wall tiles in the inn look really, really nice and successfully create an illusion of depth.

My Dev Blog! >  Sassy Echidna Software
WIP >  Monsterpunk
Latest Game >  Bloodjak
JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2013, 12:40:06 PM »

Well, it took me a while but there it is:
Demo

I've allowed myself to increase the percentage to 20% finished. I think I've already been beyond that for a while now, but as far as content goes, this demo is probably about 10% of the full game, if not less.

siskavard
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2013, 12:46:56 PM »

Hey there - when I click the exe, it prompts me to open a file.

Im on windows 7
siskavard
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2013, 12:50:26 PM »

Ok, you just have to open the data.win file. My mistake! It's working now. I'll give a spin and give you some backfeed.
siskavard
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2013, 09:36:09 AM »

Gave this a play-through. I've got to tell you how impressively nostalgic this game feels, yet it feels like a new, unique experience. The color choices you've picked for the world give it a really specific feeling that I'm really enjoying. That coupled with the awesome music, it's really feeling well rounded already.

The story is engaging & stayed interesting without getting too 'wordy'

My only gripe at this point is that the transition to new rooms / areas is disorienting. You should have some sort of transition effect. Seeing as this is a demo, I imagine you just haven't implemented that yet.

Great work, hope to see more development!!
JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2013, 10:42:36 AM »

Thanks! That means a lot to me!

You give me too much credit regarding the room transition thing. Eventually I would probably have thought about it, yes, but to be honest I hadn't thought about it yet. The scope of this game is so big that I sometimes miss obvious things.

I love that you mention the mixture of nostalgia and a new experience. I feel that games in the NES era had to try harder to seperate themselves from other titles in the same genre gameplay-wise. And I wonder what would have been created if that time had lasted (even) longer, and how that would have affected the titles we have now. Anyway, this is how I would have made an rpg*.

I'm glad you didn't think the demo was too wordy. It was a fear of mine that it would be, and I'm really glad you like the music!

*I realise that I didn't use colors of any palette of that time but still, I've only used 16 colors total so I guess that places it in between NES and SNES in style? I'm not a purist. I'm breaking all the 'rules' to get the feeling I want.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 10:48:42 AM by JaJ » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic