Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:50:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralcheck this scam! (autonomous game console)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: check this scam! (autonomous game console)  (Read 5863 times)
Theophilus
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 09:52:42 AM »

Will the next generation gaming consoles turn out being the same re-cycled ideas and concepts? With the same updated graphics, new powerful hardware and recycled games thus bringing nothing truly revolutionary, innovative or fresh to the gaming genre? What do gamers want? Gamers crave challenge, unlimited game content, low cost games, and high quality games that won’t put them in the poor house! The wait is over - EnGeniux OTON X is coming!

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 10:06:51 AM »

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 11:12:42 AM »

I can't wait to play Super Tux on it!

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 11:36:49 AM »

The Oton is the future of indie game development.

Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 06:21:11 PM »

They should really manipulate the backers bar/numbers to make it look more popular.

Although if they haven't, that means that 10 people are stupid enough to have given them money...
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2012, 08:48:24 PM »

Pfffffff, you guys are all suckers.  You can keep your "special programming skills".  With the OTON, I'll be making the next Portal in mere minutes- nay, SECONDS!

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
ClayB
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 10:26:22 PM »

welp, the mortgage can wait!

can't wait to boot this up so I can turn  Hand Any Key into  Wizard
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2012, 08:43:10 AM »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mojobones/gametron-1000

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2012, 09:06:34 AM »

Far from a simple collection of mini-games

Except that's exactly what it is. I'm not sure how interested I am in infinite games!!!, if they're all just randomly generated, poorer versions of already existing really simple games.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2012, 07:24:03 PM »

At least this admits that it's just taking a bunch of preset game elements and mashing them together randomly.

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
Maud'Dib Atreides
Level 4

Obsessed with space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2012, 08:37:51 PM »

now my favorite programming language is plain english : DD

i should change my major, english majors are going to be game design majors

Guy: Give me all of your money.
Chap: You can't talk to me that way, I'M BRITISH!
Guy: Well, You can't talk to me that way, I'm brutish.
Chap: Somebody help me, I'm about to lose 300 pounds!
Guy: Why's that a bad thing?
Chap: I'M BRITISH.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2012, 09:15:06 PM »

Twine and Inform come pretty dang close to plain English.

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2012, 10:26:26 PM »

it just causes a lot more syntax errors, since it's harder to remember which words work and which don't

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2012, 09:05:31 AM »

it just causes a lot more syntax errors, since it's harder to remember which words work and which don't
in a way it's pretty cool how the experience of writing a text adventure is pretty much the same as playing one.
Nathan Cash
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2012, 12:41:06 PM »

"We know OTON is a shock to some people, and I want to offer a money-back guarantee. I am confident that OTON can produce 1k unique 2D or 3D game levels. If it does not, you will get your money back, period!"

It doesn't seem like a con to me... But that's just what I think
TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2012, 01:14:02 AM »

How does that prove that it's not a con? I promise you I'll send you 1000 dollars right now. Serious. Internet promise. It's like a pinky swear, except way more legit.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2012, 01:36:14 AM »

if you send me $1000 i will literally make you a game with over one million procedurally generated levels, no joke

$1000 for an hour's worth of work? Hand Money Left Well, hello there! Hand Money Right

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2012, 02:47:15 AM »

"We know OTON is a shock to some people, and I want to offer a money-back guarantee. I am confident that OTON can produce 1k unique 2D or 3D game levels. If it does not, you will get your money back, period!"

It doesn't seem like a con to me... But that's just what I think

One thousand unique game levels?!?! WOW that's like... almost the number of possible 1x1x2 block chunks in Minecraft Mock Anger

Nathan Cash
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2012, 03:24:11 PM »

How does that prove that it's not a con? I promise you I'll send you 1000 dollars right now. Serious. Internet promise. It's like a pinky swear, except way more legit.

Deal! Cant wait to get $1000 :D
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2014, 07:44:24 AM »

So I guess this is coming out now? Who, Me?

I can only imagine it's not really going to literally generate an entire game from scratch. I'm gonna guess it's going to have templates (shooter, platformer, racing game), modifiers (top-down 2D, behind the back 3D), and themes (pixel art, realistically shaded, cartoon-ish graphics / sounds, etc). It'll probably randomly generate a world to do stuff in, and then you can edit it from there (again, guessing).

The site mentions you'll be able to mod your game to work with Windows, Linux, and Android (no Mac support Sad ), which sounds nice, but that sounds like you have to specifically make an OTON game first to port to those platforms. However, the OTON OS is based off of Ubuntu and the specs page shows different actual games in the mock-up like Trine 2 and Doom 3, so I assume they intend to support actual "hand-made" games as well. I'm guessing they mean that from an OTON game, you'll be able to do things to push them to those other platforms, but OTON-compatible games can also come from existing platforms?

No idea if it'll work out or not. Specs aren't bad, I don't think, but the quad-core CPU seems weird and unnecessary a bit, right? I mean, a more powerful dual-core CPU would be modest enough, but most engines don't support quad-core CPUs that well, to my knowledge.

The gesture cameras could be interesting if they work really well, but they're not in all models, which is an odd choice. Anyway, not sure how they're going to pull this off.

A genuinely Linux-based console sounds a bit interesting because it'd be easy to port to, but there's no mention of a graphics card on the specs page, so I dunno about that.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic