Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411476 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 04:31:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsGame Development Math series
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Game Development Math series  (Read 4527 times)
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2012, 11:53:33 AM »

One of the areas I easily get the most requests for tutorials on is math.  Therefore I've created a new series of tutorials on exactly this topic, covering some of the most commonly encountered game dev math challenges.   Right now there are 6 tutorials, with more in the works.  They include:

Table of Contents

Each tutorial comes with a complete demonstration application ( in browser ) with complete source, a smaller section with just the math related source code and a description, often with pictures.

This is going to be an ongoing series, so I will update here as I add more.  If there are any specific topics you would like me to cover, please post them here and I will try my best.

Hope some of you find this useful.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 12:10:47 PM by Serapth » Logged
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 07:14:31 AM »

Yay, maths.

How about rotated rect x rotated rect collision?

s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 05:06:22 PM »

Thanks for the tuts, I enjoyed reading them.
It never hurts to brush up on some maths.

Think happy thoughts.
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 05:48:50 PM »

Yay, maths.

How about rotated rect x rotated rect collision?

I finished off on the two aabb collision posts, getting collisioned out for a bit Smiley

Intend to cover collision circles, as they are easy and solve the whole rotation issue being circles and all.  Will also try convex hulls ( which essentially a rectange is I suppose ) at some point if I can shrink it down to fit a recipe.
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 01:34:03 PM »

Updated, collision detection using circles.
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 03:10:34 PM »

By request I created another recipe, Handling sprite based shooting.

It will create a bullet traveling in the direction you clicked.  The distance away determines the speed of the projectile.
Skaruts
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 07:43:31 AM »

This is a nice inniciative. Gonna bookmark this for whenever I need some help with math. Thanks.

I think you should maybe add the latest tutorials to the list in the original post, though, if possible. For now you're only on one page, so no big deal, but if you keep going you'll end up with the tutorials lost in between posts and pages, and may become hard to find.
userXDev
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 04:40:56 AM »

Thanks for sharing this, always nice to have some maths tuts related to gaming  Beer!
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 11:39:47 AM »

This is a nice inniciative. Gonna bookmark this for whenever I need some help with math. Thanks.

I think you should maybe add the latest tutorials to the list in the original post, though, if possible. For now you're only on one page, so no big deal, but if you keep going you'll end up with the tutorials lost in between posts and pages, and may become hard to find.

That's true, but I'm really really really lazy. Smiley

I should actually just remove all links and link directly to the table of contents post.  When I started the series, it didn't exist, so I announced them as I created them.

By the way, to the community, any requests?  I've been somewhat idle on creating more, but am always open to requests... if I can.
samhowie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 01:49:08 PM »

This may not suit your recipe style tutorials, but an introduction to vector math may be useful to your readers.

So far I have seen a lot of great explanations of how to achieve results with trigonometry. Many of these same results could be explained with vector math.

You could even reuse some of your old topics in the introduction to Vector maths. This may help your readers appreciate the relationship between trigonometry and vector math.

I could see the following tutorials benefiting from an explanation using Vectors:

- Velocity and angular velocity
- Rotation around a point

gejben
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 11:42:10 PM »

Thanks! This is great.

My Bolg,with updates of what I'm working on
Skaruts
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 08:18:35 AM »

It's been a while since I last came in these forums... Sorry for bumping this. Don't know if I should, but...

If you're still doing any of this, one suggestion I could make is on how to deal with tiles and tilesets.

There's very simple math involved in that (drawing tiles, calculating the tile the mouse is on (or a selection controlled by keyboard) etc), but I'd love to have somewhere I could refer to every time I forget all that.

And if you can think of anything else of that sort...
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic