Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:25:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Curious Expedition
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 32
Print
Author Topic: The Curious Expedition  (Read 187381 times)
GeoffW
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #380 on: January 12, 2014, 03:07:31 AM »

Looking good!

Your #femcrunch was an excellent idea, I hope it inspires others to make more inclusive games.

qwertyhim513
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 18, 2014, 12:05:43 PM »

It looks epic! I do have one question, what are the requirements for a famous person in history to be added.Cough.DaVinc.Cough.Shakespeare. Cough.

:D Can't wait for it to be finish.
AF
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 22, 2014, 05:56:28 AM »

Posted by: qwertyhim513
...what are the requirements for a famous person in history to be added.Cough.DaVinc.Cough.Shakespeare. Cough.

The developers were targeting a certain time period. (late 1800s - early 1900s?) Shakespeare and Da Vinci would make great characters, but lived before that target era.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #383 on: January 22, 2014, 03:20:56 PM »

those portraits are mad!

My Word!

Vanhail
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 23, 2014, 06:47:19 AM »

Loving the vibe of this game. I've got a soft spot for dinosaurs.

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #385 on: January 29, 2014, 01:59:00 AM »

Some small updates:

• We increased the size of our tiles slightly
  • We added a new effect when uncovering new tiles
  • Added a XP Bonus system. The more tiles you uncover in one go, the more you build up towards an XP bonus
  • Added a far-sight distance that uncovers field-types to make your traveling better plannable - however, you won't see objects (villages etc) until you really uncover the tile
  • There is a preview of what kind of object (e.g. a village / mission, treasure spot) can be found in a certain region, without a specific knowledge as to where exactly it is

A small travel gameplay video showing the new tile size and uncovering effect:

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #386 on: January 29, 2014, 02:05:50 AM »

Looking great!

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #387 on: January 29, 2014, 03:19:18 AM »

Not sure how I missed this. - Subscribed

CobraMode
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 31, 2014, 08:00:14 AM »

Love the theme of this game. I came across an image which made me think of your game today.
http://synthezoide.deviantart.com/art/Constance-s-flight-309641640

Good job! Keep it up!

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #389 on: January 31, 2014, 08:05:03 AM »

Thanks for the link, that is indeed a very nice picture.

Gentleman

However, even though it's really hard, we don't want to be a steampunk game. There are already enough of those :-)

CobraMode
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: January 31, 2014, 10:48:32 AM »

Fair enough, but can you at least include a flying Rishi dude? Wink
In seriousness though, I'm happy you're not going too steampunk with it. The setting is all the more special for sticking closer to your historical 'guns.'

Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #391 on: January 31, 2014, 12:10:54 PM »

This. Is. Brilliant.

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #392 on: January 31, 2014, 01:35:03 PM »

There is a preview of what kind of object (e.g. a village / mission, treasure spot) can be found in a certain region, without a specific knowledge as to where exactly it is

I think this is a very nice idea, and something I want to implement for URR. The kind of thing you'd get if you'd talked to travelers, or other explorers, who knew there was [Thing] roughly in [Direction], but didn't know (or hadn't been able to record) its exact location. One other thought - I'm planning to have maps as actual items you can collect and they will fill in a part of the world map, but you won't know which part of the world map they've filled in, beyond a general direction. Are you thinking of having anything similar, like maps from past explorers which might fill in small areas of the unknown, etc?

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #393 on: January 31, 2014, 01:57:35 PM »

There is a preview of what kind of object (e.g. a village / mission, treasure spot) can be found in a certain region, without a specific knowledge as to where exactly it is

I think this is a very nice idea, and something I want to implement for URR. The kind of thing you'd get if you'd talked to travelers, or other explorers, who knew there was [Thing] roughly in [Direction], but didn't know (or hadn't been able to record) its exact location. One other thought - I'm planning to have maps as actual items you can collect and they will fill in a part of the world map, but you won't know which part of the world map they've filled in, beyond a general direction. Are you thinking of having anything similar, like maps from past explorers which might fill in small areas of the unknown, etc?

Yes, we have had a lot of different attempts at conveying this kind of "imperfect" information about areas of the world. What you see in the animated gif is the latest, and so far best working approach, considering the other elements of the game such as the general structure of the world and what role the indicated objects have for gameplay.

Concerning the maps, yes, we tossed around the idea of having maps. But I think the way we envisioned them would be more into the traditional treasure-map direction, with "dig between the 3 mountains which are surrounded by jungle and river fiels" kind of thing. However, this has not been taking beyond the pure "hey that would be neat" phase just yet :-)

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #394 on: February 01, 2014, 08:45:22 AM »

Current state of the Biome types:

makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #395 on: February 01, 2014, 10:38:12 AM »

Do want!

Makerimages-Its in the pixel
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 01, 2014, 10:39:33 AM »

Just out of curiosity Smiley how are those fantastic elements like dinosaurs and prehistoric areas introduced storywise? Are they known part of the world, is there time travelling involved or are these prehistoric creatures simply endemic to mysterious, isolated regions discovered by the player?
GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #397 on: February 01, 2014, 04:55:12 PM »

beautiful!

Jaysen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #398 on: February 03, 2014, 08:55:19 AM »

Loving the game idea and the pixel style! Looks pretty epic so far, keep it coming!

Battle Brothers - A gritty turn based RPG
- Developers Blog - Facebook- Twitter
claudiovc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 06, 2014, 03:55:30 AM »

The biomes look great! One thing I noticed is that the rocks are the same for all of them. Are you going to make different rock formations for each one? =]
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 32
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic