Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:17:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsScraps: Modular Vehicle Combat - Vehicle combat with buildable vehicles
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: Scraps: Modular Vehicle Combat - Vehicle combat with buildable vehicles  (Read 63956 times)
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: December 13, 2013, 07:37:35 PM »

Kickstarter update: Yes, Scraps is funded! And therefore there's now a PayPal payment option as well.
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: December 14, 2013, 04:45:40 AM »

Nice one Bill!
Still can't wait for that first multi-player build, gonna be awesome

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: December 14, 2013, 11:17:57 AM »

oh my god, i have had so much fun with this demo. i played on it on the mac from 100% to 3% and then played it another full charge. absolutely crazy.

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: December 16, 2013, 01:34:25 AM »

It’s the final two days for the Kickstarter, and I also managed to fit in a little bit of time to fix a few of the obvious bugs and stuff in the builder release. 0.2.8 is up for download now.

2013-12 – 0.2.8
- Nicer outline shader for people using 4X or 8X MSAA. Also fixed lighting on the ramp
- Power/capacitor values now use scientifically correct units. Edutainment!
- Weapon hover tooltips show power drain
- By popular request, ramp is a bit wider

Bug Fixes:
- Fixed icon image corruption on Mac
- Fixed two more rotation range calculation bugs. These include a fix for weapons spinning where they shouldn’t at low framerates.
- Fixed overlay not showing when returning from Test to Build
- Fixed vehicle not being destroyed correctly when going from test map to main menu
- Fixed parts staying highlighted when going from build screen to game
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: December 16, 2013, 07:06:24 AM »

Hope the KS pulls in a nice boost of funding in the last hours, really want aerial vehicles

Oh, and backed finally!

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: December 16, 2013, 09:49:19 PM »

FINAL DAY!
Malloy
Level 0

Feeka

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 17, 2013, 06:01:16 AM »

Awesome dude!

Best wishes!
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: December 18, 2013, 12:57:38 AM »

The Kickstarter is over. Success! Over $30,000 raised including PayPal pledges.
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: January 06, 2014, 06:08:23 PM »

I've written up a big Kickstarter postmortem post on the main site: http://www.scrapsgame.com/scraps-kickstarter-postmortem
HDSanctum
« Reply #189 on: January 06, 2014, 06:34:58 PM »

Very interesting write up, thanks for being open with your numbers and analysis !

Also, grats on the kickstarter, this game is definitely very promising.
Rusk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 06, 2014, 07:29:06 PM »

Yes, very interesting. Geez, so much work!

Oh btw, at least some traffic came from here. I never saw the game anywhere else.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: January 06, 2014, 08:50:02 PM »

Interesting write-up, shared with it and the Stasis post-mortem with some devs who are in the process of getting Kickstarters ready. Hopefully your experiences will help other developers find success.

I had actually seen Scraps elsewhere, partially because I was the one spreading the word, but I know IndieStatik and IndieGames wrote articles about the game, RPS and Kotaku were mentioned in the post-mortem.

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: January 06, 2014, 11:06:37 PM »

As I said earlier on twitter, thanks again for the super informative post-mortem write-up! Of all the Kickstarter post-mortems I've read so far, it's probably the most detailed and most helpful one.

Also, congrats on both the kickstarter and greenlight success!

Posting here now to follow. Looking forward to seeing future updates.  Gentleman

Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: January 06, 2014, 11:17:43 PM »

That Stasis Kickstarter writeup mentioned above is really worth reading as well. It covers some areas that I missed out, but are nevertheless important - stretch goals, reward levels, and lots of other stuff.

Stasis got Greenlit in the same batch as Scraps, and their Kickstarter raised over $130,000.
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: January 08, 2014, 06:23:48 PM »

Sometimes with games (or any software really) it’ll seem like there’s a logical feature that the developers should add which would clearly make the game better, yet they never do. Sometimes a whole community gets frustrated over this stuff.

In reality, sometimes features that seem like simple changes aren’t actually so simple.

Someone on the Scraps forum made a reasonable feature suggestion yesterday which made me think about this sort of user/programmer dichotomy, so I thought I’d repeat some stuff as a proper post.

Currently, if your vehicle runs out of power for your weapons, their firing will in most cases become staggered, where they’ll fire one at a time. The reason this happens isn’t anything fancy:

• Guns are ready to fire but don’t have enough power available. Power is free to charge up because guns aren’t firing.
  • Power charges up enough that at least one gun can fire.
  • That gun fires, draining some power.
  • The next time power charges up enough, that gun isn’t ready to fire again yet. So another gun fires instead.

I kinda like the result of this system and other people seem to as well. It’s a sort of a Graceful Degradation.

The gun which needs the least amount of power to fire will always fire first, but sometimes there’s more than one weapon that fits that description (because you can have multiple weapons of the same type).

So the suggestion was, instead of firing whatever lowest-power gun was next on the list, why not automatically choose the one which is aiming closest to the enemy?

I do like it when a game automates things for you to get the “best” outcome from your resources, instead of forcing you into micromanagement. It’s a suggestion that makes sense. But a few extra steps would need to be added each time a weapon fired:

• Keep a list of weapons which need the least power to fire
  • If weapons are linked, but they don’t all have enough power to fire:
  • Project a line out from the direction that each of those weapons is currently aiming
  • Check the position of all enemy objects and find which is closest to that line
  • Compare the minimum enemy distance recorded for each line
  • Select the weapon with the smallest distance to fire

Then there are edge-cases to consider, like what happens if there are two weapons aiming at two different enemies and they’re equally close? Probably just take the first one, but maybe it’d be better to auto-target the enemy with the least health. Now we need to check their health as well.

Or how about weapons that fire in an arc? A straight line won’t indicate well what they’ll actually hit, but to do it right we’ll need calculate the actual trajectory the bullet will take. In the end the performance cost might be more than it’s worth for the benefit.

Maybe we can improve performance. Checking the position of every enemy would be slow with many enemies on the map. We could put them into a tree structure to find the relevant ones more quickly, but we’ve probably spent a long time implementing this stuff by now. In reality, sometimes it’s just not worth the time when there are other things to get done.

As a one-man dev team, I see a lot of good suggestions, but I don’t have a lot of time overall. I have a big list of part ideas and lots of feature notes, but there’s a lot of more fundamental stuff to get working first. I still read just about everything on the forum, and if I ignore ideas it’s often because they’d take too much work rather than because they’re bad. Sometimes I add them to my list.

A note on a slightly different issue. Sometimes when the community all really want a feature, and the devs just seem to ignore it forever, it because they’ve written themselves into a corner. Sometimes a feature idea comes along that was just never considered, and would require a huge rewrite to make some seemingly small thing work.

The best programmers can write things in ways which are easily adapted to change. The worst programmers write code that no-one wants to touch lest everything fall apart. Like everyone else, I’m slowly moving somewhere along the long line from worst towards best.

P.S. And sometimes devs keep the game sub-par on purpose so you’ll be more inclined to buy stuff that makes it better. Friends don’t let friends F2P.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: January 08, 2014, 06:31:11 PM »

Hey now, don't blame F2P. It can be done well and fairly and balanced. I've seen numerous IOS games that are free and don't abuse those practices. It's the devs who've decided to take advantage the F2P system in such a way that it hurts the player and the game that should be blamed.

Okay, rant over

Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: January 08, 2014, 06:34:05 PM »

Don't take the last sentence too seriously, I meant it sorta tongue-in-cheek. I, too, realise there is some excellent F2P stuff out there, like Path Of Exile. Maybe I should have said friends don't let friends Pay2Win.  Smiley
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: January 12, 2014, 05:45:05 PM »

I played a little bit of Robocraft today because I hadn't played it since they added multiplayer. I vaguely keep an eye on it because I always worry that their game will end up very similar to mine.

Instead of having a list of servers they automatically start a battle every x amount of seconds for the people waiting, and auto-match you with people driving similar-level vehicles. That could totally backfire if there weren't many people online at a time but there actually seems to be a good amount.

I think the intended scavenge-and-get-to-a-repair-pad system in Scraps is going to be a good idea though. Once you get damaged in Robocraft there's no way to repair, so often you just have to helplessly flop around for a bit until you're put out of your misery.
William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: January 12, 2014, 06:24:05 PM »

I haven't played Robocraft, but just checked out their trailer now. Similar theme/genre, but I think Scraps has a very different feel and vibe to it.

I know what you mean though, I get a slight panic attack every time I see another game with even a remotely similar mechanic.

Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: January 15, 2014, 09:34:36 PM »

I've fixed the icon issue with the OS X version so the Mac builder release is now at 2.8 like the Win and Linux versions.

While doing that I also fixed the km/h vs. mph setting not working since it was a one-line fix, so everything is at 0.2.8.1 now with that fix implemented.

Download from the usual place: www.scrapsgame.com/download

At the moment I'm mostly working on cleaning up and refactoring some code that needs it, so there won't be much visible change to show for a while, but work is being done.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic