Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 08:03:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsChasm [2d action-rpg platformer]
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: Chasm [2d action-rpg platformer]  (Read 111626 times)
Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 14, 2013, 10:02:40 AM »

Some things are just simpler in 3d, even if it sounds simpler with 2d.

DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: January 14, 2013, 11:33:22 PM »

I am now watching this thread like THE EYE OF SAURON. Looks ace! Smiley

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
Pedrosanchau
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2013, 02:12:35 AM »

Keep it up. MetroidVania are so rare.
beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 15, 2013, 04:28:57 AM »

It sounds sort of like this:

Not necessarily bad, but very synth-ey, and not very fitting in a fantasy game.

Also, I'd say the graphics are closer to SNES than PSX.
Well, it doesn't really matter.  It's just that it looks way better than it sounds, and if the sounds are placeholder that'd be why.  Tongue

Sorry if I came off as shitting on your parade, I just noticed you have a potential best-seller here if only there was some refinement.  Polishing diamonds and all that. Gentleman

Im not sure but to my knowledge Metroidvania type of games (Sadly) are not guarantee best-seller even if the games is Super B. All of Metroid and Casltevania types of Metroidvania games had sold pretty badly. This game may sell the same or more than Cave story and I think its has more pontential sell even better if the game is sandbox.. Im not 100% sure...  Maybe i'm ignorant.

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: January 15, 2013, 05:36:02 AM »

No game is a guaranteed bestseller, it all comes down to quality of the game and managing to hit the right market. Luck being involved as well ofc.

That being said, there have been quite some games in the genre to sell more than decently. Maybe not breaching into top-sellers history, but still making huge cash. Keep in mind, you don't always need to sell hundreds of thousands of copies for your game to be considered successful.

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: January 15, 2013, 05:41:43 AM »

I love the crisp look of those pixels - yummy.
I think the look has a lot of Secret of Mana in it, which is a good thing IMHO.
As for the whole 2D pixebased RPG platformer, the most frightening thing to me is usually the whole character customization and having to redo all the animations for the different equipment layers.
Keep going!

beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 15, 2013, 07:32:21 AM »

No game is a guaranteed bestseller, it all comes down to quality of the game and managing to hit the right market. Luck being involved as well ofc.

Yeah I agree but somehow Metroidvania games has never had lucky with the market. Its pretty sad because metroidvania games are one of my favorite genre.

That being said, there have been quite some games in the genre to sell more than decently. Maybe not breaching into top-sellers history, but still making huge cash. Keep in mind, you don't always need to sell hundreds of thousands of copies for your game to be considered successful.

For bigger company I dont think it is much of cash but for indie developers it is jack pot.
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: January 15, 2013, 11:06:55 PM »

The last couple days have mostly consisted of rewriting lots of prototype code and expanding functionality, so there's not too much to show yet. The biggest single thing is that I added the concept of Spellbooks. You can equip them to any hand just like swords and potions, and they use new MP to cast. Here's a list of what I can recall since Sunday:

• Added Intelligence stat (INT) and Magic Points (MP), updated menus
  • Added new Spellbook weapon type, and made Fireball Spellbook
  • Added new DamageType enum to distinguish between types of damage (Cut, Fire, etc.)
  • Updated enemies to die appropriately (char or bisect)
  • Fixed tons of bugs, refactoring, etc.

Here's a look at the Fireball with some temporary graphics:

beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 15, 2013, 11:25:40 PM »

The last couple days have mostly consisted of rewriting lots of prototype code and expanding functionality, so there's not too much to show yet. The biggest single thing is that I added the concept of Spellbooks. You can equip them to any hand just like swords and potions, and they use new MP to cast. Here's a list of what I can recall since Sunday:

• Added Intelligence stat (INT) and Magic Points (MP), updated menus
  • Added new Spellbook weapon type, and made Fireball Spellbook
  • Added new DamageType enum to distinguish between types of damage (Cut, Fire, etc.)
  • Updated enemies to die appropriately (char or bisect)
  • Fixed tons of bugs, refactoring, etc.

Here's a look at the Fireball with some temporary graphics:

How much spells you can equip?
egoitzOsa
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: January 16, 2013, 12:41:21 AM »

One more vote up for you on Greenlight. Really nice job!

R.D.
Level 2

Making a game about balls. Yepp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: January 16, 2013, 05:23:30 AM »

Looks nice, the only thing which troubles me is the animation on the hero. I could imagine a 180° turn with the hand streched out would look nice and also give the game more motion. The game really deserves super awesome animations because the graphics are way to awesome.

the particles are really sweet. I like such small particles just falling on the ground. Maybe a nice splash animation on hit would give the attack more visual power.

dito Smiley

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: January 16, 2013, 05:44:05 AM »

voted on gl too, I hope u get there, are pre-orders available?

Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 16, 2013, 06:52:41 AM »

Discord, I think you should center those numbers above the head of the owner, instead of now, at the edge of the sprite(?).

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: January 16, 2013, 07:51:01 AM »

I think the standing animation could be more bouncy. Instead of [1, 2, 3, 2], it could be [1, 2, 2, 3, 2, 2], or something to that effect.

nickgravelyn
« Reply #154 on: January 16, 2013, 08:17:40 AM »

As usual an awesome looking feature. I'd have the eye dissolve into dust as if it had been incinerated. Just some nice particles, maybe have them feel "lighter" than the rest so they don't fall as fast. But either way I think that'd be a sweet way to have the eye go.
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: January 16, 2013, 08:35:36 AM »

How much spells you can equip?

You have two hands you can equip anything you'd like to. So you could hold a Fireball spellbook in one hand and a sword in the other, or two spellbooks, or two swords, or a potion and a spellbook, etc etc

Looks nice, the only thing which troubles me is the animation on the hero. I could imagine a 180° turn with the hand streched out would look nice and also give the game more motion. The game really deserves super awesome animations because the graphics are way to awesome.

the particles are really sweet. I like such small particles just falling on the ground. Maybe a nice splash animation on hit would give the attack more visual power.

dito Smiley

Thanks for the vote! That's just my crappy temporary hacked animation btw. I'm sure Tony will do something way cooler :D

voted on gl too, I hope u get there, are pre-orders available?

Thanks! Not yet, I'm thinking around March area I'll open it up for alpha type access.

Discord, I think you should center those numbers above the head of the owner, instead of now, at the edge of the sprite(?).

Yea, I was kinda going back and forth on that. I'll think about it some more, thanks for pointing out.

As usual an awesome looking feature. I'd have the eye dissolve into dust as if it had been incinerated. Just some nice particles, maybe have them feel "lighter" than the rest so they don't fall as fast. But either way I think that'd be a sweet way to have the eye go.

Haha, that would be pretty sweet Nick. This is mostly temporary stuff for now, so I'll definitely put some thought to that!
mysteriosum
Level 1

I just lost the game ;(

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: January 16, 2013, 08:40:27 AM »

Well, I said "Yes!" to it on Greenlight, because I'm pretty sure I really want to play this game. Good luck! :D

emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: January 16, 2013, 10:19:58 AM »

Ooh, this looks awesome.  Gave it a vote on Greenlight, it looks super clean.

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 16, 2013, 10:43:29 AM »

Looks great! Reminds me of an old game called Zeliard for some reason.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: January 16, 2013, 10:55:03 AM »

Ooh, this looks awesome.  Gave it a vote on Greenlight, it looks super clean.

Well, I said "Yes!" to it on Greenlight, because I'm pretty sure I really want to play this game. Good luck! :D

Thanks for the votes guys! Really appreciate it :D

Looks great! Reminds me of an old game called Zeliard for some reason.

Yea, someone else mentioned that before. I can definitely see some similarities! I had never heard of it, I guess it's an Amiga game?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic