Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:25:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs"Gravity Games Interactive" Devlogs
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: "Gravity Games Interactive" Devlogs  (Read 1155 times)
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2012, 07:42:51 PM »

Due to the fact that I constantly have many projects that I work on on and off, I've decided it would be best if I made this thread into a devlog for all my projects. I think its in everyones best interest if I stop clogging up the forums with devlog after devlog... Yes, I will eventually post a link in the Fire Breathers and Microcosmos threads here.

Highlights of the randomly assigned amount of time that no one really cares about:
Bytt Strikes Back Beta Title Screen:

Bytt Strikes Back Download Links:
Ludum Build (12/16/12)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 02:00:28 PM by Gravity Games » Logged
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 01:12:33 PM »

I know this is a tad bit of a useless post, but would anyone like to see some random crap from my main game project? I don't have much in the way of graphics done, but I've done a good bit of work on my engine, and I can hack together some concept "art" in paint real quick...
Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 02:35:01 PM »

Sure, it's your dev-log after all.
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 04:43:23 PM »

Alright this is a VERY early screenshot (the slopes and char don't even have transparancy), but might as well show the graphic style I may or may not go with. Feel free to say anything about how you think it looks, as long as the criticism is constructive!

Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 05:04:25 PM »

It would be better if you posted screenshots as well as gifs of your game in action(use LICEcap for gifs). I can't comment on the graphical style of your game until I see more, as this is only a rough prototype... although I think you should probably go with something retro like the old Atari Graphics.
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 05:25:16 PM »

Alright, I'll search LICEcap on google before my next screenshot post. Also, I've already decided that I'm going to try and go for a more 16-bit style when I start working on the final art. I don't mean to sound like I don't listen to criticism or anything, but I personally think that 16-bit graphics fit the game best. (Though I do plan to make different graphical "modes" where you can change the graphic and music styles and limitations to other eras of gaming, just for the lols, with the current ones being the default SNES/GBA-esque 16-bit, NES 8-bit, GB Monochrome, and Game Gear/ Master System 12-bit. Maybe I could add an atari-styled graphic set for this feature if it doesn't get scrapped, as that was one of my favorite eras.)
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 02:31:16 PM »

Figure I'd update this with some more screenshots from my current project. Unfortunately, I'm taking a break from Kyle the Caiman for the rest of the month (side note on KTC, the style is getting changed...AGAIN...), I'm making my Ludum Dare game into a full game before the end of the month (for One Game A Month 2013). Also, if anyone has any stage puzzle ideas they would be helpful!

Yeah. You can tell by the graphics that the Ludum Build was made in a rush. I do plan to change the graphics, but I'm doing that last. I plan to have the final game have one world and then keep updating it if it stays popular, kinda like Rovio always does. You can get the Ludum build here.

So yeah, stage puzzle ideas are appreciated (I hate coming up with ideas for puzzle-esque games...) and please report any bugs you find with the game. Just so you know whats already been fixed, here's a list:
Blok Spawn Bug - In the Ludum build, it is possible to place Blok troops underneath the level by sitting Bytt on the ground.
Elite Blok Preemptive Launch Bug - In the Ludum build of the game, Elite Bloks will fire at Sproing even when he's offscreen.
Screen Scroll Bug - In the Ludum build, you can screw up the scrolling by hitting the "Enter" key after Sproing enters the level.
Various AI improvements were also made, but report bugs anyway in case I missed something.

I'll try to get one more level done (which brings me up to 5) before I release the next build. See you then!
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 12:23:44 PM »

Well, I started redoing the art while I don't have any level ideas. How do you like the new Bytt sprite (left) versus the old (right)?:

Also, criticism on the art style is really appreciated, as I want to make this game look as good as possible (in case it matters, I'm going for a 16-bit retro feel).

EDIT: To avoid bumping this topic with another post, here's the beta title screen I'm working on:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 01:56:59 PM by Gravity Games » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic