Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:02:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Curious Expedition
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 32
Print
Author Topic: The Curious Expedition  (Read 187317 times)
quixotic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: February 23, 2015, 07:01:06 AM »

Cool looking game.
Is it me or the Alpha 5 doesn't have music/sound anymore ?
Love the combat mechanic.
Cheers.

Hey, there should definetely be music/sounds. Did you check your in-game preferences? Maybe you moved some sliders and forgot about it!?

quixotic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: February 23, 2015, 07:06:36 AM »

It's annoying to find another game looking like Curious Expedition, but its graphic style isn't as cool as yours.

http://abbeygames.com/game/renowned-explorers/

At least we were first. Tongue

We actually randomly stumbled on the guys while visiting GC in Cologne and had a quick chat. We share some ideas (coming with the setting), but there is definetely a different focus for both games. In general there should be enough room for plenty of expedition games. After all its a rather "UNEXPLORED" genre. *bada dushhh*  Cool Wink

Overman
Level 0

Kid Genius

View Profile WWW
« Reply #562 on: February 23, 2015, 09:02:30 PM »

Got around to buying this, beat it on my 3rd try. Once I learned how everything worked, it was pretty straightforward. I hope the final game has more strategic depth  Beg But then again, I am a genius.  Giggle

Good game and lots of fun. Once you add more stuff it will be great, but right now I'm already at the point where I'm not seeing anything new anymore, apart from the Prehistoric area in my final winning playthrough.

I may write a review on my blog if I have time. I'm feeling a 3.9/5 for this, taking into consideration that it's 60% finished. Almost at 4 stars, but not quite. Needs a lot more polish and more content!  Well, hello there!

Edit: I should add, that I have very high expectations for this game, which is why I bought a special edition and why I'm finding time out of my very busy day to play this. Unless I'm wrong (and I never am), I think this will be a big hit. *wiggles his invisible psychic antennae*
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 09:11:19 PM by Overman » Logged

Genius game developer.
Me latest game: Rowan
http://www.overman-gaming.com
@OvermanGaming
quixotic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: February 24, 2015, 01:45:34 AM »

Got around to buying this, beat it on my 3rd try. Once I learned how everything worked, it was pretty straightforward. I hope the final game has more strategic depth  Beg But then again, I am a genius.  Giggle

Good game and lots of fun. Once you add more stuff it will be great, but right now I'm already at the point where I'm not seeing anything new anymore, apart from the Prehistoric area in my final winning playthrough.

I may write a review on my blog if I have time. I'm feeling a 3.9/5 for this, taking into consideration that it's 60% finished. Almost at 4 stars, but not quite. Needs a lot more polish and more content!  Well, hello there!

Edit: I should add, that I have very high expectations for this game, which is why I bought a special edition and why I'm finding time out of my very busy day to play this. Unless I'm wrong (and I never am), I think this will be a big hit. *wiggles his invisible psychic antennae*

Hey Overman,

thanks a lot for buying the game and the feedback! We're super busy constantly adding new content. For the upcoming alpha we mostly focussed on world gen and adding a lot more variety in the order in which existing terrain types can be played. The alphas after that will also bring new terrain types and more secret worlds. Right now a lot of replayability is in the different random events that can occur. We have around 13,000+ words in those so far (lots more incoming). We're absolutely aiming at making the game more challenging in the long run, but we don't want to do that by throwing a ton of complexity on the player, but rather by having just a couple of base systems interact with each other in lots of interesting ways, so we're spending a lot of time on the basics.

Hope you'll be around for more alphas. Smiley

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #564 on: February 27, 2015, 05:06:59 AM »

Hello fellow Adventurers, we're back with some wonderful updates!

First off - we've released our alpha update 6 a few days ago. There's a lot of really nice stuff in there, mostly we concentrated on the world generation. Here's a brief video overview:

On other news, we're having a FREE TO PLAY WEEKEND (but not in the bad sense).
This means we'll open up our servers and allow everyone to play the FULL game.
No signups, no email necessary, no nothing - just play the game. Here's the flyer for it (sharing this is greatly appreciated)

That's all for now. Thanks a lot!  Gentleman

TheGreatBundini
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: February 27, 2015, 07:34:19 AM »

Great idea for a promotion, would love to hear if it leads to an increase in early access sales after the weekend is over. In either case, I'm excited that more people are going to get to play the game.  Wink 

quixotic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: February 28, 2015, 01:14:23 AM »

Great idea for a promotion, would love to hear if it leads to an increase in early access sales after the weekend is over. In either case, I'm excited that more people are going to get to play the game.  Wink 

We're excited to find out. The free weekend is LIVE NOW! Smiley

If you like the game please share http://free.curious-expedition.com with your friends

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: February 28, 2015, 08:00:16 AM »

"play for free" week end or "free to play"? Who, Me?

quixotic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: February 28, 2015, 08:04:37 AM »

"play for free" week end or "free to play"? Who, Me?

Free playing. No accounts, no in-app purchases, no installs, no plug-ins, no content limitation. Just the full game during the weekend. Smiley

Chris Koźmik
Level 5

Silver Lemur Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #569 on: March 02, 2015, 11:40:06 AM »

Before I start complaing I wanted to say the game is not shabby at all! The core concept works and overall it's a nice game.

I tried the fee weekend edition, there are several small glithes/problems (like you can die in tutorial, missing tooltips, infinite money when selling bug, etc) I suggest spending some time on polishing these things.
A slightly bigger thing, I got completely confused how combat works (dice), I only finally guessed it because I knew yahtzie mechanic. Definitely it should be explained somehow/somewhere (the oddest thing is it was not mentioned in the tutorial at all...)

Gameplay stuff now:
- when you start an expedition and buy equipment it feels odd, it begs for some "pounds/money" item that you get at the start of each expedition and then spend on purchases (that item would be useless when on expedition). Now you simply start by selling some stuff you will need to get other stuff which does not make sense.
- generally you start with a bit too few items to my taste (when I go on an expedition I should start prepared (tons of items) and then in the middle of expedition I should run out of these). Right now it feels as if you started completelly unprepared.

Stellar Monarch 2 (dev log, IN DEVELOPMENT)
Stellar Monarch (dev log, released)
quixotic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: March 02, 2015, 02:51:45 PM »

Hi Archibald!

I absolutely agree that we need to explain some mechanics better. Being an alpha, we were still iterating on basic mechanics based on the feedback and didn't have to time to invest heavily into a good tutorial. I feel that we've reached some maturity now and we'll invest much more time into polishing and UI now.

For Alpha 8 we'll probably work completely on the dice game, improving the UI and depth. We were not sure how the community would react to it in the beginning, because it seems a bit like a gamble to put such an abstract dice mechanic into the game, but it was well received once people get it and we'll now invest more time actually finalizing it.

I absolutely agree on the money resource. Coincidentelly I just added the code for it today. For Alpha 7 we're focussing exactly on this 'funds' aspect and how it relates to the overall campaign. We're also iterating on the barter dialogue and adding rivalries to the game. I'm pretty excited about this upcoming alpha.. but actually I'm about every alpha. Wink

About the item tuning, this changes from version to version, but I get your point. In the initial alphas we were leaning too much into the direction of actually overwhelming the player with the amount of items he was offered to carry into the expedition. We got much better feedback/flow with less items, but as anything its a constant tuning effort to find the sweet spot.

Thanks for taking the time, Archibald!

PS: Could you explain the "infinite money" bug?

Chris Koźmik
Level 5

Silver Lemur Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #571 on: March 03, 2015, 12:56:17 AM »

Go to the sell screen (upon expedition start). Put an item on sale that has multiple items (x3). Remove items one by one. Once you removed the item from sale this way you will have some "leftover value". IIRC it might work with more expensive items only?

Stellar Monarch 2 (dev log, IN DEVELOPMENT)
Stellar Monarch (dev log, released)
quixotic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 03, 2015, 07:04:06 AM »

Go to the sell screen (upon expedition start). Put an item on sale that has multiple items (x3). Remove items one by one. Once you removed the item from sale this way you will have some "leftover value". IIRC it might work with more expensive items only?

Did this occur in the "harbor shop"? If yes, that might be a missunderstanding. In the harbor that "leftover value" actually represents your current fame, as earned in your previous expeditions. We're really doing a poor job of communicating this, so we're adding this funds resource now and making that much more obvious for Alpha 7.

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #573 on: March 03, 2015, 10:36:25 AM »

I played three or four hours over the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed the game. I have my PC set up as a media center to save space in my small apartment and have Windows scale the DPI up 150% so everything is easily readable from my couch. I was initially pretty confused the first time I tried playing because the UI scales up based on DPI and makes it impossible to play in the browser. I figured out what was wrong relatively quickly but you might consider adding a disclaimer advising folks to set their DPI back to 100%. I expect it's not super common but it might save someone trouble in the long run.

Otherwise I had a fantastic time playing. I'll certainly be picking this up in the future.
quixotic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 11, 2015, 01:10:54 AM »

I played three or four hours over the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed the game. I have my PC set up as a media center to save space in my small apartment and have Windows scale the DPI up 150% so everything is easily readable from my couch. I was initially pretty confused the first time I tried playing because the UI scales up based on DPI and makes it impossible to play in the browser. I figured out what was wrong relatively quickly but you might consider adding a disclaimer advising folks to set their DPI back to 100%. I expect it's not super common but it might save someone trouble in the long run.

Otherwise I had a fantastic time playing. I'll certainly be picking this up in the future.

Hey, thanks for the feedback! We'll look into that.

RJAG
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: April 06, 2015, 05:56:08 AM »

You are one of the few developers I have a lot of respect for, because your game is different/unique/awesome. My respect is rare, as I hold an opinion that in 2015, some of the best games are still classics. That in 18 years (Fallout 1/2) and even in 29 years (Starflight) developers have only been able to match/equal these titles- certainly not exceed them. I find that pathetic. However, games like yours give me hope that perhaps we will indeed see something which surpasses many classics. So I thank you for helping to broaden what it means to develop a game with such a fresh and innovative take which strays away from the typical "Combat combat combat!" focus.

Your game breaks out of the box of uninspired clones and dares to innovate. Your game being about exploration, with that theme? Amazing.

If only more developers were like you and created such unique titles that were based on experiences no one has ever tried before. If more were like you, we would see so many amazing games that I would die of pleasure overload. Games that take you out of the feeling you are some bloodthirsty psychopath who kills thousands of enemies without question, to being a darwinian explorer, a game about science, a game about adventure.

Needless to say, the MOMENT I discovered this game existed, I made a purchase ASAP without any reservations. I haven't had time to play it at all yet (and I am in part avoiding even loading it up in fear of disappointment) but from what I see- I'm sure I'll love it.

-Developer of Away Mission
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 06:06:13 AM by RJAG » Logged
quixotic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: April 09, 2015, 02:11:49 AM »

You are one of the few developers I have a lot of respect for, because your game is different/unique/awesome. My respect is rare, as I hold an opinion that in 2015, some of the best games are still classics. That in 18 years (Fallout 1/2) and even in 29 years (Starflight) developers have only been able to match/equal these titles- certainly not exceed them. I find that pathetic. However, games like yours give me hope that perhaps we will indeed see something which surpasses many classics. So I thank you for helping to broaden what it means to develop a game with such a fresh and innovative take which strays away from the typical "Combat combat combat!" focus.

Your game breaks out of the box of uninspired clones and dares to innovate. Your game being about exploration, with that theme? Amazing.

If only more developers were like you and created such unique titles that were based on experiences no one has ever tried before. If more were like you, we would see so many amazing games that I would die of pleasure overload. Games that take you out of the feeling you are some bloodthirsty psychopath who kills thousands of enemies without question, to being a darwinian explorer, a game about science, a game about adventure.

Needless to say, the MOMENT I discovered this game existed, I made a purchase ASAP without any reservations. I haven't had time to play it at all yet (and I am in part avoiding even loading it up in fear of disappointment) but from what I see- I'm sure I'll love it.

-Developer of Away Mission

Wow, thanks! That feedback means a lot to me. I just hope we're living up to your expectations. We're certainly trying hard at least and its nice to see people appreciate that we tried something new. Smiley

quixotic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: April 09, 2015, 02:27:52 AM »

Oh by the way.. Here's an update video for version 8.

You can also see us and our new office in the video Smiley
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 02:20:52 PM by quixotic » Logged

RJAG
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 11, 2015, 09:27:04 PM »

You're definitely living up to my expectations. You guys are doing a great job.

Really, what a refreshing game/developer.
Katsusiro_7
« Reply #579 on: April 16, 2015, 02:09:06 PM »

Hey, the game looks great and I really like the idea!
I`m in!
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 32
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic