Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 09:49:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs(OUYA) [UNITY] Super Space Bucks
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: (OUYA) [UNITY] Super Space Bucks  (Read 7131 times)
Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« on: December 10, 2012, 01:18:38 PM »

Updated this post, March 6th 2013.
So it's finally time for a devlog.
Originally we started this for the OUYA dev console contest, which long since over.
A lot of stuff has happened, the game has evolved quite a lot. Some of the stuff here is quite outdated.
I'll start replacing the old stuff and showing the game as it is now.

Gameplay
The game is a simplistic 2-button physics-based multiplayer game where you manuever using orbits.
Button A is for activating the thruster, button B is for using powerups.
There is no manual steering, movement is done by timing your release from the planet you are orbiting and rocketing to the next planet.
Levels are randomly generated and all entities spawn randomly (coins, players, powerups, etc.).

Goal
The goal of the game is to collect coins, in the most basic game mode the winner is the first to collect 100 coins. There are multiple ways you can lose your coins, by various hazards and other players using powerups against you.

Upcoming Stuff
To keep the game whacky and fun, we are planning on including various enemies and map entities that makes it harder for players. Like alien slimes, comets, black holes.
There are 3 basic powerups in the game already, missile, mine and shield.
We are going to expand that and include special powerups boxes that are random, some with negative effects -- like a "hot-potato" bomb you have to pass on to someone else before it explodes -- but mostly positive ones, like the super star which makes you invincible and able to knock out other players and objects.

The game currently supports online play. But local play is something we've decided is important to include for OUYA.

Right now we are aiming on finishing up the basic mechanics and then we will just keep adding stuff based on a priority list. Aiming for a late April release, just after the OUYA is out.

The following are just mockups and not in-game screens.

(click to see full)

(click to see full)

(click to see full)

We just recently had the idea of using tiny spaceship dudes to represent the players and give the game a more human touch. As you can also see in the mockups above.
If time permits we are including a few different ones, but it is not a priority.

Here is an in-game screenshot. As you can see, it is very much an in-dev version.
The bitmap font is from a previous project and the "players" are dummies that are just orbiting.

(click to see full)

Sound cloud soundcloud.com/niebule/sets/super-space-bucks

Follow our twitter at @VoltwarGames Hand Any Key
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 03:44:39 PM by Seiseki » Logged

Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 10:19:56 AM »

I never expected getting publicity would be this hard.
Seems like we waited too long to get the ball rolling.

I'm gonna try to put together a video soon so we have some gameplay to show. Smiley

Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 10:25:03 AM »

About time you started talking about your game! I'm really liking the visuals, and I'd love to see it in action.  Grin

Niebule
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 04:10:13 PM »

Oh!
And Finally I'm a member here too!
Can't believe I haven't registered earlier, but hey, I'm quite the busy guy^^

So this is our game, I'm on soundfx and music, although I have not had as much time to work with this game as I'd like. Gonna try to step it up a bit from here on out!

Hope you're all as excited about this as we are! (Probably not though, right? xD)

Cheers Beer!
Niebule @ Thinking Fungus
Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 10:16:25 AM »

Niebule slacks off..
Seiseki uses devblog, it's super effective.

Since writing the first post we've added parallax mapping, fixed up the font and added simple player collisions. But that's only code-wise.
I've been working on fonts, gui and a few animations.

We are working hard on getting it ready for a gameplay video, hopefully this saturday.

Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 03:40:17 PM »

Finally, there is a gameplay video..
It's very rough and there's tons of awful ghosting and issues but still, it's a video and that's what counts.
And due to multiplayer being completely bugged we could only do a 2 player video, but we had to have something to show if we're gonna have a shot at getting an OUYA devkit..

Working on a quick website too.
Wish we had planned more, but it's awesome to have something like this as motivation, it has really brought the team together to get this done.

edit: New video with better quality.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 10:58:45 AM by Seiseki » Logged

avinashv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 07:03:26 AM »

That video looks freaking amazing. Love the music, the little dotted trail, the cutesy art and the way the gameplay looks.

I'll be keeping my eye on this.
Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 07:48:30 AM »

Thanks! :D

The dotted trail, although cute, is only for testing :D
We're going to have smooth trails matching the color of the players ship.
And of course, rainbow trails when you get the super star, possibly with a nyancat like song playing :>

Also the quality of the video leaves much to be desired, expect a better one really soon.

--------------------------

All this social networking is crazy.. Crazy
There's facebook, twitter, youtube channel, indieDB, forums, etc.
And every single one requires some kind of banner or header and background..
Will take me an entire day to make some kind of consistent graphic to use for it all.

I made this logo last week for our devteam.
But it's not really working at smaller sizes.

Gonna have to spend an entire day design a proper logo, banners, backgrounds and to make sure all the social sites are linked together and that the graphics all match.  WTF

And although it was a rush job, I'm pretty satisfied with this site: http://superspacebucks.thinkingfungus.com/

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 01:43:37 AM »

Loving the look and feel of this, are you going to do things with different orbit sizes and how you latch onto different planets? At the moment it looks as though the orbit height of each planet is the same and that you just have to crudely smash into the orbit to get going.

Maybe you could have a sort of "null gravity" system: if holding the button, gravity is not applied and you drift, releasing the button allows the planets to apply their gravity, thus manoeuvring around would be a case of making judgement calls on the distance and density of planets and tappy-tapping to apply their gravity...

Edit Having read that back I realise the goal is super-simplistic, nana can play (and beat) the teenagers... maybe a realistic physics simulation isn't best idea! Heh.

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 01:18:05 PM »

Maybe you could have a sort of "null gravity" system: if holding the button, gravity is not applied and you drift, releasing the button allows the planets to apply their gravity, thus manoeuvring around would be a case of making judgement calls on the distance and density of planets and tappy-tapping to apply their gravity...

That's pretty much how it works right now and different sized orbits were added shortly after this vid.
When you use the thruster there's a null-gravity effect. So you can choose to skip planets and do some interesting maneuvers by holding down the button.

And yes, the orbits are quite rough and the ship sorta latches onto orbits and turns on a whim.
But I think adding a minimum speed and max turn ratio/speed could really smoothen things out, but we haven't messed around with that yet. The current physics are actually quite realistic code-wise, but it gets weird because planets are 2D and not 3D.

Also, graphics-wise I've decided to change the theme a bit to cutesy robots and more tech stuff.
I've been working on animations and juiciness so there's not much to show, but here is some at least.

Some animation practice:

« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 01:51:54 PM by Seiseki » Logged

Tiago_BinaryPig
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 01:50:17 PM »

Cartoon art style always catches my eye. So cool! Kiss

I can already imagine playing this with some friends for a while, we need more local coop games Smiley

Last but not least, that dead frame, awesome.

Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 02:11:27 PM »

Thanks!

The astronaut avatars are supposed to constantly float up and down like they are hovering.
The sideway rotation when dying enhances the feel of losing control, sorta like a dead fish I guess..
It kinda creeps me out :D

Since we added crazy collisions where the ships spin out of control, this animation was necessary :D

The game is a lot more crazy looking -- gameplay-wise -- and polished now, but I think it will be a while before we release another video.

Niebule
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 02:40:09 PM »

Okay, so here's two samples of how the music is going to sound like for the game, enjoy! Smiley

https://soundcloud.com/niebule/sets/super-space-bucks

Petey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 07:51:21 PM »

Looks pretty slick!

From that first post it'd be cool if that green alien guy's eyelids blinked horiztonally (like a sliding door) Smiley

Made Cannon Brawl - Worked on ABZÛ - Now making Kingdoms And Castles
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 06:02:19 PM »

this looks very nice!

Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 01:49:29 PM »

Some new stuff I'm working on.
Been re-working and updating a lot of the graphics old graphics, but also adding a ton of new enemies.

Gonna try some fully body animations for the space dudes, so I adjusted them to be easier to work with and also have hands and feet for gestures and such.

Niebule
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 04:34:19 AM »

Okay...

Well, I had sort of a mishap with the music. I was gathering some information and inspiration from "Mega Man X".
What I did is that I used the same tempo for my latest song as the MMX theme has.
From there I tried to imitate the song from memory.. turns out I had a better memory than I though I had, so the song sounds waaaay to much like the original MMX Theme.
Because of this mishap, we can not use this song for our game, because everyone would feel like it was a total ripoff.. So, instead I share this looped tune with all of you!

Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/niebule/megablue

:D
Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 12:54:28 PM »

Posted some new animations on our indieDB page and managed to break into top 100, woo! Beer!
Tells me this new art direction is paying off Smiley

So have some more art!

« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 01:27:50 PM by Seiseki » Logged

farmer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 01:13:32 PM »

The artwork looks great, and the gameplay looks like it could get pretty crazy awesome.

Will this be available for other platforms or is it just OUYA only?

Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 01:22:39 PM »

The artwork looks great, and the gameplay looks like it could get pretty crazy awesome.

Will this be available for other platforms or is it just OUYA only?

Thanks!
We will most likely release on PC sometime after the OUYA release and also look into other android devices like tablets and phones.

Hopefully we can make the multiplayer cross-platform.

Also, we have decided to do singleplayer as well, which will be possibly even more crazy. (hence the enemies) But I'm kinda waiting until we can post some screens and do a gameplay video before promoting the whole singleplayer deal.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic