Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:10:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsScraps: Modular Vehicle Combat - Vehicle combat with buildable vehicles
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: Scraps: Modular Vehicle Combat - Vehicle combat with buildable vehicles  (Read 63512 times)
thersus
Level 0

Sometimes I'm grumpy, sometimes I'm not.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2013, 07:25:36 PM »

Between the two, I prefer the cell-shaded one. But I liked the metal shading on the video in the first post, which I assume is a basic phong or something like that with no textures?
This game is going to be nice :D

blinkok
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 07:28:09 PM »

i would say that the style of the landscape should determine the style of the vehicle. from the images you have posted the landscape appears to be textured.
in addition i really like your first draft logo. the second one is a bit bland imho.

i get a real Blast corps vibe from this game. if it were me i'd use that game as a bit of a style guide.

My 2D Stuff twitter: @blinkok
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2013, 07:32:17 PM »

I like the cel-shaded look, as well.

Hah, I remember Blast Corps. Really interesting game.

Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2013, 07:38:35 PM »

Between the two, I prefer the cell-shaded one. But I liked the metal shading on the video in the first post, which I assume is a basic phong or something like that with no textures?
This game is going to be nice :D

Good point; that was a specular shader with, actually, a paper texture. Okay, here's everything!

Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2013, 07:42:37 PM »

i would say that the style of the landscape should determine the style of the vehicle. from the images you have posted the landscape appears to be textured.
in addition i really like your first draft logo. the second one is a bit bland imho.

i get a real Blast corps vibe from this game. if it were me i'd use that game as a bit of a style guide.

The landscape needs some sort of texture or there's no real sense of movement, but I'm not sure what to do about the landscape at the moment.

I haven't seen Blast Corps, but I wish I'd seen it in 1997! That looks awesome. The bulldozer goes like 100km/h and every building explodes! That's correct use of gameplay over realism right there.
koiwai
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2013, 03:35:27 AM »

Agree that the style should depend on the landscape style.

To me, #1 looks the best. It is neat, and somehow fits engineering/LEGO theme of the game.
Black outlines are too noisy and redundant in my opinion.

Also, to decide, you can make a screenshot of the car, how it is supposed to look in the real game. Probably, the car will be smaller, then both these textures and the black lines will be hardly visible..

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 12:28:45 AM »

I kind of like the flat-shaded look of the original one, and the cell-shading doesn't do anything for me. I would love to see an Interstate 76, low-poly look to the landscape, or at least to the off-road parts.

Have you thought about putting in a transparent windshield with a guy behind it? I think this wouldn't be so hard, in Unity, and it might change the look of the car a lot, and give the game some extra character.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 01:30:57 AM by Pishtaco » Logged

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 01:23:32 AM »

No cell shading and especially no outlines!
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2013, 02:43:09 PM »

Oh man, I'm having some targeting/raycasting issues. If anyone's particularly knowledgeable in that area: http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/386610/bullets-raycasts-and-obstacles.html
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2013, 02:16:10 PM »

Hey look, engines aren't undefined cuboids anymore.

Also, I no longer need help with the above raycasting issue, as I realised what I wanted to do is actually impossible. Giggle

Edit: Also:

« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 02:53:56 PM by Nition » Logged
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2013, 02:27:31 PM »

I like style 1.

Also, make this game. I will give you moneys for it if you like. Just, for the love of Bleak, make this game.
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2013, 03:00:26 PM »

Yeah, I'm going with a fairly simply textured, non-outlined look for now, although it might still change in the future.
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2013, 05:54:09 PM »

Wärtsilä-Sulzer RTA96-C, Extra Large Engine DLC. Wink
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2013, 07:20:42 PM »

I missed the cartoony, unrealistic graphics Sad
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2013, 11:05:42 AM »

@DLCjoke
Haaaa xD

I'm really loving the latest screenshot, those engines really add detail  Smiley
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2013, 10:13:04 PM »

Made some generators. They're not as interesting as the engines, but they're better than basic shapes.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2013, 11:54:30 PM »

I love the look of that last screenshot, and the new details. Lookin' rad. Hand Thumbs Up Left

Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2013, 09:26:56 PM »

Better chassis and cockpit designs (yeah, they're not that much better) tie things together a bit more cleanly.

I also made a "medium" chassis (that's the small above). Working on some weapons now. Have also been tweaking the physics but there's still a lot that needs messing with there. Plus you know, the millions of other things still to do.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2013, 09:46:02 PM »

I am seriously looking forward to this.
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2013, 03:41:07 PM »

(click for big)

Also, I swear every time I have some problem with slowdown which I think is due to adding tons of objects or whatever, it just turns out that I have some rogue print statement somewhere. Gotta look at the console more often!

Edit: Small Chassis and Medium Chassis being friends:

Spot the problem with the medium chassis' configuration though.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 03:56:09 PM by Nition » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic