Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:26:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsChasm [2d action-rpg platformer]
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: Chasm [2d action-rpg platformer]  (Read 111610 times)
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 25, 2013, 09:45:21 AM »

Yeah, clouds really don't move that much.
You might be able to get away with them not moving at all actually, but I'm going to guess you already tried that and decided them moving looked better.

DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: February 25, 2013, 10:01:00 AM »

1) Make the clouds move even slower, maybe this will make it look less jerky.

Final suggestion on the clouds would to just move them with parallax movement when the player walks, and then just randomly change their starting position every time the player leaves and returns to the overworld. Leaving it is probably fine too, but right now it really distracts from the beauty of the rest of the pixel art and animations.

Yeah, clouds really don't move that much.
You might be able to get away with them not moving at all actually, but I'm going to guess you already tried that and decided them moving looked better.

Hahaha ok.. crisis averted. I've slowed the clouds down people! :D
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 11:04:16 AM by DiscordGames » Logged
Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 25, 2013, 04:50:50 PM »

Keep clouds at their current speed.
However, gradually adjust each individual row in that timespan.
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: February 25, 2013, 05:14:18 PM »

Keep clouds at their current speed.
However, gradually adjust each individual row in that timespan.

I'm not sure what you mean, a pixel is either cloud or not.
Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 25, 2013, 05:20:26 PM »

Move each row of the cloud sprite individually, so that all adjustments are spread equally among what would be the time elapsed if the cloud moved all at once.

Say a cloud is 6 pixels tall and makes one movement left per second.

Bottom row of cloud sprite shifts left at Frame 10.
Row above at Frame 20.
etc
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: February 25, 2013, 05:29:50 PM »

Move each row of the cloud sprite individually, so that all adjustments are spread equally among what would be the time elapsed if the cloud moved all at once.

Say a cloud is 6 pixels tall and makes one movement left per second.

Bottom row of cloud sprite shifts left at Frame 10.
Row above at Frame 20.
etc

Interesting, I can't really visualize it in my head though. Have you seen that done on any games?
mason
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 25, 2013, 09:41:45 PM »

That pixel art is godlike. The world needs more SOTN-influenced games.

Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 25, 2013, 10:04:23 PM »

I don't recall it ever being done. It just felt like it would be the smoothest thing for pixel art.
Uykered
« Reply #228 on: February 26, 2013, 10:56:05 PM »

There is an interview with James here: http://www.bigsushi.fm/chasm/

I don't understand how you can work 12 hours a day, wow!
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: February 26, 2013, 11:05:33 PM »

There is an interview with James here: http://www.bigsushi.fm/chasm/

I don't understand how you can work 12 hours a day, wow!

Yea, me either sometimes :D Thanks for linking the interview btw, you beat me to it!

I've spent the last few days refactoring the enemy code so we can quickly get some content in here before GDC. Today we added rats!

kleiba
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 27, 2013, 04:16:23 AM »

The rats look awesome!  Hand Fork Left Hand Knife Right
Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 27, 2013, 04:39:10 AM »

That podcast was nice listening too!

S-ed
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 27, 2013, 02:21:16 PM »

Great.
I'm sure it'll find it's fans. My genre. =)

Not sure about clouds speed, idle speed etc (I think it should be tweaked at last).

What I've seen:
  • 'Flying' animation too simple. How about add one UP direction (just pushed off the ground), and one DOWN (falling and ready to land). I'd recommend to apply Squash and Stretch animation principle to it. Transactions between (idle/run -> pushing off -> falling -> landing/idle).
    Now falling looks like he ready to slam into the ground (in that pose ppl jumping from burning train on the bridge, to not break the legs).
  • Swinging in air = swinging on the ground? (his legs look like)
  • Lvl Up animation can be made like bless/sparcles around character, or steam evaporating. As soon as You good with particles it wouldn't be a problem.
  • IMHO but he's shoulders/elbows swing like crazy wile running. Maybe it should be more narrow.
  • Enemies don't affected by slashing em. It'll be more 'clear' to user if they're 'bounce' a little (depends on type).

RTFM
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: February 27, 2013, 02:54:30 PM »

Great.
I'm sure it'll find it's fans. My genre. =)

Not sure about clouds speed, idle speed etc (I think it should be tweaked at last).

What I've seen:
  • 'Flying' animation too simple. How about add one UP direction (just pushed off the ground), and one DOWN (falling and ready to land). I'd recommend to apply Squash and Stretch animation principle to it. Transactions between (idle/run -> pushing off -> falling -> landing/idle).
    Now falling looks like he ready to slam into the ground (in that pose ppl jumping from burning train on the bridge, to not break the legs).
  • Swinging in air = swinging on the ground? (his legs look like)
  • Lvl Up animation can be made like bless/sparcles around character, or steam evaporating. As soon as You good with particles it wouldn't be a problem.
  • IMHO but he's shoulders/elbows swing like crazy wile running. Maybe it should be more narrow.
  • Enemies don't affected by slashing em. It'll be more 'clear' to user if they're 'bounce' a little (depends on type).

Thanks for the feedback! We've almost completely redone the player animations since that last video, so there's now multiple jump and falling animations, etc. Hopefully we'll be able to show that off soon.

I agree about the Level Up as well, it needs enhanced for sure! I was just thinking about the enemy "bounciness", so I'll focus on getting some of that in.
unseven
« Reply #234 on: February 28, 2013, 07:25:51 PM »

You guys should see James's glow worms enemies! They're jaw dropping  Well, hello there!
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: February 28, 2013, 07:43:56 PM »

You guys should see James's glow worms enemies! They're jaw dropping  Well, hello there!

Shhhh! Not yet!
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: March 01, 2013, 06:56:15 PM »

You guys should see James's glow worms enemies! They're jaw dropping  Well, hello there!

Shhhh! Not yet!

I believe these are what he's talking about.. oh wait, what's that?! Cave troll!!1!

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: March 01, 2013, 11:16:05 PM »

too fast!

also relevant:

I'd go for more thoughtful idle animations than this, they're not enough compared to the rest of this wonderful game

Lexonite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: March 01, 2013, 11:31:52 PM »

I agree with ANtY. While it may be quicker to shift pieces around, it doesn't lend well to the overall sense of form. Considering the low amount of tones these characters are using, I don't understand why you wouldn't redraw each frame.

Ant
« Reply #239 on: March 01, 2013, 11:53:48 PM »

Yeah you have to sync that kind of movement with breathing with pauses at the height and a longer pause at the bottom. Otherwise looking fab.  Hand Thumbs Up Right
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic