Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:41:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Curious Expedition
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 32
Print
Author Topic: The Curious Expedition  (Read 187400 times)
quixotic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: November 18, 2014, 06:57:15 AM »

Good luck with the release and the Alpha!

Thanks FlauchersFinest! Smiley

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #521 on: November 18, 2014, 06:59:33 AM »

I've probably asked this before, but it's been a while :p

How does combat play out in the game? (I think there's combat)

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
quixotic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: November 18, 2014, 07:19:03 AM »

I've probably asked this before, but it's been a while :p

How does combat play out in the game? (I think there's combat)

Currently we have a simple place-holder mechanic for combat. We experimented with turn and grid based combat mechanics before, but we noticed that we began to heavily rely on them for pacing and for balancing the game, so we removed it again and took a step back again to re-evaluate what the game is really about: exploration, party interaction, dealing with lots of minor problems that accumulate to big unique stories and failures.

Our plan is to soon add a new mini game, which we want to base on a simple dice mechanic that we've played around a little bit with. Our idea is now not to make a mini game dedicated to just combat, but to create something that can be applied to conflicts of any kind.. for example: bargaining for better deals, arguing with natives over territory or hunting animals. Its important for us that combat is part of the game, but that it is not the central game mechanic or most efficient conflict resolving method as in a lot of other games.

I hope this answers your question. Smiley

ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #523 on: November 18, 2014, 07:38:53 AM »

Right now we're constantly hitting F5 in our browser to check if somebody new bought the game. Smiley
you may well hit it, though i'm not that new Smiley

quixotic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: November 19, 2014, 05:56:55 AM »

Right now we're constantly hitting F5 in our browser to check if somebody new bought the game. Smiley
you may well hit it, though i'm not that new Smiley

Thanks! Smiley

crusty
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #525 on: November 19, 2014, 10:57:05 AM »

I'm going straight for Harriet Tubman.  Can't wait to use her mystical vision powers

Caravan: devlog | website
jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #526 on: November 19, 2014, 02:53:43 PM »

We made it on the PC Gamer frontpage. It's an exclusive preview, and it's excellent!

TheGreatBundini
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: November 19, 2014, 05:45:53 PM »

We made it on the PC Gamer frontpage. It's an exclusive preview, and it's excellent!

Nice write-up, did PCG reach out, or did you get in contact with that writer?

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #528 on: November 22, 2014, 02:59:07 PM »

Nice write-up, did PCG reach out, or did you get in contact with that writer?

We knew him before, he made 2 articles on us before this one already. Initially it was a call from PC Gamer on twitter for indie devs to show their games; we answered and that's how it all started.

makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #529 on: November 27, 2014, 08:55:40 AM »

Congratz on the alpha! I might just be able to find the bucks to buy it around xmas...

Makerimages-Its in the pixel
gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #530 on: November 27, 2014, 10:32:04 AM »

Nice! Also very interested in how your kickstarter-style price splits do for you. I'm going to be doing the first two for sure (regular game, collectors edition w/ soundtrack/art extras), but am thinking about what you've done..

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #531 on: November 27, 2014, 12:51:35 PM »

Helloooo! So yeah, in case you have not noticed yet, we have released our alpha TODAY!
Its crazy and we're super excited. Thanks a lot of all the support we got here over the last years.

Seki
Level 0

Revolution.

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: November 27, 2014, 01:57:21 PM »

Looks amazing!... Now to buy or not to buy... That is the question. (Poor Indies lifes are hard... and filled with choices)

ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #533 on: November 28, 2014, 01:59:07 AM »

I bought it, played it an hour yesterday and it delivers all the rogue-like action you'd expect Smiley Great work.

quixotic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: November 28, 2014, 03:20:35 AM »

Looks amazing!... Now to buy or not to buy... That is the question. (Poor Indies lifes are hard... and filled with choices)

The answer should be obvious, if you ask me! Wink

johnhackworth
Level 0

The enemy gate is down!

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: November 30, 2014, 03:27:19 AM »

Guys, I've been playing for the whole weekend and you have done something amazing so far Smiley

Just two small ui suggestion:

· When you buy the items for your expedition, it would be nice if, in addition to the unit cost and the number of units available, you put there the cost of the whole pack
· Maybe it would be nice to change the golden piramid for an array of things you are looking for... I mean, a expedition could be to find the golden piramid, another one to find a rare orchid, another to find the origins of the nile ... the game will play the same, but it would be nice to have some variety there Smiley

Mixing FTL with Silent hunter since 2014: Ballast Blow
JustRadek
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #536 on: November 30, 2014, 09:18:25 AM »

Hope the RPS/PC Gamer coverage helps out with the early sales.

quixotic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: December 02, 2014, 10:13:31 AM »

Guys, I've been playing for the whole weekend and you have done something amazing so far Smiley

Just two small ui suggestion:

· When you buy the items for your expedition, it would be nice if, in addition to the unit cost and the number of units available, you put there the cost of the whole pack
· Maybe it would be nice to change the golden piramid for an array of things you are looking for... I mean, a expedition could be to find the golden piramid, another one to find a rare orchid, another to find the origins of the nile ... the game will play the same, but it would be nice to have some variety there Smiley

- The barter interface before starting an expedition is still a bit clunky. Will hopefully be improved soon.
- Yes, that's definetely a good idea for later.

Glad that you're enjoying and thanks for your feedback! Smiley

dynasty9
Level 0

Let's do this

View Profile WWW
« Reply #538 on: December 05, 2014, 10:34:26 AM »

I want to play this game. I feel this is a great mixing of different games I loved. We're doing a HTML5 game too. I'll contribute and share your game  Beer!!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 10:44:06 AM by dynasty9 » Logged

cougarten
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: December 08, 2014, 06:22:09 PM »

[maybe some light spoilers ahead]

Your game looks gorgeous and playing it is funny and fun too. And yay, it probably will come to mobile too, no? Smiley

I think it is slightly racist though, we keep looting those poor natives and give them some cheap glass marbles for their gold. Maybe some humorist comment about grave robbers and (at best) exploitative white explores would do good. edit: in part you do have these Smiley but playing fair is not very rewarding Smiley, maybe you could praise the foreign gods instead of looting? and increase standing when you trade in more than the villagers ask for.

you seem to appreciate feedback, so here I go:
- crew selection should show as many "you want" slots as open positions are there
- option for faster text (or something to keep from clicking not yet visible buttons when skipping via click on the text). I also want to quickly reveal the expedition fame rating at the end of each mission.
- game crashed once, i lost my save state completely :/ (no nothing to resume)
- blowing the horn once showed a text with placeholder (something like "something responded to the calls (enter area wildlife)")
- I find the days as negative reputation a little harsh. Also it's sad to end early if you have just 5 expeditions per game. I guess keep the player from boring grind for the last undiscovered tiles? maybe a bonus was enough (would be much balancing work though i guess :/ )
- i'd love a bit more tactic, maybe some combat related (terrain advantages e.g.)
- A journal history was nice, I sometimes click away text I think i know already but didn't Smiley
- expedition #5 had cool content, but maybe it was even more rewarding if content got gradually more mystic/obscure through all 5 expeditions.
- I like saving... lost some good men hehe.

- some things stay unclear to me (some few become clear through the tutorial, but it's nice how it's playable without doing the tutorial):
-- fame and money/trade-value is equivalent, this is a bit unintuitive.
-- how to gain standing (I just found a single opportunity to do some good once)
-- why the base cost for moving? (i think people don't even realize there is one) long moves make appearing wildlife a little unpredictable.
-- how long is a day? what costs me days?
-- what exactly does all the science equipment?
-- does it help to have several "buff-items" of one kind? (e.g. climbing gear, drums)
-- what is region score? why is it a fraction?
-- what is the golden loading bar, is it exp? does it's location on the screen/map matter?
-- watching the compass, even with low accuracy negatively reveals where the pyramid will not be. after a few turns it sometimes is easy to guess where it might be. I however like this mechanic, but it gives those who figured it out a huge advantage.
-- do fighters in my team help in fights? my men keep getting injured in most of the fights.
-- what do special places without actions do? (e.g. huge tree) and at which places can I sleep (I figured out over time, but it's not intuitive. also the cooks description should mention the needed campfire maybe)?

thanks again for the game, cheers!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 04:23:05 AM by cougarten » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 32
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic