Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 09:32:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Curious Expedition
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 32
Print
Author Topic: The Curious Expedition  (Read 188172 times)
quixotic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: January 02, 2015, 11:11:01 AM »

[maybe some light spoilers ahead]

Your game looks gorgeous and playing it is funny and fun too. And yay, it probably will come to mobile too, no? Smiley

I think it is slightly racist though, we keep looting those poor natives and give them some cheap glass marbles for their gold. Maybe some humorist comment about grave robbers and (at best) exploitative white explores would do good. edit: in part you do have these Smiley but playing fair is not very rewarding Smiley, maybe you could praise the foreign gods instead of looting? and increase standing when you trade in more than the villagers ask for.

Hey cougarten,

sorry for the late late reply! Its kinda embarassing. We've been so busy with the game and our own forum (*advertisement*) that we didn't check our tigsource thread for some time. Won't happen again.

We plan to bring the game to tablets at some point. Anything smaller than that is unlikely as the game appears too complex for that. About exploiting the natives: that's absolutely true and one of the points of the game pretty much. We'll keep working on hitting the right tone hopefully.

you seem to appreciate feedback, so here I go:
- crew selection should show as many "you want" slots as open positions are there

True, the crew selection was a bit clunky. We've completely replaced it by adding ports to the game and wrapping the recruitment better into the fiction/narrative.

- option for faster text (or something to keep from clicking not yet visible buttons when skipping via click on the text). I also want to quickly reveal the expedition fame rating at the end of each mission.

You can click on the diary to reveal the text immediately.

- game crashed once, i lost my save state completely :/ (no nothing to resume)

Sorry, about that. If you have any more info abou the crash please send an email to [email protected]. Its highly appreciated.

- blowing the horn once showed a text with placeholder (something like "something responded to the calls (enter area wildlife)")

That's been fixed by now Smiley

- I find the days as negative reputation a little harsh. Also it's sad to end early if you have just 5 expeditions per game. I guess keep the player from boring grind for the last undiscovered tiles? maybe a bonus was enough (would be much balancing work though i guess :/ )

- i'd love a bit more tactic, maybe some combat related (terrain advantages e.g.)

We're currently working on the combat and also the specific terrain might become more important in the future (indepenent of our work on the combat/challenge system).

- A journal history was nice, I sometimes click away text I think i know already but didn't Smiley

You mean like being able to go back to check old entries?

- expedition #5 had cool content, but maybe it was even more rewarding if content got gradually more mystic/obscure through all 5 expeditions.

Yes, that's definetely the plan.

- I like saving... lost some good men hehe.

Sorry, we're going full roguelike here. If you lose somebody, you have to deal with it. Smiley

- some things stay unclear to me (some few become clear through the tutorial, but it's nice how it's playable without doing the tutorial):
-- fame and money/trade-value is equivalent, this is a bit unintuitive.

-- how to gain standing (I just found a single opportunity to do some good once)

Currently there is only one way to gain standing. We might add more in the future, but in general the idea is that you are intruding into another world and will most be unwelcome at some point sooner or later.

-- why the base cost for moving? (i think people don't even realize there is one) long moves make appearing wildlife a little unpredictable.

This is to prevent making boring one-by-one turns the optimal strategy. So far we haven't found a better mechanism for this.

-- how long is a day? what costs me days?

In general 1 turn = 1 day. Doing actions at a location (e.g. resting or digging for treasures) will cost you at least one day. We'll work on a mechanic that allows you to specify beforehand how many days you actually want to spend on certain locations.

-- what exactly does all the science equipment?

Its an additional mechanic for advanced players, but we currently have disabled it. For now you gain science simply by discovering locations. Once you've filled your science bar you can a region point, which you can use to level up your characters.

-- does it help to have several "buff-items" of one kind? (e.g. climbing gear, drums)

It depends. They have different stack rates. We should expose this somewhere.

-- what is region score? why is it a fraction?

Region score and science score are the same. It represents the percentage of discovery special locations in the region.

-- what is the golden loading bar, is it exp? does it's location on the screen/map matter?

It used to represent the science score, but we've reworked the UI in Alpha 3.

-- watching the compass, even with low accuracy negatively reveals where the pyramid will not be. after a few turns it sometimes is easy to guess where it might be. I however like this mechanic, but it gives those who figured it out a huge advantage.

True, we don't mind advanced players figuring out tricks to figure out the destination quicker. If the mechanic should prove to be too shallow, we'll rework it though.

-- do fighters in my team help in fights? my men keep getting injured in most of the fights.

Yes, this used to be a bug, which has been fixed in Alpha 3.

-- what do special places without actions do? (e.g. huge tree) and at which places can I sleep (I figured out over time, but it's not intuitive. also the cooks description should mention the needed campfire maybe)?

True on the cooking special action. We should improve that. The huge tree does nothing in the current version. Its purely decorational. In older version it used to give additional science points, but we've disabled this for the for the sake of clarity.

thanks again for the game, cheers!

Thanks for the questions! I hope I cleared some things up. I hope you'll check out Alpha 3! Smiley

quixotic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: January 02, 2015, 11:18:44 AM »

By the way.. we just released Alpha 3!

You can find the full changelist here: http://thecuriousexpedition.tumblr.com/post/106917781994/alpha-3-jan-2-2015
For the first time we also created a video changelist. Hope you like it! Smiley

As usual feedback is highly appreciated!

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #542 on: January 06, 2015, 09:10:22 AM »

We're approaching a new frontier, and decided to create our Greenlight campaign.
If you feel like supporting it we'd be more than thankful  My Word!

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 01:02:43 AM by jO » Logged

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #543 on: January 07, 2015, 12:59:31 AM »

(the Greenlight link seems broken... :/)

EDIT: Working now, and voted! Smiley
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 01:06:09 AM by Fenrir » Logged

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #544 on: January 07, 2015, 01:03:22 AM »

(the Greenlight link seems broken... :/)

WHOPS! Thanks for the info, should be fixed now  Who, Me?

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #545 on: January 11, 2015, 05:13:36 AM »

Good progress guys. Well done!

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #546 on: January 15, 2015, 12:53:04 AM »

I just wanted to mention that i realy like those videos.
Greets from Berlin Smiley

Mr Underhill
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #547 on: January 17, 2015, 11:05:37 AM »

This...

...is beautiful.

Keep up the great work!

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: January 19, 2015, 06:35:05 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musa_I_of_Mali

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Mutapa

« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 09:01:31 PM by Gimym JIMBERT » Logged

ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #549 on: January 21, 2015, 10:37:15 AM »

Maybe a bit outside your timeframe but I found William B. Seabrook's Adventures in Arabia and was quite amazed by his short biography full of occultism, alcoholism, globetrotting, the great war, journalism, and even cannibalism. I think he's a good fit for the game.

And a question: Will there be an API for mods? I'd be interesting in doing an inter-war-period mod with aeroplanes and stuff.

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #550 on: January 21, 2015, 02:17:39 PM »

We have some amazing news!

First - after only 15 days, we're officially greenlit! Many thanks to everyone who participated in the voting.

Next, we've released our new Alpha Update 4 today, WOO! Big changes have come into the game, most notably we have replaced our very rough placeholder combat with a proper mechanic! And guess what, it's a dice-game :-)

This video will give you a rough overview about some of the new aspects:

For a more detailed changelog, go here.

Our next update is already scheduled (as usual) and will arrive on the 11th February.

And a question: Will there be an API for mods? I'd be interesting in doing an inter-war-period mod with aeroplanes and stuff.

Hey, first off thanks for the references - more of them are always helpful  Smiley
As for your question about modding support: we've talked about this a lot, and are really, really interested in doing it. However, we'll need to find a good way to embedd this into our game and workflow. Also, since we're a very small team, this is not something we can just do on the side. So yeah, no real answer here other than we'd love to do it. It depends a little bit on how sales are going in the coming weeks, and also if we find a smart approach about opening up the game for modding.

Riho
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #551 on: January 22, 2015, 04:36:18 AM »

Congrats getting greenlit!

Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #552 on: January 26, 2015, 08:04:57 AM »

I can't believe I just learnt about this! Looks amazing!  Beer!

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #553 on: January 26, 2015, 10:46:07 AM »

Congrats getting greenlit!

Agreed! Very well-deserved Smiley

quixotic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: January 28, 2015, 08:26:35 AM »

Thanks guys! Smiley

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #555 on: January 28, 2015, 09:20:43 AM »

Congrats! I just assumed you had already been greenlit - you waited quite a long time to go for it IMO (though completely vindicated by the speed you got through)

ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #556 on: February 07, 2015, 10:29:49 AM »

It's annoying to find another game looking like Curious Expedition, but its graphic style isn't as cool as yours.

http://abbeygames.com/game/renowned-explorers/

Overman
Level 0

Kid Genius

View Profile WWW
« Reply #557 on: February 07, 2015, 10:47:41 AM »

Holy cow, this game looks amazing! I will have to check it out tomorrow, since I'm going to bed now.  Yawn

Potentially 5-star review incoming on my blog...  Well, hello there!

Genius game developer.
Me latest game: Rowan
http://www.overman-gaming.com
@OvermanGaming
Shockedder
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: February 21, 2015, 03:42:05 PM »

Cool looking game.
Is it me or the Alpha 5 doesn't have music/sound anymore ?
Love the combat mechanic.
Cheers.
ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #559 on: February 22, 2015, 09:41:15 AM »

Great news and deserved news!

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 32
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic