Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:49:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsChasm [2d action-rpg platformer]
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: Chasm [2d action-rpg platformer]  (Read 111592 times)
spolvid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 15, 2013, 12:10:50 PM »

Just played the demo, seems like the start of something really cool. My main issue is that constantly pausing the game to use health items whenever your health gets too low is kind of a pain and breaks flow. Maybe have some kind of "quick health" button like in Dead Space or have an option for health items to automatically be used when picked up if they wouldn't be wasted like in Bastion?
vivavolt
Level 2

butts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #321 on: April 19, 2013, 09:32:00 PM »

First off, this game is great and is very similar to the sort of game I've always wanted to make myself.

I think maybe you should be able to equip one item for quick use, and then somehow not be able to heal in the pause menu? I think being able to pause the game and heal yourself basically breaks the difficulty. I found it really easy since whenever I got less than half HP and was in trouble I could just pause the game and use healing items. As in, I didn't come close to dying while beating the demo, and I'm not that good at Castlevania! Also; book of blades stops drop worms being hard at all.

Obviously playing with a keyboard isn't ideal (but I had no controller with me when I tried) but I found to controls to be a little confusing. I just didn't expect D to be yes half the time? I feel like A could universally be YES and S could be universally NO.

I also tried to close the menu from the inventory using ENTER many times but that uses the item you've highlighted. Wasted a lot of potions.

"The scope of attacks are too limited. I'd prefer to be able to direct attacks up and down, to be honest, as well as the current left and right. I guess down is half-done already with the crouching attacks, but there's certainly a case for attacking upward, if you ask me. Like the cases above (ha ha). Similarly there were a few places where a downward-while-jumping attack could be useful, like the various nests of rats on short platforms, leaving little space to drop in without getting hit."

I think hitting higher or lower should be weapon dependent, as in maybe axes swing overhead and hit high and daggers hit low (the swords vs daggers already show this a bit). I think combos would be a nice addition but not controlling attack directions.

I don't know if this is how you're meant to be able to play either, but if you are above a lizardman with a dagger by one tile, and you crouch and attack you can hit him while he has no chance of hitting you.

PS: I know this is a demo but please do not leave the bat AI the way it is. When they hit my from behind sometimes I would turn around? Not what I wanted.

Having said all that, It's possible my opinions are just skewed since I play a lot of dark souls and want to make a game similar to this.

DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #322 on: April 19, 2013, 11:42:00 PM »

First off, this game is great and is very similar to the sort of game I've always wanted to make myself.

I think maybe you should be able to equip one item for quick use, and then somehow not be able to heal in the pause menu? I think being able to pause the game and heal yourself basically breaks the difficulty. I found it really easy since whenever I got less than half HP and was in trouble I could just pause the game and use healing items. As in, I didn't come close to dying while beating the demo, and I'm not that good at Castlevania! Also; book of blades stops drop worms being hard at all.

Obviously playing with a keyboard isn't ideal (but I had no controller with me when I tried) but I found to controls to be a little confusing. I just didn't expect D to be yes half the time? I feel like A could universally be YES and S could be universally NO.

I also tried to close the menu from the inventory using ENTER many times but that uses the item you've highlighted. Wasted a lot of potions.

We've got an update of the demo coming, and I've fixed most of the control issues you've mentioned (universal A for accept, enter to close menu) and added user keyboard mappings as well. We'll be starting signups for closed testing tomorrow I believe, so I'll post the link when I get a chance. Thanks for the feedback!

Ps. I majorly tweaked the bats too Wink
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #323 on: April 20, 2013, 03:35:04 AM »

Really happy to hear about the changes. I played it on Xbox Pad yesterday and while it's a lot better, the menus are still a bit hinky so these other changes sound encouraging. Plus, while I'm getting the hang of the bats (although I'm happy to hear they're changing anyhoo), those crystal slimes bastards can sod right off with their massive jump from outside your effective attacking range to right on top of you in an instant.

Can't wait for the new demo, glad I backed this! Smiley

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #324 on: April 20, 2013, 10:33:45 AM »

Can't wait for the new demo, glad I backed this! Smiley

Good to hear :D Obligatory teaser:

Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 20, 2013, 10:34:40 AM »

You created the game and somehow managed to get NEGATIVE 27 points.
I hope you're proud.
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #326 on: April 20, 2013, 10:38:54 AM »

You created the game and somehow managed to get NEGATIVE 27 points.
I hope you're proud.

I never said I was GOOD at it! I just ran to the first room and killed myself, cut me some slack! Tongue

EDIT:

Signups for the closed demo testing are up now, more info here.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 11:53:06 AM by DiscordGames » Logged
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: April 20, 2013, 02:16:41 PM »

I see Chasm is featured on Polygon now too.. Smiley
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #328 on: April 21, 2013, 04:21:47 PM »

Another teaser for demo update coming soon.

Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #329 on: April 21, 2013, 05:16:18 PM »

I love the rendering of the stalactites!  Kiss

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: April 21, 2013, 05:56:52 PM »

So damn good...

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #331 on: April 23, 2013, 01:59:19 AM »

Wow, that update to that background is so great! The older one was great, but the newer one has so much more to look at! I love the more natural-looking floor and ceiling, too.

DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #332 on: April 25, 2013, 10:52:05 AM »

Just updated the main post with new brand new screenshots of the graphics overhaul.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #333 on: April 25, 2013, 11:03:13 AM »

Yes, new backgrounds are lush!!
Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #334 on: April 25, 2013, 12:52:21 PM »

It looks like the Kickstarter has really slowed down... hope it can make it.

I feel like there is definitely a "sweet spot" for funding games like this. I almost feel like if you guys had set the goal to $75,000 then you'd have $150k right now.

It had a huge start and then it's tapered down a lot... I think had you nearly reached your goal in 5-10 days time ($75000) it would show people the game is way ahead of schedule and I think this would buy you more backers out of sheer popularity. (people might be more willing to back your project when they see it reached 100% funding in a very short time)

Honestly I can't be totally sure it would have worked, but you look at a game like Shovel Knight asking $75k only to blow that away with $311k... or a game like Delver's Drop, which also asked $75k and earned $150k, it would seem that $75k is more of the sweet spot to ask for.

More than that, and you might not build enough momentum to reach your actual $150k goal. I mean it's totally risky though... if you really absolutely need $150k, kickstarting to $75k and only getting that much would really suck. Just a thought though... back to your regularly scheduled updates.

DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #335 on: April 25, 2013, 01:22:38 PM »

It looks like the Kickstarter has really slowed down... hope it can make it.

I feel like there is definitely a "sweet spot" for funding games like this. I almost feel like if you guys had set the goal to $75,000 then you'd have $150k right now.

It had a huge start and then it's tapered down a lot... I think had you nearly reached your goal in 5-10 days time ($75000) it would show people the game is way ahead of schedule and I think this would buy you more backers out of sheer popularity. (people might be more willing to back your project when they see it reached 100% funding in a very short time)

Honestly I can't be totally sure it would have worked, but you look at a game like Shovel Knight asking $75k only to blow that away with $311k... or a game like Delver's Drop, which also asked $75k and earned $150k, it would seem that $75k is more of the sweet spot to ask for.

More than that, and you might not build enough momentum to reach your actual $150k goal. I mean it's totally risky though... if you really absolutely need $150k, kickstarting to $75k and only getting that much would really suck. Just a thought though... back to your regularly scheduled updates.

We're way ahead of Shovel Knight when comparing time into campaigns. Shovel Knight didn't reach their goal of 75k until 16 days into their campaign I believe, while we're at almost 100k in 14 days.

Beyond that, why would we ask for less than we need to make the game? Seems irresponsible to me.
Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #336 on: April 25, 2013, 01:25:31 PM »

Just updated the main post with new brand new screenshots of the graphics overhaul.

Take the money you need and make a sweet game. The only thing i see which i can directly critique is how wood ground beams fucks with the perspective quite a lot.

DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #337 on: April 25, 2013, 01:26:48 PM »

Take the money you need and make a sweet game. The only thing i see which i can directly critique is how wood ground beams fucks with the perspective quite a lot.

Thanks! Yea, it was a bit of a rush job, but large improvement over the previous Wink
Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #338 on: April 25, 2013, 01:40:13 PM »

I'd agree that KS projects being past their goal seems to motivate people to pledge (because people seem to understand how KS works about as well as they understand how eBay works, on the whole). But to be honest, the curve of pledges against time looks more or less like every other project I've backed. It's often a kind of... sideways, reversed 'S' shape - starts off and finishes strong, with a long lull in the middle. If anything I'd be worried if a campaign didn't have a strong start and then taper off for a bit, because it would suggest that the people running it didn't do a very good job promoting their project before launch!

The potential problem I see for Chasm is that the majority of the time I see a KS project get a big up-tick in the middle of a campaign it's because they've put cool extras in the rewards that people can get by upping their pledge, and I don't see what kind of stuff they can easily add. Still, it's at two-thirds of the funding halfway through the campaign, so it's not like all hope is lost!

Beyond that, why would we ask for less than we need to make the game? Seems irresponsible to me.

Because:

- people are (stupidly) more likely to put money into a KS project which is guaranteed to succeed. I expect that once you pass your goal you'll see a sudden influx of more funds. It's like people think that KS is going to take their money anyway, and they're only guaranteed to get something back if the goal is met.

- it's been widely mooted that KS is more likely to feature your project, get it into the editor's picks lists and so on if you're at a higher percentage of the goal funding - possibly because it makes them look better and possibly because they figure those projects are more likely to be the worthwhile ones.

It's certainly something that (for example) the Cool Mini Or Not people have deliberately done more than once while running their (generally wildly successful) miniatures board game KS campaigns. Although I guess they're probably in the position to make their games regardless of how many people 'preorder' through KS.

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #339 on: April 25, 2013, 01:44:35 PM »

The potential problem I see for Chasm is that the majority of the time I see a KS project get a big up-tick in the middle of a campaign it's because they've put cool extras in the rewards that people can get by upping their pledge, and I don't see what kind of stuff they can easily add. Still, it's at two-thirds of the funding halfway through the campaign, so it's not like all hope is lost!

- people are (stupidly) more likely to put money into a KS project which is guaranteed to succeed. I expect that once you pass your goal you'll see a sudden influx of more funds. It's like people think that KS is going to take their money anyway, and they're only guaranteed to get something back if the goal is met.

- it's been widely mooted that KS is more likely to feature your project, get it into the editor's picks lists and so on if you're at a higher percentage of the goal funding - possibly because it makes them look better and possibly because they figure those projects are more likely to be the worthwhile ones.

It's certainly something that (for example) the Cool Mini Or Not people have deliberately done more than once while running their (generally wildly successful) miniatures board game KS campaigns. Although I guess they're probably in the position to make their games regardless of how many people 'preorder' through KS.

We've been working super hard on this demo update, new trailer, and new screenshots going out tomorrow, so I'm hoping this will give our lull a kick in the ass and start the 2nd half off strong.

I see your point on the funding, but we didn't know how successful it was going to be, and wanted to make sure our worst case (besides not getting funded at all) was what we needed to get it done.

Also, we were a Kickstarter Staff Pick as soon as we launched, which is partially why the campaign took off so quickly. I think they liked the simple reward tiers and that the page wasnt 6 miles long of stupid images and maps trying to explain reward tiers.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic