Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:15:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsChasm [2d action-rpg platformer]
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: Chasm [2d action-rpg platformer]  (Read 112343 times)
Ant
« Reply #120 on: January 14, 2013, 05:49:43 AM »

Saw this on Steam Greenlight and had to investigate, because it doesn't feel like it belongs on Steam and I voted no. Desura, though? All for it.

You are the worst humanoid.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 14, 2013, 06:03:56 AM »

Unvote for eobet.
motorherp
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 14, 2013, 06:21:36 AM »

Saw this on Steam Greenlight and had to investigate, because it doesn't feel like it belongs on Steam and I voted no. Desura, though? All for it.

I dont really understand this attitude that is plaguing steam greenlight.  Surely the games that belong on steam are the games that people want to play.  I'm curious, what is your criteria for "feels like it belongs on Steam"?  Do you also believe that games like Super Meatboy and FTL dont belong on steam?
Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 14, 2013, 07:04:36 AM »

I'm surprised to find someone at these forums that have this attitude towards greenlight. A greenlit game doesn't force you to buy it, nor will it make it harder for you to buy Hitman.

Having said that, I don't think this is the proper thread to discuss this =)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 07:41:46 AM by Hipshot » Logged

DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: January 14, 2013, 07:05:11 AM »

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. Honestly though, it is perfectly acceptable to think whatever you like. But there's already plenty of shit games on Steam, so it's not like unspoiled territory or something.

OK and to turn this post into something actually productive, here's a couple screenshots of my map editor I've been tidying up:

Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 14, 2013, 07:08:05 AM »

Being a level designer, I love to see new editors and it's fun seeing all these different indie-LEs that people are creating for their games.

Will this be shipped with the game?

DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: January 14, 2013, 07:16:15 AM »

Being a level designer, I love to see new editors and it's fun seeing all these different indie-LEs that people are creating for their games.

Will this be shipped with the game?

Thanks! I guess shipping with the game is a possibility, but it's kind of weird how it ties into the content pipeline. You give it your game's project directory with the un-compiled files, and it actually compiles its own .xnb's out of them. The reason for this is that it allows you to add new textures on the fly without closing the app, going back to the project, including them, recompiling, etc. If I remove that functionality, I believe it may be a bit less dependent on Visual Studio components (the background compiler).
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 07:25:44 AM by DiscordGames » Logged
Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: January 14, 2013, 07:31:52 AM »

Nice LE there!

This is unrelated to eobet's post, but I would get the chance to say I think getting the game to greenlight this early in development is a mistake, imho.

Greenlight is very different from Desura, not just for the kind of games you see there, but mainly because of the userbase. If you go for greenlight, you really want your game to look as much polished and complete looking as possible, otherwise you're going to get a lot of down-votes and, more importantly, not as many up-votes as you would like. A very good trailer with plenty of quality gameplay often times also is a big factor.

The Desura community is massively more positive when it comes to supporting promising games which are still in heavy-development mode.

This isn't to say you can't get an in-development game to be greenlit with relative ease, numerous examples are there, ie Secrets of Grindea made it pretty successfully. You may want to take a look at both the devlog here on TIGS and the greenlight page.

Also not to be underestimated, those guys worked pretty hard on community-building (official website, devlogging, blogging, game on Desura, game showed to the public in a number of public events, closed Beta access given to selected players), and the game appeared on Greenlight only after that. I'm not at all sure about how much of this was planned ahead vs was just by luck/coincidence, but that's a good indication for the kind of stuff you need to fare well and get a chance to be greenlit more easily.

I up-voted Chasm on greenlight, of course, but this is just my little piece of advice.

DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: January 14, 2013, 07:44:17 AM »

Nice LE there!

This is unrelated to eobet's post, but I would get the chance to say I think getting the game to greenlight this early in development is a mistake, imho.

I was feeling the same more or less when I put it up. I originally just created the page but kept it hidden until I thought it was far enough along. When the last video came out we got a crazy response from r/IndieGaming, so I decided to unhide it on Greenlight and see how it did. For the last 3 days we've gotten an insane response on there, and the chart has regularly shown we're getting anywhere from double to quadruple the votes that the average game in the Top 100 is getting a day.

For that reason, I've just simply left the game up on there. I also feel it's probably too early, but I think people are just incredibly excited to have some sort of Metroidvania on PC at all. Maybe we're just lucky in that regard that we're filling a niche no one else is?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 07:49:37 AM by DiscordGames » Logged
Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: January 14, 2013, 07:48:50 AM »

Yeh, that might as well be.

I mean, the game looks great and it's certainly promising but despite all of that, if I was your shoes at least, I would have waited until I could have showed, say, the first game area in highly polished and pretty much complete state. That's only me though.

But alas, good to hear Chasm is getting good feedback, I certainly hope you get greenlit asap <3

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 14, 2013, 08:46:48 AM »

I noticed there is a mismatch between the games visual style, music, and sound effects.

You've got PSX era graphics mixed with NES style sounds and early DOS SB-type music, it feels weird to me.  Sad

edit:
Oh man that cheesy level up notification, you might want to tighten that up. :p
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 08:54:48 AM by Ben_Hurr » Logged
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: January 14, 2013, 08:54:55 AM »

I noticed there is a mismatch between the games visual style, music, and sound effects.

You've got PSX era graphics mixed with NES style sounds and early DOS SB-type music, it feels weird to me.  Sad

All of the sound effects are temporary ones generated by BFXR. What is DOS SB-type music? Also, I'd say the graphics are closer to SNES than PSX.
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 14, 2013, 09:04:43 AM »

It sounds sort of like this:

Not necessarily bad, but very synth-ey, and not very fitting in a fantasy game.

Also, I'd say the graphics are closer to SNES than PSX.
Well, it doesn't really matter.  It's just that it looks way better than it sounds, and if the sounds are placeholder that'd be why.  Tongue

Sorry if I came off as shitting on your parade, I just noticed you have a potential best-seller here if only there was some refinement.  Polishing diamonds and all that. Gentleman
JigxorAndy
Level 6

Working on Dungeon Dashers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: January 14, 2013, 09:05:18 AM »

The graphics on this game are stunning! Keep it up!

Twitter / Dungeon Dashers: Website / Steam Store
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: January 14, 2013, 09:11:38 AM »

Sorry if I came off as shitting on your parade, I just noticed you have a potential best-seller here if only there was some refinement.  Polishing diamonds and all that. Gentleman

LOL! Nah, it's fine, just interested in where you're coming from. Smiley

The graphics on this game are stunning! Keep it up!

Thank you kindly!
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2013, 09:31:52 AM »

Yeah, no problem here.  Just unity between your different presentations (art/sound/music) is something to think about, and something I've noticed lacking lately in the indie field.

Initial impressions weren't as positive for me, though. The guy put on a helmet in the first video but it didn't show up on the character. Bad, bad form!

I like this comment, because I'm not sure why anyone would expect that at all.  Only a handful of 2d games actually did this, most of which are made by large companies with the time and money to do it.

DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: January 14, 2013, 09:36:29 AM »

Yeah, no problem here.  Just unity between your different presentations (art/sound/music) is something to think about, and something I've noticed lacking lately in the indie field.

Initial impressions weren't as positive for me, though. The guy put on a helmet in the first video but it didn't show up on the character. Bad, bad form!

I like this comment, because I'm not sure why anyone would expect that at all.  Only a handful of 2d games actually did this, most of which are made by large companies with the time and money to do it.

Yea, I don't think people realize how complicated that actually is for pixel games! We'd have to make a variation of every player animation with a different helmet.. don't think that's too realistic! :D

Only way around I know is to have shit animations, and mount the items on in-game.. but that's not what we're going for at all. Whatever happened to imaginations?
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 14, 2013, 09:50:34 AM »

Only way around I know is to have shit animations, and mount the items on in-game.. but that's not what we're going for at all. Whatever happened to imaginations?
I think that's how terraria does it.  Tongue

But yeah.  If you're doing it so the game reflects each piece of equipment, like hats, boots, pants, etc, you have to break the player up into those pieces.  That means we'd have to animate different sets of arms, heads, legs for each player animation, for each piece of equipment. Concerned

Personally in the thing I'm working on, I'd just change appearence based on a large overall piece of equipment, like a full suit of armor or a robe.  But even that means redoing each player animation for each piece of equipment like that.
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2013, 09:57:14 AM »

I think that's how terraria does it.  Tongue

But yeah.  If you're doing it so the game reflects each piece of equipment, like hats, boots, pants, etc, you have to break the player up into those pieces.  That means we'd have to animate different sets of arms, heads, legs for each player animation, for each piece of equipment. Concerned

Personally in the thing I'm working on, I'd just change appearence based on a large overall piece of equipment, like a full suit of armor or a robe.  But even that means redoing each player animation for each piece of equipment like that.

That's actually what were planning on doing. Whatever kind of armor is equipped to your body slot, you get a matching style. So it won't be perfect (leather studded armor and leather hide would use same leather-version sprite), but it's better than nothing.
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 14, 2013, 09:58:38 AM »

Yeah its still definately a nice touch, and much more sane to do.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic