Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411497 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:43:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsChasm [2d action-rpg platformer]
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: Chasm [2d action-rpg platformer]  (Read 112341 times)
Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: March 02, 2013, 02:34:43 AM »

I'm assuming most of the art being shown is still to be considered WIP (although being continually polished), otherwise I agree the hectic moving pixels in the idle animation are a pain in the eyes.

Regarding the latest pic, OMG so awesome. Good work guys!  Kiss

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: March 02, 2013, 03:15:01 AM »

This game looks brilliant and i've been lurking around here for a long time now. Could you explain what platform you are developing on and what you use to create your gorgeous pixel art graphics?

poe
« Reply #242 on: March 02, 2013, 08:07:06 AM »

This game looks brilliant and i've been lurking around here for a long time now. Could you explain what platform you are developing on and what you use to create your gorgeous pixel art graphics?

It's being developed with C# / XNA, and it's going to be on Windows, MAC, and linux.
Cheetah
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 02, 2013, 08:12:08 AM »

The sprite work continues to astound. The character design for this cave troll is exceptional as well.
unseven
« Reply #244 on: March 03, 2013, 06:32:38 PM »

I've got to say my word on this one. About pace, well, first of all they are not breathing, they're on fight stances. On Street Fighter, Ryu and most fighters don't breathe at the same pace of their stances. Then, idle animations don't last long in gameplay: player and enemies do a lot of things (walk, run, attack, jump, feel pain, die), so even if it's bothering you, it will be brief. Which also means they need to be flashy in order to be relevant, otherwise there wouldn't be need of them. I made some previous games in which some characters' idle animation were so subtle players didn't even notice. Lastly, see, it's kind of cartoonish. Characters have got rather big heads, no nose, no mouth, short arms and legs. It's also an action game. I don't see why they should be realistic, slow and potentially "boring" Smiley

But thanks anyway guys, some points were really helpful, like the knee bending (although the troll has bent k ees, the player could have a rework) and frame redraw Smiley when we got the priorities done, we should go back into those, our deadline is very tight!
Lexonite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: March 03, 2013, 09:01:42 PM »

I made some previous games in which some characters' idle animation were so subtle players didn't even notice.
If players don't notice, then why animate characters at all? A player that doesn't notice a subtle detail one way probably won't notice less subtle details in the same way. These graphics are great, created by a refined eye- so it's a bit conflicting in places where it lacks the same refinement. Note, This is just food for thought and not necessarily meant as critique.

nss_aries
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: March 04, 2013, 01:02:05 AM »

Keeping an eye on this! There's room for improvement but it's still early development and your doing good, in my opinion Smiley

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #247 on: March 04, 2013, 03:34:58 AM »

Whatever with other arguments but no matter how I look at it despite all other flaws these animations could have I still think it's all too fast, and I mean everything: gui animation, ceiling worm animation, troll and the guy, it reminds me of games where the fps wasn't locked and the game speed wasn't connected with delta_t. Actually the guy's idle animation is the closest to normal speed.

Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 04, 2013, 04:45:53 AM »

Whatever with other arguments but no matter how I look at it despite all other flaws these animations could have I still think it's all too fast, and I mean everything: gui animation, ceiling worm animation, troll and the guy, it reminds me of games where the fps wasn't locked and the game speed wasn't connected with delta_t. Actually the guy's idle animation is the closest to normal speed.

I agree with you, I think the entire image, with all animations, feels like it's in fast forward. Or, as you say, in a older game, where the FPS controlled the speed of animations.

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: March 04, 2013, 04:52:03 AM »

Agreed. Maybe in combat, when everything is flying around and the game is fast-paced, this would look good. But when stationary, everything is far too fast. Of course, the player will hardly ever stay still.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
nss_aries
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: March 04, 2013, 05:18:36 AM »

Maybe this impression is also due to the lack of "outro" animations (e. the sword cut: it goes horizontal, then it stops immediately). They're the most difficult to link though.

fylth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 04, 2013, 07:48:30 AM »

I first saw the latest image when I had some music with some heavy bass on, looked like the troll and the guy were rocking out
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: March 04, 2013, 09:17:13 AM »

Thanks for the feedback everyone, but this image was seriously not meant for such intense scrutiny. There's several major things wrong with including the fact ITS NOT THE SAME FRAMERATE AS THE GAME. It's a GIF of a 60FPS game and badly looped at that ><

Anyway, back to work..
DanFessler
Pixelhead
Level 3

aka Indigo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: March 04, 2013, 10:58:53 AM »

Simply beautiful.  Makes me want to go back to pixel art again.

tred
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 04, 2013, 12:29:55 PM »

Thanks Dan! Means a lot coming from such an inspirational artist  Smiley
Lexonite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: March 04, 2013, 06:15:56 PM »

Makes me want to go back to pixel art again.
Why'd you leave it?  Cry

DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #256 on: March 04, 2013, 10:06:39 PM »

Tony's been back in the game, and working incredibly hard the past few days on basically redoing the mine artwork. "Mine blowing" is the appropriate terminology, I think?

« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 10:24:25 PM by DiscordGames » Logged
HyMyNameIsMatt
Level 1

Vernal Edge

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 04, 2013, 11:08:08 PM »

Want.

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: March 04, 2013, 11:35:21 PM »

Where would you recommend starting if I wanted to learn some more advanced pixel art techniques and just out of  interest how long have you been doing pixel art?

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: March 05, 2013, 12:22:55 AM »

Superb
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic