Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411472 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 11:13:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsScraps: Modular Vehicle Combat - Vehicle combat with buildable vehicles
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: Scraps: Modular Vehicle Combat - Vehicle combat with buildable vehicles  (Read 63942 times)
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: August 02, 2014, 10:28:04 PM »

This week's update is a bit too long and complicated to convert for TIGSource I think. Damage effects, area effect damage, undo support, and PAX. Plus some techinical stuff!

« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 10:37:47 PM by Nition » Logged
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: August 15, 2014, 09:29:43 PM »

Another longish post: http://www.scrapsgame.com/vehicle-modification-repair-game
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: August 17, 2014, 03:13:15 PM »

PAX Australia is at the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition centre this year. There are two mandatory exam things that everyone doing anything at the centre has to fill out. The questions are... not very relevant to showing a computer game. Some questions from one of them:

Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: August 18, 2014, 09:29:20 PM »

This may be a bug.

Rusk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 22, 2014, 02:14:04 AM »

This may be a bug.

That is funny. You should make a gif of it and post it in the beautiful fails thread! Smiley
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: August 22, 2014, 02:18:51 AM »

This idea really strikes a chord with me!

Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: August 22, 2014, 02:43:37 PM »

This may be a bug.

That is funny. You should make a gif of it and post it in the beautiful fails thread! Smiley

Cool thread. And done.
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: August 31, 2014, 07:12:06 PM »

I'll be bringing an early multiplayer build of Scraps to PAX Australia in Melbourne, and it'll be the only place to play multiplayer for a while. I've made a thread on the forum, and if you're coming to PAX and you post your vehicle file in this thread before October 24th, I'll take it along with me. So if you're building stuff now, I can have it there for you to battle with on the day. More details over in the thread.

To facilitate that, and since the game's in a fairly stable place right now, I've also updated the Builder Demo. Obviously it's been a while since last time. Changes include damage with damage effects, wreckage, and some new block parts.

Changelog for 0.2.11.0:
- Damage and damage effects
- Area effect + visible shockwave for projectile weapons
- Wreckage (collectable)
- Added undo (Ctrl-Z) on the Build screen
- Added new half-block and slope block parts
- Available weapon rotation range updates automatically when parts are destroyed in-game
- Vehicles now have a size limit of 20m in any direction from the centre of the chassis (so max 40m wide etc). This is a safety measure to ensure that vehicles won't overlap each other, for example when spawning at different spawn points. Existing vehicles that are larger will be truncated when loaded.
- Lowpass filter on the music while using some sub-screens
- Unified object pooling system for improved performance. Things like explosions are now pooled and re-used instead of always instantiated
- Tweaked some part stats
- More sound effects
- Updated part drop effect on the Build screen
- Entries in the language list are now always in that language
Bug Fixes:
- Fixed another aiming bug
- Various other fixes

There's a sort-of-bug where the chassis options on the build screen can take a while to appear the first time the game's run. This has been happening since I upgraded Unity (the game's base engine) past 4.2, and I absolutely can't work out what's causing the delay. Unity reports that everything is loaded and fine, but it seems to just really feel like hiding it for a while. Anyway, it's not a big deal so I'll look at it again in the future.

Over the last fortnight I've mainly been working on various components of multiplayer, but I also cleaned up the vehicle testing mode so that it works well with the new damage systems. I was hoping to get the respawning system working but ended up having to fix up a bunch of other stuff, plus one of my hard drives died - the one with Scraps on it - and that lost me about a day of work coming back from the last backup. So that was a bit annoying, but I'm still basically on-track with where I want to be for PAX.

This week I also want to share a little thing I wrote up that represents where I'd like Scraps to go eventually. This is somewhat representative of the vision I have (and have always had) in my head. One thing I like about Scraps is that it can be as much based around clever choice of different functional parts all working together as it can be about creative designs. I hope this sort of gives an idea of that too:

The Glass Cannon (a hypothetical Scraps combat scenario)

The “glass cannon” is a small and fast wheeled vehicle with an oversized energy weapon. To keep its speed up and cost down, it doesn't have enough power to use its weapon more than once or twice in a row before needing to wait and recharge. It has little traditional armour but maintains a small energy shield. For power, it uses a cheap reactor core that can be pushed above 100% - if the user's vehicle can keep it cool. The GC (glass cannon) only has a small heatsink, so it can't really do this. It mostly keeps the reactor on around 80% power.

The GC's driver wants to take out a large, powerful and slow target. If the large target gets a good shot in, it might be able to take out the GC in one hit – especially if the GC's shields are down.

The GC's driver flanks the target, hidden behind some hills. Moments before cresting the hill to meet the target, the driver shuts off the shields and pushes the reactor to maximum, now rapidly dumping excess energy into the capacitors. The heatsink is now glowing red hot and overheat warnings are starting to appear on-screen.

One shot, and the large target's shields are down. With its own shields off and the reactor on maximum, the GC's energy store is rapidly filling up again, almost ready for another shot. Meanwhile the large target is swivelling its cannons around to meet this small and vulnerable target, and the GC's reactor is overheating. But the GC's weapon is powerful, and it'll only take one more successful shot to bring this one down...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 07:19:43 PM by Nition » Logged
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: September 06, 2014, 02:53:45 AM »

Just a quick note: If you have an issue with the previous builder demo release where some of your vehicle parts are solid black, I've fixed it in the current download.
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: September 14, 2014, 04:56:40 PM »

On Sunday I did some proper LAN play testing. The basic game mechanics are all working and synchronising nicely over the network. I've now got a whole lot of notes on minor bugs and issues, and game mechanics that need to be tweaked, but none of it is serious stuff. No crashes, no major synchronisation issues, no terrible problems with the game mechanics, and my playtesters didn't want to stop playing which has to be a good sign.

The game's still a ways from being publicly testable because I've got to set everything up in just the right way - player's can't join after a game starts yet, and they can't quit either. Cleaning up properly after people quit should be easy enough but correctly synchronising everything when people join mid-way through a game will be more difficult, mainly due to how players can transition between different states in the game as they're playing (in-game, evac in progress, build screen after evac, waiting for respawn...). That's not necessarily needed in time for demoing at events like PAX though.

I did a quick 1v1 playtest on Saturday and as I suspected, the DustBowl map was way too big for games with few players, so I threw together a sort of mini version in literally about an hour:

"SmallMap." It's sort of a figure 8 with a plain untextured bridge in the middle. This is not a map that'll be in the game, but something similar might be, just without being a blatant copy of the DustBowl map.

On Sunday I had a couple of people over to play a three-player game. The map actually played well apart from some awkward terrain around the bridge area. And here's some video of it!

Yes, I'm still using a 4:3 monitor. And a trackball mouse.
Rusk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 20, 2014, 12:12:01 PM »

Trackballs are great, except that they usually don't have a scroll wheel. I sometimes dream of a logitech marble mouse with a scroll wheel.

The game looks like great fun. I haven't played it since before the KS, I'm waiting for a multiplayer version.
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: September 20, 2014, 01:16:26 PM »

Trackballs are great, except that they usually don't have a scroll wheel. I sometimes dream of a logitech marble mouse with a scroll wheel.

The game looks like great fun. I haven't played it since before the KS, I'm waiting for a multiplayer version.

I use a Marble Mouse with this: http://www.fewprojects.com/marblescroll-for-logitech-trackman-marble
Lets you hold a button to turn the ball into a scroll wheel. It doesn't work in Visual Studio though. Sad
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: September 20, 2014, 05:08:42 PM »

A couple of people have reported vehicles getting all floaty-feeling after losing a lot of mass in parts. This was pretty confusing to pin down because all my vehicle stats seemed to be correct. Like, I build a vehicle which starts off the same as a floaty vehicle ends up after taking the damage - so it's a duplicate of the post-damage vehicle. Centre of mass seems to match. Suspension values match. Weight matches. Anti-roll matches. But they clearly behave very differently.

I've just worked out that it's some sort of issue with changing mass on vehicles with wheel colliders: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/order-of-setting-rigidbody-mass-and-centre-of-mass-affect-wheel-collider-behaviour.269657
I'm still trying to work out a way to "reset" the system so the wheel colliders will behave like they should if the updated values were the initial values.
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: September 21, 2014, 02:22:17 PM »

Fixed the floaty vehicles issue, and a few other issues, plus added a Russian translation. As always, you can just delete your old installation folder and replace it with the new download. Vehicle saves and settings are stored in a different location and will be saved.

Scraps is also going to be at DIGITAL NATIONZ in Auckland, New Zealand again this year. It’s this coming weekend (the 27th and 28th), and although I only got final confirmation that I was accepted last week, yes you will be able to play multiplayer. As with PAX, I’ll have two laptops for 1v1 matches.

Changelog:
2014-09 – 0.2.12.0
– Added Russian translation (I still haven’t sorted out text cutoff issues etc in translation files – will do eventually)
– New game logo. Removed the old background which didn’t match well
– Test map cubes are a bit harder to destroy
– Game now checks for invalid part placement when vehicles load
Bug Fixes:
– Fixed doubled-up “would you like to save?” message
– Fixed the game not recognising the cockpit being destroyed if it was destroyed as part of a stack rather than directly
– Fixed stragely floaty vehicle behaviour after losing a large amount of mass. Unity bug: http://bit.ly/1uTfX9X
– Fixed some issues with allowable part placement and wheel suspension (invalid vehicles will get parts removed when loaded)
– Fixed an issue on Mac where using an anti-aliasing type other than MSAA would cause the Unity resolution offset bug: http://bit.ly/RxZLfx

Who knows what’s going on internally in the Unity engine to cause the correlation in that last one.
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: September 23, 2014, 12:39:22 PM »

I just discovered there's a WAP version of TIGSource. I'd love to see the numbers on how many people are still viewing via a WAP browser on like their Nokia 3330.

Add ;wap to the end of any forum URL for ancient mobile compatible goodness. What, you wanted images?
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: September 27, 2014, 06:05:56 PM »

I took Scraps to Digital Nationz in Auckland NZ all day on Saturday. Set up two laptops with 1v1 mutliplayer.

It was good times. I have lots more notes from seeing people play plus some suggestions. Good to have something proper for people to play, and some people stayed and played for quite a while which was good to see.

For PAX I'm going to try and source another laptop. 1v1 is okay but often someone is building a vehicle and the other person is stuck waiting, which isn't so great. Four laptops would be even better, but I don't think I even have that much booth space.

Dev work continues -  in the last week I've been mostly bug fixing and getting through the rest of my list of minor changes from the last lot of playtesting. Now I've got three more pages of notes, but it's all good stuff (meaning it's things like "repair mode should allow..." rather than "game crashes if..."). Smiley
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 06:11:50 PM by Nition » Logged
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: October 11, 2014, 06:23:20 PM »

What's been going on in the two weeks since the DigitalNationz expo? Let's take a trip to the World Of Yesterday...

I've got some PAX prep to do that isn't coding stuff. Preparing booth content, contacting press etc. The PAX booth has a big double-banner - two tall banners right next to each other. I made some art for them:

Not as cool as Swordy's awesome fiery banners, but my design skills have their limits. I hacked in a system to take a super high res game screenshot for the vehicles.

I also seem to be amassing various Scraps stuff:

I'm working on some tweaks and improvements to the multiplayer based on feedback from DigitalNationz a couple of weeks ago, but I also spent some time on the beginnings of an AI for single-player.

I've actually got someone who's probably going to do the AI work for Scraps. That's right, I might be hiring someone else to do something for once! It's a guy I know locally who I know is an excellent developer.

I set up a rudimentary AI system so he could get a feel for it and how hard it might be to do. My example AI drove around randomly and fired its guns. Not exactly super intelligent:

As of yesterday we already have AI that finds a path to their target using a navmash and drives towards it, and what I think is particularly cool is that even though it's still super basic, it can already be a lot of fun. Here I am messing around with the simple AI:

The current AI is also completely fearless and never stops driving full-speed towards the enemy for anything.

When Scraps is ready for an Early Access release early next year, it'll have some AI in it for single-player gaming. A much smarter AI than you see above.
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: October 24, 2014, 07:56:32 PM »

Not much time for a big update today. Scraps will be at PAX Australia in Melbourne this time next week with playable multiplayer. And here's a video of the in-progress AI fighting amongst themselves:

They don't know how to repair yet, they always fight to the death.
Nition
Level 4

Some random guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: November 06, 2014, 03:19:48 PM »

Scraps PAX review here: http://www.scrapsgame.com/scraps-pax-australia-2014

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 17, 2014, 01:03:57 PM »

Gimme a magnet! Beg
This game is the perfectest road warring game ever in existence and I want to have it.

Yeah.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic