Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:39:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsChasm [2d action-rpg platformer]
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21
Print
Author Topic: Chasm [2d action-rpg platformer]  (Read 111620 times)
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #340 on: April 25, 2013, 02:55:28 PM »

Beyond that, why would we ask for less than we need to make the game? Seems irresponsible to me.

Because:

SNIP

None of those deal with the fact that if they'd asked for $75,000 (while needing $150,000) and then only made $100,000 they'd have been bound by the terms of KickStarter to finish the project despite not having enough money. And pointing to how much they've made and are trending towards means nothing - hindsight is 20:20.

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #341 on: April 25, 2013, 03:00:33 PM »

Beyond that, why would we ask for less than we need to make the game? Seems irresponsible to me.

Because:

SNIP

None of those deal with the fact that if they'd asked for $75,000 (while needing $150,000) and then only made $100,000 they'd have been bound by the terms of KickStarter to finish the project despite not having enough money. And pointing to how much they've made and are trending towards means nothing - hindsight is 20:20.

Exactly :D Btw, the demo update should be out tonight sometime. You were a big proponent of getting me to add mappable keyboard controls haha. Hopefully it will be more enjoyable for you. We worked hard to fix or improve the major stuff people reported.
Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #342 on: April 25, 2013, 03:23:30 PM »

I'm not saying they should have done it; I'm saying those are some reasons that might have motivated them to do it. I can totally understand why someone with $not-enough-money-to-fund-the-whole-project-themselves in the bank wouldn't take that risk. Hence the note that CoolMini is in a different situation because they almost certainly can afford to swallow the costs if the KS campaign doesn't pay out big.

I'd probably have tried to find the minimum amount I could possibly release a game for and set the funding target for that, though, for the reasons mentioned before. For example: the new tileset seen in the latest screenshots looks fantastic, but it's not absolutely necessary for the game to work, it's just prettier. That could have been a "Stretch Goal - $150k: Upgrade the tilesets with a larger number of extra unique tiles, special floor and ceiling graphics and nice parallax layers in the background instead of the static flat backgrounds in the current demo".

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 25, 2013, 06:35:58 PM »

$150k is going to support these people's lives, at the bare minimum, for the rest of the year. They cannot ask for any less because of the sheer chance they don't get enough to live off of but still have to commit to making the game, anyway.
Craftyman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 25, 2013, 07:05:15 PM »

Are you planning on adding momentum? The jumps feel kind of floaty. Really loving the art style/sound a lot. Looking forward to further updates.
DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #345 on: April 25, 2013, 07:10:35 PM »

Are you planning on adding momentum? The jumps feel kind of floaty. Really loving the art style/sound a lot. Looking forward to further updates.

No plan to at the moment. We'll be revisting everything after the Kickstarter though. This is kinda prototype, so anything is liable to change.

The latest demo with improved graphics, new game modes, bug fixes, and tweaks is now available from the Kickstarter page!
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #346 on: April 30, 2013, 02:46:46 AM »

I feel that doing half jumps feels broken, as I stop suddenly in mid air. I love the atmosphere: no need to change that. Combat is quite meh. As I only have two attacks, and cannot move while attacking, I pretty much just wait in one place and swipe at rats. Because they don't move back when hit, they then hit me. Overall, refine the combat and movement, and you'll have a great game.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Eldboll
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #347 on: April 30, 2013, 03:36:04 AM »

I played it, the look of it is brilliant. One of the prettiest games I've played in recent memory hands down. I think the combat falls behind a bit though, mainly because of the behaviors of the enemies. I would really love to see more of them get "proper" attacks instead of "they hurt you when they touch you". Wasn't a big fan of some of the seemingly random movement patterns some enemies had either, but I didn't play enough to get a really good feel about them. The bat in particular comes to mind, and the worms/larva had a bad habit och spazzing out at the edge of platforms.

I love the concept and look of the game, definitely a game I would love to play or make. Fine tune the combat a bit and I think you got a good chance of making some money!

Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 30, 2013, 05:07:25 AM »

If I let go of the jump button, I want to stop rising. No problem there for me. Combat is meh because we only have two weapons available at the moment, and mockup enemy behaviors. It will change down the line, I'm sure. In my opinion, I have just the right amount of control when attacking, though I'm used to Castlevania and La-Mulana.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #349 on: April 30, 2013, 05:09:30 AM »

If I let go of the jump button, I want to stop rising. No problem there for me.

I'm fine with stopping the rise. It's just that the animation suddenly switches from rising to falling, so it feels really jerky.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #350 on: April 30, 2013, 05:16:21 AM »

Combat is quite meh. As I only have two attacks, and cannot move while attacking, I pretty much just wait in one place and swipe at rats. Because they don't move back when hit, they then hit me.

While I agree that combat could still be spiced up a bit:

- You can certainly attack while jumping, at the very least - and you can more or less use Book of Blades on the run with impunity.

-  If enemies are moving when you hit them they certainly halt; if they're in the air they bounce back (at least, the crystal-slimes (or whatever those things are called) do. If you're finding that you just sit there trading blows until one of you dies, I'm afraid that's down to your technique - in the latest demo at least it's possible to finish off any of the enemies without getting hit once. A bit tricky in a couple of cases, but certainly possible. Try waiting to one side of the enemy and hitting them as they approach you to stop them outside of their attack range, then hit again to finish them off as they start to approach again. Time your hits, and don't just hammer the attack button until they're dead.

- The latest demo made the roll invulnerable, which greatly increases the options in combat. It's a big step towards an engaging combat system, IMO.

I'm sure the recent demo made the game significantly easier, though, which was a little disappointing.

DiscordGames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #351 on: April 30, 2013, 12:18:23 PM »

So this game is coming early 2014 right? How do you guys can make this game in one year?

Yea, we're shooting for May 2014. The Kickstarter is to help get all 5 of us full-time on it so we can get it done quickly. The engine and tools are ready to go, so it'll be mostly content production from here out.
beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 30, 2013, 12:28:27 PM »

So this game is coming early 2014 right? How do you guys can make this game in one year?

Yea, we're shooting for May 2014. The Kickstarter is to help get all 5 of us full-time on it so we can get it done quickly. The engine and tools are ready to go, so it'll be mostly content production from here out.

I believe you can make this game in one year but I think the game quality is going to suffer for one year schedule. I really hope im wrong.
beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 30, 2013, 01:26:34 PM »

Combat is quite meh. As I only have two attacks, and cannot move while attacking, I pretty much just wait in one place and swipe at rats. Because they don't move back when hit, they then hit me.

While I agree that combat could still be spiced up a bit:

- You can certainly attack while jumping, at the very least - and you can more or less use Book of Blades on the run with impunity.

-  If enemies are moving when you hit them they certainly halt; if they're in the air they bounce back (at least, the crystal-slimes (or whatever those things are called) do. If you're finding that you just sit there trading blows until one of you dies, I'm afraid that's down to your technique - in the latest demo at least it's possible to finish off any of the enemies without getting hit once. A bit tricky in a couple of cases, but certainly possible. Try waiting to one side of the enemy and hitting them as they approach you to stop them outside of their attack range, then hit again to finish them off as they start to approach again. Time your hits, and don't just hammer the attack button until they're dead.

- The latest demo made the roll invulnerable, which greatly increases the options in combat. It's a big step towards an engaging combat system, IMO.

I'm sure the recent demo made the game significantly easier, though, which was a little disappointing.

I tried new demo and those rats killed me so many times.. Its really hard kill those monster without dying. Normal mode feels like a nightmare.. I think normal mode should be a easier for normal mode.
Craftyman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 30, 2013, 02:05:44 PM »

Really its the short weapon range and deadzones (if you're standing right above a rat you cant hit it with a sword swing) that makes combat difficult. The blade spell makes things easier but it's damage is low, so it's best used on the little critters like worms rats and bats at hard to reach places.

Will equipped items change how the character looks (armor, helmets, etc)? Weapons already do this to an extent so maybe?
Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #355 on: April 30, 2013, 02:13:32 PM »

I tried new demo and those rats killed me so many times.. Its really hard kill those monster without dying. Normal mode feels like a nightmare.. I think normal mode should be a easier for normal mode.

The easiest way to kill rats is to use Book of Blades from a distance - a single hit kills the small ones outright.

The next-easiest way is to stand still somewhere along their move path and crouch - when they get close, time a sword-swing to hit them, it's quite possible to hit them before they hurt you. If you have trouble with this, try using the knife instead - the attack damage comes out quicker after you hit the button.

For the larger ones you need at least two sword-swings, but since they halt their movement as soon as you hit them, you have time to retreat and then crouch and face them again before they start moving again, if you don't think your reactions are up to hitting them a second time after they start moving and before they hit you.

Realistically, the pause on the larger ones is plenty of time to move a bit closer and hit them again, but that's not so easy/straightforward, I guess.

After playing the original demo and now playing the revised one several times, the only times I get hit by rats these days are:
- when I'm being careless, and
- when there are lots of them swarming over a platform I have to drop down onto and there's no gap to drop into.

Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #356 on: May 01, 2013, 06:12:30 AM »

https://twitter.com/Cellusious/status/329564512837586944

Blink

beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 01, 2013, 07:08:29 AM »

The easiest way to kill rats is to use Book of Blades from a distance - a single hit kills the small ones outright.

The next-easiest way is to stand still somewhere along their move path and crouch - when they get close, time a sword-swing to hit them, it's quite possible to hit them before they hurt you. If you have trouble with this, try using the knife instead - the attack damage comes out quicker after you hit the button.

For the larger ones you need at least two sword-swings, but since they halt their movement as soon as you hit them, you have time to retreat and then crouch and face them again before they start moving again, if you don't think your reactions are up to hitting them a second time after they start moving and before they hit you.

Realistically, the pause on the larger ones is plenty of time to move a bit closer and hit them again, but that's not so easy/straightforward, I guess.

After playing the original demo and now playing the revised one several times, the only times I get hit by rats these days are:
- when I'm being careless, and
- when there are lots of them swarming over a platform I have to drop down onto and there's no gap to drop into.

Yeah you are right.. The thing why I died so many times is because I didn't use any energy. I used to like Super metroid system when enemy drop health..you fill you health without using menu equip.
Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 01, 2013, 07:10:02 AM »

This is closer to Castlevania, though, which uses the opposite. Enemies never gave you health. Instead, they sometimes drop hearts which let you use your items more. You have to play carefully in Chasm. Adjust your frame of mind.
beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 01, 2013, 07:41:12 AM »

This is closer to Castlevania, though, which uses the opposite. Enemies never gave you health. Instead, they sometimes drop hearts which let you use your items more. You have to play carefully in Chasm. Adjust your frame of mind.

Damn I didint even remember Sotn have same system as chasm.. It has been quite a long time when I played castlevania games... But the thing with Sotn is that you have more energy and those regular monster dont take much damaga from you.. So you dont need use much of heal.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic