Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1059397 Posts in 43074 Topics- by 35026 Members - Latest Member: The Sane Psycho

October 31, 2014, 02:10:48 PM
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTutorialsGame Maker Books?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Game Maker Books?  (Read 1624 times)
PogueSquadron
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: December 09, 2012, 06:04:54 PM »

In my effort to find more, easy to follow Game Maker tutorials (specifically for GML), I've found that many of them are either on YouTube (and thus harder to follow), or they put heavy emphasis on GameMaker's drag and drop interface.

I'm aware of two books for Game Maker: The Game Maker's Apprentice and The Game Maker's Companion. The former seems like a very basic intro to Game Maker and it's D&D functions, while the latter starts to get more into GML.

Does anyone have any experience with these books, or possibly any others that would be helpful?
ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 04:50:55 AM »

both are way too basic for anyone who has created even a small game; they're intended to get absolute beginners somewhere to start with

i'm afraid there are no intermediate or advanced game maker books. maybe i should write one, haha

here's something i wrote four years ago which is somewhat in that vein: http://studioeres.com/games/content/7-game-maker-tips-experienced-users

ink.inc
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 05:14:20 AM »

who needs books when F1 and skype chats will tell you everything
Ant
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 05:39:13 AM »

The Questions forum at the GMC is very active, you can ask specific coding questions and within 2 minutes somebody will probably have an answer. You're best off searching first since it's likely somebody will have already asked, though use this link as the built in forum search is awful.
ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 03:03:29 PM »

usually the answers on the gmc aren't always optimal however; i've gotten a lot of bad advice there, and seen a lot of bad ideas promoted (largely because that forum is mostly composed of 14 year olds). it's a good resource despite that, but take what you read there with a grain of salt

as a recent example (although this isn't specific to coding), i saw a thread there recently asking if it's a good idea to charge people a small amount of money to play the demo of your game. their idea was to charge people 5$ for the demo and 10$ for the full game. he was asking if this was a good idea. he got some positive responses, with people saying that was indeed a good idea

makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 10:35:36 AM »

I migt write one after The Line is finished, although theres stuff Ive neer used.

Makerimages-Its in the pixel
JDM
Level 0

Quattro Bajeena

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 01:29:34 AM »

Using the GM forums has been almost nothing but frustration for me.  I'll try solution B, post to the thread that B didn't work and someone will say "well, B should work. try it lol." And that's the end of it.  I'd say feel free to keep hitting this place up.  Or you can try contacting me directly if you feel like you're spamming the forum (the way I use Game Maker seems a bit different from the way others do, but I can still probably be of some help).

C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 09:41:12 AM »

usually the answers on the gmc aren't always optimal however; i've gotten a lot of bad advice there, and seen a lot of bad ideas promoted (largely because that forum is mostly composed of 14 year olds). it's a good resource despite that, but take what you read there with a grain of salt
my experience is there's usually a bunch of dum responses and then there's about a 50/50 chance of someone who actually knows what they're talking about showing up and resolving the issue lol

only talking about technical/programming related stuff here

but yeah OP, if you have any questions, feel free to ask here Smiley

RyanHuggins
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 11:25:12 PM »

I've gotten literally no issues resolved at the GMC forums. Once you get the very basics of the GM down, the help file easily becomes your best friend. Just with like most languages, there'll be code that you didn't know existed until you find it in documentation!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic