Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1026092 Posts in 41124 Topics- by 32721 Members - Latest Member: bloodmoney0006

July 23, 2014, 06:09:50 PM
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessWhat is your elevator pitch?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: What is your elevator pitch?  (Read 5470 times)
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2013, 05:15:01 PM »

I'm assuming you want something on a website or something. Normally you want something memorable, that demonstrates the uniqueness of your game and its strengths. Normally it's a good idea to focus on the aesthetic - the experience of playing - not the mechanic itself - depends on how savvy the audience is.

First-person shooter. Everyone knows what that is. Turn-based combat. Same thing. Twin-stick: same. Parcour platforming, okay. Open-world, yes. Rogue-like, yes. Level system? Too generic. "Fight?" Too generic. Combat: same.

Imagine a pie of your game. Think of two pies. You have the experience pie, and the mechanics pie. Let's do Mario.

Mechanics:
  . platformer - but let's assume this term doesn't exist
  . run and jump
  . powerups, levels, bosses, challenges

^^ Generic. Try:
  . twitch platforming
  . air control, momentum
  . simple combat

"Aesthetics":
  . silly, fun, playful
  . serious, rich, difficulty
  . impulsive, expressive.

Possibility:
  Take two from each:
    . A difficult and playful twitch platformer, with a focus on momentum and air control.
  One from each:
    . An expressive twitch platformer.

Throw in character:
  . Mario tries to save peach. Is a plumber.
  . fight determined and simple goombas, aloof and silly koopas
  . get big, throw fire, and dodge bullets

Play as Mario, in a silly world, navigating the diverse challenges presented by aloof and simple-minded enemies. Express your platforming skills, impulsively, in the air or on the ground. Die and try again. Hold on to a powerup this time. Use your size to your advantage. Master your own momentum and save the princess from Bowser.

In this example I mention:
  . characters: Mario, princess, bowser
  . context: the silliness of the world, the personality of the enemies
  . key mechanics: platforming, and 3 qualities of it: impulsive, air-control, momentum
  . challenge (3 times): "challenges," "die and try again," "master"
  . powerups (2 times): that they exist, that size is one of them

Also notice how I structure it:
  . the challenge is talked about 3 times, once at the beginning, middle, end
  . characters are mentioned twice: beginning, end
  . key mechanic mentioned twice: middle, end
  . beginning is more aesthetics focused. I hook with the experience of playing Mario, hint at the mechanics, then in the second sentence discuss them directly. usually you want to hook with the experience of playing, then justify why that experience will be what it is, and what details go with that.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 05:42:06 PM by Graham. » Logged
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2013, 05:33:47 PM »

Note. With the pies you are looking for balanced representation. If you have a pie chart that represents the mechanics of your game, and you can use a single phrase for each third of the pie, what 3 phrases would you choose so your pie chart is most evenly divided, and each phrase is as good a representation of the contents it represents as it can be?

Skyrim aesthetics:
  . hundreds of characters
  . hundreds of diverse locations
  . hundreds of quests

Is this good? No. I don't mention the combat, or the type of story, or the richness of the visual world. The music is good and atmospheric. How about:
  . hundreds of characters, locations, and quests (diversity, scale, player-choice)
  . richly detailed environments that make a believable world (visual scale, quality, diversity, though content type not mentioned)
  . many possible character types, presented through a comprehensive leveling system (rpg, play-type diversity)

I don't mention combat, or the types of spells, or the treasure, or the kinds of playtypes. So try:
  . many things to do
  . rich environments to explore ("explore" key word)
  . expressive combat and leveling system ("expressive" helps solve the ability diversity question, which is similar to the ability type question)

Now we are starting to cover our bases. We would use more descriptive sentences, but these give us an easy way to think about the problem at hand. ... Follow this system:
  1. Describe your pie by dividing it into minimum 3 sections.
  2. Remove a single description. Imagine if your game lost that quality. How much worse would it be? *
  3. Try a different set of 3 descriptions. Remove one, like in step 2. Is the resulting implied game worse than the previously implied game? Which set of 2 pie pieces is the worse game?
  4. The worse game indicates the worse pie. Keep trying divisions until you can't come up with a better pie.

* Remove the "biggest" pie piece.

This pattern is complex, but if you study it you can see how to determine how good your pie division is. Make some pies, your game descriptions should start to flow out of you. Note, this process is healthy for your game anyway. The "make a pitch" challenge tests your knowledge of your own game's strengths, forcing you to come to terms with them. Often when going through this process product developers will realize what parts of their game really matter and what ones do not.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 06:25:29 PM by Graham. » Logged
lolo
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2013, 08:39:04 AM »

I like your systematic approach, will take a shot at it.

McDROID he had a farm ee-eye, ee-eye-oh.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2013, 09:17:02 AM »

same, thanks for the pointers, left me thinking

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2013, 12:36:33 PM »

Thanks. Yeah systems are better than nothing, unless you just have some strong instinct.
Gimym JIMBERT
Level 10

Feminism is back!

View Profile Email
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2013, 01:17:02 PM »

You finally had embraced the structural ways

ILLOGICAL, random guy on internet, do not trust (lelebĉcülo dum borobürükiss)
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2013, 01:24:46 PM »

Dude. You never understood. I am as structured as they come. I program for a living. You always had it backwards.

One day you'll see my work, and when that day comes I think a lot of things will click for you, regarding our previous discussions. Though those discussions were stimulating regardless. Thank you. Tongue.
JigxorAndy
Level 6

Working on Dungeon Dashers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2013, 03:54:42 AM »

That's a really awesome approach Graham. I just referred someone to your post to help them out with writing a blurb for their game's website.

Twitter / Dungeon Dashers: Website / Steam Store
ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2013, 11:54:43 AM »

i tend to think elevator pitches are less important nowadays because of the proliferation of youtube trailers. it's easier to just embed a trailer of your game on your site than write a few sentences about it; most people visiting the site will skip the sentences anyway

however, this is what eva has written for SD's website right now:

one-sentence
Save your friends. Save your enemies. Save yourself.

one-paragraph
Saturated Dreamers is an open-world adventure game set on Lake, a sentient ice planet that holds many secrets from expeditionists Mercedes and co. Players assume control of the Leda, a ship equipped with unique gadgets that can be used to solve puzzles, befriend creatures, and purify Lake's waters.

looking over it now, expeditionists kind if is too easily mistaken for exhibitionists tho, so it's probably not the best word to use there, but this isn't final

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2013, 02:06:53 PM »

The elevator pitch was always meant as more of an exercise than something directly practical. If you had one day to live what would you do? Not so that when the day comes you'll be prepared, but so you'll know what to do when you have many days. Exercise. Not practical, only sometimes. Exercise.
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2013, 02:19:45 AM »

I'm pretty happy with my elevato pish but I'll post it here in case anyone think it needs work;

It might be a bit long?

Kingdoms Rise is a multiplayer sword fighting game, aiming to create tense and strategic sword encounters and to let players become their ideal fantasy warrior. Using customization of spells, weapons and armor player can trail their loud-outs by combat and rise through the ranks of competitive play.

Lynx
Level 5

Upstart Feline Miscreant

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2013, 04:59:24 PM »

i tend to think elevator pitches are less important nowadays because of the proliferation of youtube trailers. it's easier to just embed a trailer of your game on your site than write a few sentences about it; most people visiting the site will skip the sentences anyway

however, this is what eva has written for SD's website right now:

one-sentence
Save your friends. Save your enemies. Save yourself.

one-paragraph
Saturated Dreamers is an open-world adventure game set on Lake, a sentient ice planet that holds many secrets from expeditionists Mercedes and co. Players assume control of the Leda, a ship equipped with unique gadgets that can be used to solve puzzles, befriend creatures, and purify Lake's waters.

looking over it now, expeditionists kind if is too easily mistaken for exhibitionists tho, so it's probably not the best word to use there, but this isn't final

I think the elevator pitch is still important because you need to get people to click on the trailer in the first place.

Immortal Defense's one line summary doesn't describe the game at all, and would not make a reasonable elevator pitch, either to investors or prospective players.

I agree that 'expeditionist' reads oddly.  It's a legitimate but little-used word.  I'd say 'Mercedes and her expedition'.  Also, when pitching at players, using 'you' rather than 'players' may be more engaging.

Currently developing dot sneak - a minimalist stealth game
airman4
Level 5

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2013, 01:58:38 AM »

Cool thread
I have to re-work on my pitch of star and light 1.0
It seems very bad haha

Thanks Gymim for the head-up

The generic info of star and light , my first true game
Star and light 1.0 : The Red sacrifice is a puzzle flash game with a zest of adventure and action

Play as Adhara and resolve the deathlight puzzles of the Old abandoned Olorun Temple.
Star and light features more than 28 secret achivements , a new game+, Mini-games ,
a gameplay with a story and cut scenes/dialogues ,a secret dungeon to unlock etc.

Currently working on Malaika princess http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30415 BUY Star and Light ! here http://airman4.itch.io/star-and-light-10
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic