Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1036732 Posts in 41862 Topics- by 33480 Members - Latest Member: Olthar

August 28, 2014, 03:15:02 AM
TIGSource ForumsCommunityCompetitionsSportsBoogie Tennis
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Boogie Tennis  (Read 4196 times)
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 03:42:42 PM »

I am not very good at this game. Hard to tell if I am on the top or bottom. Also the bottom player's idle animation makes me  Shocked  Embarrassed  Roll Eyes .

Over all I enjoy the experience in spite of my sucking at it.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
Ted Martens
Level 3

aka savethedinosaurs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 09:47:37 PM »

I played it on our living room TV and my roommates and I laughed so hard at the booty bounce'n idle animation. I love the art style and personality of the game, and I can only imagine what the other characters might look like and the silly visual jokes they'll have. The super powers are a cool idea.

I'll also admit that since I played a lot of 'Tennis' for Game Boy it took me about 3 games to figure out why I wasn't always swinging my racquet automatically on the side where the ball was. You'd probably be able to teach that easily with a tutorial. I got used to it after 10 minutes or so. The hitting felt right, and pretty forgiving in a good way. I thought the NPC's AI felt really well tuned and challenging, I haven't beaten him yet but I won a couple games.

I kept getting hit by the ball all the time until I finally got used to the timing and distance I needed to swing at. Again, a tutorial some day would probably take care of that.

Maybe you could make the NPC's clothes and gear a different color so you can recognize your character quicker?

Really loved it, and I'm look'n forward to following its progress, new characters and powers  Grin

alastair
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 09:04:44 PM »

Are you going to do a HD remake?
jugzor
Manbaby

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 10:43:50 PM »

Hmm, I seem to be stuck. I ran the exe, the title animation plays, and nothing else seems to happen. After a few minutes of waiting, an error message pops up:

for object oScreen:

Trying to use non-existing surface.

I'm on Windows 7. I tried running as administrator and restarting the PC.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 01:48:37 AM »

Hm, I'm not sure why that's happening, since I'm on Windows 7, also. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable about Game Maker 8.0 knows the cause (I'm using Chevy Ray's screen scaling script)?

Are you going to do a HD remake?

Alastair, you little imp, you. But if you're being at all serious, no, I don't have any plans to do an HD version.

The hitting felt right, and pretty forgiving in a good way. I thought the NPC's AI felt really well tuned and challenging, I haven't beaten him yet but I won a couple games.

Maybe you could make the NPC's clothes and gear a different color so you can recognize your character quicker?

Glad you like the game, Ted! I'll probably add another character before I release another build, so you should have no trouble recognizing who's who then. Smiley

Are you planning to add gamepad support, too?  Beg

Definitely!

Something still bothers me : The windows screen seems to small, when I'm on the upper area, I can't even see my player when the opponent serves. This is not a big deal because it only lasts one second or two but...still annoying.

It reminded me Mario Tennis of course, a game I love, and I hope you'll push this forward!

Yeah, it's a bit weird to have the players cut off at the top. I'll see what I can do about that without changing the screen resolution (for some reason I'm a bit hesitant about that).

I'm having a lot of fun working on this game so I'll keep pushing at it. Thanks for you feedback!
schonstal
Level 0

PEW

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 01:23:53 PM »

I love the art, especially the butts.

astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 05:27:22 PM »

Who's ready for some tennis?

whilefun
Level 1

Ah, that's what this field is for...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 08:05:08 AM »

Cannot.Stop.Laughing.

Code_Assassin
Level 5

ok

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2012, 08:24:02 AM »

Cannot.Stop.Laughing.
Lol.Same.Here.

louroboros
Level 0

wat

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2012, 12:52:38 PM »

That photo needs to find its way into the game as some kind of hidden secret.

Eirik
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2012, 05:05:07 PM »

Here's a music tease:

Tennis music

www.strotch.net
twitter: @strotchy
sergiocornaga
Level 7

sergiocornaga@hotmail.com sergiocornaga
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2012, 06:53:42 AM »

Here's a music tease:

Excellent stuff! I swear I recognise some of those samples... from Turtle Dance by Joshua Morse? Or Heat, maybe? Ah, they're probably presets on some keyboard I never owned...
Eirik
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2012, 09:47:14 AM »

Does this sound familiar?
http://youtu.be/OQLKgyYrfH4?t=53s

Heavily used by Konami back in the day. Defenitely reminds me the most of turtles in time.

My track has samples from a few SNES games, plus a few I've sampled myself in SNES-resolution.

Cheers

www.strotch.net
twitter: @strotchy
sergiocornaga
Level 7

sergiocornaga@hotmail.com sergiocornaga
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2012, 11:43:07 PM »

Does this sound familiar?
http://youtu.be/OQLKgyYrfH4?t=53s

ORCH5, of course! I'm not used to recognising it at higher pitches, but now I'll know in the future. Thanks!
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2012, 08:52:22 AM »

Has anyone beat this yet. I could only win one point. Most of the time the ball would sail straight through me, and when I do manage a shot the AI always gets it back. I understand why you want to have the player control the side of the swing, but personally I find that too frustrating. With the speed the ball is coming back having to position and direct myself was too much. Maybe with a more forgiving AI opponent to start with it might work. Graphics and animation are superb though, and it's nice to see you finally take part in a TIGCompo. Good stuff Hand Thumbs Up Left

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic