Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 03:50:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Curious Expedition
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 32
Print
Author Topic: The Curious Expedition  (Read 188014 times)
knaw315
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: October 31, 2014, 07:45:26 PM »

Its not that we're trying to make a controversial game, but we accept that aspect of the setting and want to approach it consciously instead of completely side-stepping it.

Why not make a controversial game?  I was just playing Fallout 3 not too long ago; the game where you can go around enslaving people as part of a quest, blow up an entire town, or even make a small boy cry by lying to him (tell him his parents are getting a divorce because of him).  I like games that make you feel bad about what you've done or let you play the villain.  Here are some suggestions for making your game a little darker:

1) How about having a random encounter where you run into the children of the parents you've enslaved and having them beg the player to release their parents?
2) How about after visiting a village you come back and find that you've infected them all with some horrible disease?
3) How about tricking tribes into fighting each other so you can take advantage of the chaos?
4) How about making characters who respond in a sexist manner when they meet your female expedition leader?
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #501 on: November 01, 2014, 05:39:33 AM »

This looks cool. I'm gonna have to go back and read more

b4ux1t3
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: November 01, 2014, 10:25:10 PM »

So, I signed up for an account her (after just reading for several years) just so I could express my deep interest in this game. I'm really looking forward to it.
quixotic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: November 03, 2014, 04:57:16 AM »

Its not that we're trying to make a controversial game, but we accept that aspect of the setting and want to approach it consciously instead of completely side-stepping it.

Why not make a controversial game?  I was just playing Fallout 3 not too long ago; the game where you can go around enslaving people as part of a quest, blow up an entire town, or even make a small boy cry by lying to him (tell him his parents are getting a divorce because of him).  I like games that make you feel bad about what you've done or let you play the villain.  Here are some suggestions for making your game a little darker:

1) How about having a random encounter where you run into the children of the parents you've enslaved and having them beg the player to release their parents?
2) How about after visiting a village you come back and find that you've infected them all with some horrible disease?
3) How about tricking tribes into fighting each other so you can take advantage of the chaos?
4) How about making characters who respond in a sexist manner when they meet your female expedition leader?

Maybe I didn't articulate correctly what I wanted to say: We didn't set out with the goal of making a controversial game, just for the sake of making a controversial game. We approached the game from the standpoint of wanting to place it in a certain era and with that we also have to portray some of the dark sides of that era or it would feel dishonest. So, yes this will be possibly perceived as controversial, but its important to us that it's not just a marketing stunt, but an aspect that grew out of the context of the setting.

All of the examples that you gave are actually in the realm of things that could happen in the game.

quixotic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: November 03, 2014, 04:58:18 AM »

So, I signed up for an account her (after just reading for several years) just so I could express my deep interest in this game. I'm really looking forward to it.

Wow, thanks! Smiley

quixotic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 05, 2014, 08:48:28 AM »

Hi, we've updated our homepage with a new design and a new FAQ that contains more info about our upcoming alpha release. Since we're doing everything ourselves, we also did the website on our own. Not as exciting as working on the actual game, but we're quite happy with it now. I hope you like it as well. We tried to keep it a bit playful, same as the game.

If there is anything else that you want to know about, please let us know!

http://curious-expedition.com

Cheers
Riad

TheChaoticGood
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #506 on: November 05, 2014, 09:34:27 AM »

I really like the premise of your game. Good luck man.

I would suggest doing a second pass on the overworld. Your combat screen looks a little better than your overworld.

Keep at it and don't give up.

quixotic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 06, 2014, 02:00:17 AM »

I really like the premise of your game. Good luck man.

I would suggest doing a second pass on the overworld. Your combat screen looks a little better than your overworld.

Keep at it and don't give up.

Thanks for the feedback! We're far beyond giving up at this point. Smiley

quixotic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: November 07, 2014, 09:25:41 AM »

Hey,

we thought it might be a good idea to share our ideas for our paid tiers. If you're interested, please let us know what you think. Any other ideas? Too expensive/cheap? Too boring? Or just perfect? The commenting function is enabled so please feel free to use it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lpZE7uzUUa0zv_voEzz-opQIYsneWhklAMSWFOrOucY/edit

We've also launched our official company website. It also contains our Ludum Dare game PLANET CORP which you can play directly from your browser right now.

http://maschinen-mensch.com

Cheers

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #509 on: November 07, 2014, 02:23:22 PM »

What is this for, a kick starter or an early access campaign or something?

Pike `n Shot  the first pshmup ever made. Twitter:@JamesEdSmith
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #510 on: November 07, 2014, 02:36:42 PM »

Good luck with the KS, as for the tiers I think they are pretty tricky to come up with, and I'm trying to do the same, so good luck guys Smiley

quixotic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: November 07, 2014, 05:31:07 PM »

Thanks! We're not doing a KS campaign actually. Just a plain ol' alpha access on our own homepage. Smiley

TheGreatBundini
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: November 12, 2014, 06:36:41 PM »

Hey,

we thought it might be a good idea to share our ideas for our paid tiers. If you're interested, please let us know what you think. Any other ideas? Too expensive/cheap? Too boring? Or just perfect? The commenting function is enabled so please feel free to use it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lpZE7uzUUa0zv_voEzz-opQIYsneWhklAMSWFOrOucY/edit

Cheers

Made some suggestions in the GDoc, hope they are helpful!  Smiley

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #513 on: November 13, 2014, 06:00:52 AM »

Hey,

Cheers

Made some suggestions in the GDoc, hope they are helpful!  Smiley

Yes they are , thank you very much!  Gentleman

On a different note - I recently made this image for obvious reasons. After a very long time and a so called "hell of a ride" we're going to start selling our game through Alpha Access pretty damn soon. We'll post a link to the press release here soon. If you want to help us spread the word that would be fabulous and very much appreciated.

Reilly
Level 2

14/f/tx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #514 on: November 13, 2014, 09:55:02 AM »

Count me in, good luck!

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #515 on: November 14, 2014, 06:15:19 AM »

NEWS! We're super excited to tell you that The Curious Expedition will be released on the 27th November.

Read the official press release.

Spreading the word is greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the support so far!  My Word!

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #516 on: November 14, 2014, 06:32:32 AM »

NEWS! We're super excited to tell you that The Curious Expedition will be released on the 27th November.

Wow it's close! Smiley Good luck guys, and congratulation! I may have missed the information, but it'll only be available on your Website? A Steam release is planned?

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #517 on: November 14, 2014, 06:34:26 AM »

Wow it's close! Smiley Good luck guys, and congratulation! I may have missed the information, but it'll only be available on your Website? A Steam release is planned?

Thanks! Yes, we'll initially sell it with a Humble Widget on our own website. A Steam release is planned for 2015, however it depends on Steam if they will have us or not :-)

efge
Level 0

No Zombies, no stars, no careers, no bananas.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #518 on: November 14, 2014, 01:55:24 PM »

Good luck with the release and the Alpha!
quixotic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: November 18, 2014, 06:53:11 AM »

We've finally enabled preordering on our website! After two years of preparation this is the first time that we're actually kinda earning money. Very exciting times. Right now we're constantly hitting F5 in our browser to check if somebody new bought the game. Smiley

You can find the buy button on our website: http://curious-expedition.com
Also make sure to check our lovingly selected special editions: http://curious-expedition.com/editions

Thanks so much for all your feedback over all this time! <3

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 32
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic