Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:31:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsChasm [2d action-rpg platformer]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: Chasm [2d action-rpg platformer]  (Read 111612 times)
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 08:22:36 AM »

This has inspired me to learn XNA! Haha! Any advice?

Just start simple! I always recommend cloning old games like Pong, Space Invaders, etc before doing anything of your own :D
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2012, 08:24:02 AM »

Love the snowy cave and the first landscape. The dungeon with the tiled stones doesn't look as good, but I guess it's better for the random generation of levels?

Edit: btw, did you create these sounds yourself?

Thanks! The pink tiled stuff is actually temporary debug stuff. It will eventually look something like that Mine mockup I posted.

Yea, I created all the sounds for the game with BFXR (www.bfxr.net)
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2012, 11:03:29 PM »

Today was an incredibly productive day! First off, I finally uploaded a new video!

I added a treasure bag yesterday..

I also added camera smoothing and screen transitions (fades out/in) to polish things up a bit. I then tackled a bug that was driving me crazy where the camera would almost imperceptibly jitter when you landed from a jump (turns out you were going into the floor for a frame). And laslty, I rewrote a bit of the platforming code to smooth things out. Tony's on Christmas break now, so hopefully some new art coming soon Wink
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 11:13:16 PM by discordgames » Logged
poe
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2012, 09:49:17 AM »

I approve of the eyeball enemies.
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2012, 11:46:45 PM »

So I started playing with the Pause menu yesterday, and it turned into this whole cleanup-every-menu spree. It took me 2 days, but I got all the Pause/Map menus redone in a new (hopefully singular) style, and obeying the intergalactic laws of TV overscan:

This is my first time making User Interfaces for such a low resolution (320x180), so it's been crazy! I ended up staying pretty damn close to Symphony of the Nights interfaces, but trying to make it a bit more concise and clean.

Also, Tony has been working out a new body shape for characters. One thing we were trying to do is get rid of that annoying outline, since it doesn't seem to work well at such high scaling values. Here's the work-in-progress (clothing style temporary):

« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 11:55:23 PM by discordgames » Logged
Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2012, 02:28:01 AM »

Damn you guys make too awesome lookin' games  My Word!

Followin'

Atrus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2012, 08:37:46 AM »

oh boy! oh boy! oh boy! oh boy! oh boy! oh boy! oh boy! oh boy!
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2012, 08:53:55 AM »

Great UI, and again, I like the graphics. The new character is a WIP, right? Otherwise, the pose is a bit too stiff. Also, I liked the original style. Anyway, great work so far!

Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2012, 09:22:52 AM »

Those trees looks really good with that fog!

Your items and so, are they also generated as you play, stats and such?

DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2012, 01:06:02 PM »

Those trees looks really good with that fog!

Your items and so, are they also generated as you play, stats and such?

Thanks! Right now none of the items are generated, it's all preset. I'm considering adding random stats to items though to make them unique, I just haven't figured out how I'm going to handle them (everything stacks naturally right now).

EDIT: I started actually thinking about the unique thing, and I think I have a solution :D Going to try it out now!

Great UI, and again, I like the graphics. The new character is a WIP, right? Otherwise, the pose is a bit too stiff. Also, I liked the original style. Anyway, great work so far!

Thanks! Yea, the character is still WIP. Some like the tiny style, some don't I guess :D Here's the latest revision..

« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 01:50:46 PM by discordgames » Logged
makallenz
Level 0

Game artist and animator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2012, 02:26:10 PM »

So excellent!  I look forward to the release!  Quick question.  How long did it take to pixel that tree?

Also I like the way the colors mesh specifically dude!!  Smiley
tred
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2012, 02:56:24 PM »

@Bitemore: Thank you for the kind comment! The tree took about 2 hours to finish. I spent a good amount of time trying to figure out how to get the texture right Smiley
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2012, 03:00:38 PM »

Very awesome!

Trystin
Level 4

Nyoom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2012, 04:33:48 PM »

Oh my gerd that art is orgasmic, I want more, I WANT MORE!  Hand Shake Left Waaagh! Hand Shake Right

DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2012, 12:09:15 AM »

After a (very well-timed) question above by Hipshot about unique items, I began thinking about how to handle them. I ended up rewriting a ton of the equipping/inventory system and changing how stacking works, but I got unique items working!

There's 3 levels of rarity right now: Common (white), Rare (blue), and Legendary (gold). Common items will stack together (ie. 6 Leather Caps), however Rare and Legendary items will remain separate. At the moment, Rare items get 1-3 random bonus stat points, while Legendary get 3-5 points. I'm thinking I'll probably add extra effects for items that will be fun to figure out on your own Wink

« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 12:14:36 AM by discordgames » Logged
tred
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2012, 08:42:29 PM »

Here's an updated mockup of everything I've been working on today and yesterday:

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2012, 08:49:45 PM »

Looks ace. I like that everything's colored (there's no pure black), very nice. I think the mountains in the background might contain too many shades in the light to dark transition, though. The dark side of the mountain looks really sharp, too.

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2012, 02:56:33 AM »

Gorgeous  My Word!

Caran Elmoth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2012, 03:03:59 AM »

I like the art style very much, but, from a practical point of view, I think the main character tends to blend a bit too much with the background. This didn't happen in the underground/cave mockups. I am now noticing that there was a bit of blackish border in those ones. Is that going to be in the outdoor levels too?

P. S.: the palette is gooooorgeous Shocked

DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2012, 11:48:30 PM »

I've spent the last couple days STILL working on inventory stuff. I decided being able to carry unlimited crap was very un-roguelike, so I added a weight system similar to the Elder Scrolls games.

Each item has a weight, and you have a max carry weight (based off your strength). If you go over your carry weight, your speed is drastically effected and you can't jump. You can now drop items from your inventory as well. Only thing left to do is a menu for stacked items asking how many to drop. Here's a screen:

Tony's also been working away on the surface, but I'll save that for another update!

Edit (12/28/12): OK tackled the menu for choosing how many of a stacked item to drop. Everything is working perfectly now, and I'm officially done with the inventory for a while!

« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 04:59:37 PM by discordgames » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic