Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:06:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBreak N' Take
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Break N' Take  (Read 1406 times)
AlexVsCoding
Level 7

Enthusiasm at dangerous levels.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 28, 2012, 06:41:23 PM »

Hey Everybody!

Quick rebuild of a game I made in first year for my course - originally built in XNA but restrictions of my Coding skills meant the game had lots of stuff missing or nonfunctional (Got my C so its all good ^^).

Anyway, whilst blasting out the mechanics for pong in Stencyl, I decided to take what I'd learnt and apply it to revamping dearest Break N' Take.

Basic outline of the game is:

Breakout flipped on its head in which you control a UFO. The player has to deflect a bouncing energy ball into buildings whilst abducting screaming citizens who run along the city streets using a tractor beam.

Controls - Arrow keys left and right and space to enhance the power of your tractor beam!

Link to early build, please give it a try; any constructive feedback would be massively appreciated.

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/15858

I will be contacting a sound designer in the week to create sound effects and music for the project - those interested also please feel welcome to contact me if interested, the guys who I usually contact are working on two of my other projects!

Screenshots

Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 02:52:34 PM by AlexVsCoding » Logged

Gagege
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 04:20:21 AM »

It's a cool idea but it need a lot of tweaking. It's really hard. The ball moves too fast, and with the ship moving down constantly it becomes impossible real quick.

Abduct the people? HA. There's no way, I was way too busy just barely keeping the ball on the screen.

I think if you just slow the ball down and make the people move up a little faster you could have something really fun here.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 08:56:56 PM by Gagege » Logged

blog
Soli Deo Gloria
dexter_deluxe
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 04:50:26 PM »

I like the style! The ball is moving too fast, almost as fast as the U.F.O.
In addition, I find it very hard to predict in which direction the ball will bounce from a building..

Keep it up!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 08:06:22 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, the fantastically helpful points you both made have matched the responses given across the board by the other testers. As a result, I have reduced the first layer of the background, reduced the speed slightly of the ball and slightly increased the difference between using the beam and not (increased the speed of the player using the beam). Please give it another try and let me know if its any better. Thanks again!

Gagege
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 09:03:37 PM »

Beat that.

blog
Soli Deo Gloria
dexter_deluxe
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 03:56:44 AM »

waaay better than before!! Now it's fun playing

Indievelopper
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 06:23:04 AM »

Haven't used SPACE, didn't appear to enhance my beam whatsoever.

Anyway,

Why does my ship goes retard when I touch the borders? I've now learnt to avoid touching them, but every time I died was because of those damn screenlimits...

Something as simple as a white halo surrounding the blocks could really help differentiating them from the background. Just an idea.

The ball's animation (the fact that it leaves some sort of echo behind it) completely f*cks with my brain.

All in all it's a funny little game and I enjoy the funky oldschool graphics  Beer!
AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 08:25:28 AM »

All Fantastic feedback guys! Will be updating with the suggested improvements:

1. More emphasis between the foreground and background (more subtle then bright white outlines but less subtle than using black on black)
2. A more distinct difference in the power of the beam when activated both visually and gameplay wise
3. Find an alternative method of preventing the player from exiting the screen (awkward delay at edge of screen de-activates controls and pushes the player in the opposite direction for a couple of milliseconds)
4. The ball's trail will be made slightly lower opacity to the background, but only to differentiate between the ball and the trail since they start the same size. An additional 2 frames are going to be added at smaller sizes.

I have student marking to do before I crack on with this but my guess is it that once I'm done with the marking it should only take about an hour to fix these problems. After this point, its just getting the sound implemented for some screaming civvies and some satisfying cyber boing noises. Stay tuned!

P.s. Awesome to see you guys are competing with scores ^^

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 02:24:32 PM »

Latest version of game is uploaded with the improvements mentioned in last post and these additional improvements:

1. Particle Rubble Explosion Upon block destruction
2. Fixed issue with beam moving off screen randomly
3. Altered opacities of background to benefit foreground blocks

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/15858

Hope you enjoy the latest demo, please once again let me know of anything that needs improving and I'll try and fit it into the schedule to get it fixed up/built in!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic