Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1056426 Posts in 42902 Topics- by 34854 Members - Latest Member: Columbus007

October 23, 2014, 07:08:47 AM
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperCreativeDesignGoogle Map controls for touch screens (mobile/tablet)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Google Map controls for touch screens (mobile/tablet)  (Read 525 times)
Blink
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: November 25, 2012, 09:22:42 PM »

Today I finally played with one of these really nice, kindle sized, Samsung Android tablets. Navigating a webpage has never felt better, and the sense of space and freedom was amazing. Eventually, I want to bring my current game, a wip 3d platformer, over to these devices - and now I'm considering a style like this where you move the ground under the character as if it's the earth in Google maps, only it would translate to directional movement commands for the player really (but it would feel like you were moving the ground). I'd love to try examples first though if anyone knows of any. Have you guys seen something like this before in touch screen games?
Muz
Level 10

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 07:49:48 AM »

I thought that was the default way to navigate in touchphone games.. drag the ground around?
Blink
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 11:32:47 PM »

In Zenonia, virtual joystick. In Sword & Sworcery, it's a point and click adventure. In Angry Birds, only the camera moves this way.

So my thoughts are, take the Angry Birds camera, lock it to the player in Zenonia, and move by dragging the ground underneath you. I have not seen this in touch/mobile games yet, just a lot of virtual buttons, joysticks, and d-pads.
Muz
Level 10

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 12:04:04 AM »

Yeah, and probably the main reason a simple game like Angry Birds or Fruit Ninja gets so much more better play time than 'superior games' with touchpads is because they're comfortable and intuitive to play.

People like to complain why Angry Birds is rated so highly, but it's simple - Angry Birds is not painful to play.

I'm pretty vocal on stuff like this. People should stop bringing handheld console design into touchphones. Clicking is tolerable, with a lot of conditions. But keypads/joysticks are a major sin. Until the technology comes where you can feel buttons on a touchpad, you probably shouldn't use them. That said, people will still play and buy those games, but it detracts too much from the fun.

IIRC, Majesty does it. Great Big War Game does it. Most games avoid scrolling it seems, and prefer to center the screen on something.
Blink
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 11:38:49 AM »

I have found that this convenience factor is also the reason tablets work so well. They're just easier to use for casual applications.

Majesty and Great Big War Game act a lot more like Angry Birds, the camera is independent of any character. Definitely on the right track though - but their camera to what I'm seeking is like Warhammer to D&D. I'm looking for something where the camera is locked to one character for the whole game, and scrolling moves not only the camera but the character as well.

Maybe I'll have to make a rough prototype or something to explain it better. For now though: Imagine the Diablo camera with the Majesty/Angry Birds/Great Big War Game camera controls... so camera is always centered on player, but scrolling moves the camera (and as such, the player)
theRaddRedd
Level 0

jump'n'shoot-man

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 05:33:42 PM »

At first I was going to object, but after you explained it a bit further, I think it sounds like a good idea as long as the camera rotation is static. I'd love to see a prototype if you do one  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley

Dropped everything to go full-time.<br />Twitter:@EthanRedd<br />www.gotenrg.com
ethanredd.tumblr.com
Muz
Level 10

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 08:02:53 AM »

Ah, I see. Actually, that seems like a much better way to do it than keypads and stuff.

Maybe a space invader type game would be good to test it on. A game that does require fine control, and it's also a little intuitive with flying games that pushing forwards makes it move backwards, etc. And something like tapping with a second finger makes it shoot stuff.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic